Roy Keane

TrentVilla

When the players come face to face with Roy Keane in the dressing room, do you think they see Roy Keane the ex-Sunderland and Ipswich manager, or Roy Keane the Manchester United captain that won countless domestic titles and the Champions League?

I think the role of no.2 is perfect for him. No chequebook responsibility as the manager, but if he can instill some of that steel and winning mentality into the players then it's a no-brainer for me.

When your management team have as many honours as PL and RK I think it brings a new level of respect from the players.

Lambert winning the European Cup had no influence whatsoever on the team during his time here. I don't see a failed manager coming in even if it is Roy Keane will make any difference to that.

I disagree. Roy Keane is as high profile a player as you get. I wouldn't be surprised if half our players had no idea that Lambert was a Champions League winner.

Roy Keane left Man Utd 9 years ago. Given the age of most of our players, they would've watched him on tv as they were growing up. They'll know all about him and, I'm guessing, that the no.2 will spend more time with them than the manager.

I think it's a good move by the club, as we're a bit of a pushover at the moment.

There's only so much an assistant can do. He's not going to make us world beaters and he's not going to relegate us. While Lerner is still here any people coming into the club are short term thoughts to helping us survive.

Yeah, I too see it as a short-term move, but I doubt we would get a better short-term assistant given the circumstances.

You don't think our players know that Lambert is a Champions League winner?

Who knows what our players know, or more importantly, care about. 

A lot of them would be around 6 or 7 years old when Lambert won the CL, with a German club. It may as well have been during WW2 as far as the 'yoof' as concerned. Brap!!

Almost certainly all of them will have seen Roy Keane lift trophy after trophy however. 

Edited by StanBalaban

I think it's a good move by the club, as we're a bit of a pushover at the moment.

I've read this kind of thing a few times. Do people really think Keane can teach people his way? I don't believe courage, desire and aggression can be taught.

I think aggression can be taught.

Courage is something you are either born with or not.

Desire can be installed over time.

Since you wish to pursue this then i will grant you your wish.

He didn't do a fine job at Sunderland. Yes he got them promoted and after spending 80m left them in relegation trouble. How on anyone's planet is that doing a fine job. O'Neill got a lot of stick from fans for spending that kind of money and getting us to sixth. According to media reports the players at Sunderland actually celebrated when he left as they were so glad to see the back of him.

Yes he was sent home but you don't mention the circumstances behind that. He announced that he was pulling out of the squad due to poor training facilities, travel arrangements and so on and then had a change of mind. He then verbally abused the manager. He forced the issue knowing full well what was going to happen and gave the manager little choice but to act.   

Gah. I could care less about Roy Keane, but I'm really not following your objections. 

He doesn't have a stellar record in management? Well, quelle surprise. That might be why he's being offered a job as assistant manager. The thing about managers with unblemished records of success, is that clubs often want to appoint them as managers

• Like 1

Preparation, especially in the bigger matches, can certainly be taught.

Agree with that, its something Lambert is unable to do most games. Maybe Keane could bring that.

But Keane wasn't brilliant because he was prepared. I just don't think you can coach the qualities that made Keane the player he was.

He didn't do a fine job at Sunderland. Yes he got them promoted and after spending 80m left them in relegation trouble. How on anyone's planet is that doing a fine job. O'Neill got a lot of stick from fans for spending that kind of money and getting us to sixth. According to media reports the players at Sunderland actually celebrated when he left as they were so glad to see the back of him.

Yes he was sent home but you don't mention the circumstances behind that. He announced that he was pulling out of the squad due to poor training facilities, travel arrangements and so on and then had a change of mind. He then verbally abused the manager. He forced the issue knowing full well what was going to happen and gave the manager little choice but to act.   

Gah. I could care less about Roy Keane, but I'm really not following your objections. 

He doesn't have a stellar record in management? Well, quelle surprise. That might be why he's being offered a job as assistant manager. The thing about managers with unblemished records of success, is that clubs often want to appoint them as managers

On that basis would you be happy to have Lambert as an assistant manager after watching the drivel his team has produced over the past two seasons?

My objections to Keane coming in go further than that. I'm concerned about how he will react under pressure if we don't get new owners and we have to make do with what we have.

In case anyone is interested below is a table of manager records for Roy Keane and Paul Lambert:

Manager Team Managed Won Drawn Lost Win%
Keane Sunderland 100 42 17 41 42%
Ipswich 81 33 25 23 40.74%
Total 181 75 42 64 41.5%
Lambert Aston Villa 85 27 19 39 31.76%
Norwich 142 70 35 37 49.3%
Colchester 42 14 7 21 33.33%
Total 269 111 61 97 41.3%

So if we go purely on stats Roy Keane's record is actually better than Paul Lambert's.

On that basis would you be happy to have Lambert as an assistant manager after watching the drivel his team has produced over the past two seasons?

My objections to Keane coming in go further than that. I'm concerned about how he will react under pressure if we don't get new owners and we have to make do with what we have.

I have no idea about Lambert. That's because I only have a hazy idea of what an assistant manager actually does. For all I know, it might suit his talents better. I was merely pointing out that managers with spotless resumes don't end up being assistant managers. 

As to your second objection, that's fair enough I suppose, but it's just a guess at the end of the day isn't it? He might well not care that much, he does have at least one other job after all. 

is there any history between Keane and Hutton?

it's just that today's Independent had a really odd line:

(Keane)... is mulling over a move to Villa Park. Perhaps Villa will offer him Alan Hutton on a long lead to take for walks now his labrador,Triggs, Keane’s famous walking partner back in 2002, is no longer with us.

In case anyone is interested below is a table of manager records for Roy Keane and Paul Lambert:

Total 181 75 42 64 41.5%

So if we go purely on stats Roy Keane's record is actually better than Paul Lambert's.

Lambert record at Wycombe was 40.7 %, and his record at Livingston was 15.7%

is there any history between Keane and Hutton?

it's just that today's Independent had a really odd line:

(Keane)... is mulling over a move to Villa Park. Perhaps Villa will offer him Alan Hutton on a long lead to take for walks now his labrador,Triggs, Keane’s famous walking partner back in 2002, is no longer with us.

Think it's probably more a general reference to the way the club have been treating Hutton these last two years. 

Total 181 75 42 64 41.5%

Lambert record at Wycombe was 40.7 %, and his record at Livingston was 15.7%

Thanks for that - makes his career record even worse

Â