Philippe Senderos

samjp26

Not a bad signing.... He's ok but has a tendency to lapse in concentration.... As a number 3 he will do considering he's a free agent... Played for some big clubs so I don't mind if we get him... Means we don't have the two penalty givers playing!!! But okore and vlaar will be the main 2 I hope!!

Edited by Mattyp_avfc

People are freaking out thinking signing Senderos means no takeover will happen, but I think the length of the deal will indicate where we're at. If he signs a 1 year deal he's back up and coming in as a squad player, and it could mean anything from a takeover is imminent to still a ways off and the squad needs filling in the meantime.

If he signs a 2 or 3 year deal though, I fear dark dark days are ahead for our club...

It will be a three year deal.

He would just find another club if we were only offering 1 season.

It doesn't really make a difference though, a new owner will be able to afford his contract (when we eventually find one).

He's arguably better than Clark and Baker but not as good as Vlaar - I cannot compare him to Okore as I haven't seen enough of the latter.

As experienced defenders go, we currently only have Vlaar at the club. Senderos will bring a lot of experience too, which will help our younger centre backs to develop.

He's not the most inspirational signing but he's coming and therefore I'll get behind him (until he slices the ball out for a corner and I'll boo him to hell ;) )

my Arsenal supporting mate said he was voted as one of their worst players in their history on a forum of theirs. Wow that takes some doing. It was a while ago. I saw him last season more than 5-6 times and he wasn't very good. We should have gone for Brede Hangeland. Also.. why the rush to bring him in? why not wait at least 3-4 weeks to see if a deal is close?

Edited by KSV

my Arsenal supporting mate said he was voted as one of their worst players in their history on a forum of theirs. Wow that takes some doing. It was a while ago.

Impressive considering they once had Pascal Cygan.
  • Like 1

my Arsenal supporting mate said he was voted as one of their worst players in their history on a forum of theirs. Wow that takes some doing. It was a while ago. I saw him last season more than 5-6 times and he wasn't very good. We should have gone for Brede Hangeland. Also.. why the rush to bring him in? why not wait at least 3-4 weeks to see if a deal is close?

Without meaning to be rude, I couldn't care less what Arsenal fans think of him. They are at a completely different level to us so their view of him doesn't really seem relevant to our current level besides I recall people from Gent saying Benteke was no good and various other examples. I'd rather wait and see what he is like playing for us before judging him.

As for Hangeland, he is 3 years older which is a consideration. 

As for why the rush, Senderos is on a free it is very unlikely he will be around in 5-6 weeks, I would also say as I've said consistently that I think we will start the season under Lerner's ownership but that is for another thread.

• Like 2

Any reason he only made 5 apps for Valencia?

Yes - the reason for that is wikipedia info's reliability.

He's played quite a bit for them, actually, over 800 minutes, and probably would have played more if not for a calf injury. He's not coming here to sit on the bench. I think he'll start more than half of the games at CB ( barring a takeover ).  

Some views from Fulham fans:

http://vivaelfulhamforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=958&p=3100

It's a bit worrying they think that a 34 year old Aaron Hughes (remember him guys?) is a better option than him. And from their analysis of his defending, he sounds an awful lot like Baker & Clark.

let's just wait and see shall we

Wait and see if he turns into a world class defender?

Some views from Fulham fans:

http://vivaelfulhamforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=958&p=3100

It's a bit worrying they think that a 34 year old Aaron Hughes (remember him guys?) is a better option than him. And from their analysis of his defending, he sounds an awful lot like Baker & Clark.

let's just wait and see shall we

Wait and see if he turns into a world class defender?

Yes because there is nothing between terrible and world class.

• Like 1

I think the main reason people are complaining is not Senderos specifically as nobody really knows how good or not he maybe for us.

I think it is more the implications for a takeover. If a buyer was imminent and looking to invest I don't think this signing would be made. It suggests we are still in the looking phase which may take months or even years.

It is that frustration which is being directed on to Senderos and colouring their view of his football ability.

Very poor defender who is the type of player clubs who will be relegated sign. Doesn't improve us at all given that we already have Clark and baker as cover for CB. Very poor signing if it happens.

Â