Philippe Senderos

samjp26

I have a feeling lots of us will find after 4 games of the season that he was a useful signing. I can understand the doom and gloom because we're Villa fans, but I think it will be OK. His wage interests me, as he must be on a relatively decent Premiership wage which suggests Lerner is being a bit more lenient on the wage bill, possibly meaning he doesn't expect to be paying it much longer. I doubt Keane is the cheapest assistant Lambert could have got either.

Some views from Fulham fans:

http://vivaelfulhamforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=958&p=3100

It's a bit worrying they think that a 34 year old Aaron Hughes (remember him guys?) is a better option than him. And from their analysis of his defending, he sounds an awful lot like Baker & Clark.

let's just wait and see shall we
Wait and see if he turns into a world class defender?

Yes because there is nothing between terrible and world class.

Sarcasm Trent. Sarcasm.

I suppose the issue is: he may be crap but is he a step up from the crap we have now?

The more general point - and this applies to Keane's possible appointment as well - is that it s hard to know how to react to anything that happens this summer until we know the bigger picture of what is happening about ownership of the club, the future investment there will be, and the status of the manager and current squad.

I find it impossible to know how to react to the possibility of signing Senderos or Keane as asst manager because I have no idea of where the club is going and whether there will soon be a rapid overhaul on the playing side.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

I suppose the issue is: he may be crap but is he a step up from the crap we have now?

Better than Baker, that's about all.

and that's hardly a 24 carat recommendation.  

The more general point - and this applies to Keane's possible appointment as well - is that it s hard to know how to react to anything that happens this summer until we know the bigger picture of what is happening about ownership of the club, the future investment there will be, and the status of the manager and current squad.

I find it impossible to know how to react to the possibility of signing Senderos or Keane as asst manager because I have no idea of where the club is going and whether there will soon be a rapid overhaul on the playing side.

Good post.

He's probably a step up from the crap we have now. If we sign 11 crap, but less crap, players than we have now, we might finish 15th next year.

Dare to dream.

my Arsenal supporting mate said he was voted as one of their worst players in their history on a forum of theirs. Wow that takes some doing. It was a while ago. I saw him last season more than 5-6 times and he wasn't very good. We should have gone for Brede Hangeland. Also.. why the rush to bring him in? why not wait at least 3-4 weeks to see if a deal is close?

Without meaning to be rude, I couldn't care less what Arsenal fans think of him. They are at a completely different level to us so their view of him doesn't really seem relevant to our current level besides I recall people from Gent saying Benteke was no good and various other examples. I'd rather wait and see what he is like playing for us before judging him.

As for Hangeland, he is 3 years older which is a consideration. 

As for why the rush, Senderos is on a free it is very unlikely he will be around in 5-6 weeks, I would also say as I've said consistently that I think we will start the season under Lerner's ownership but that is for another thread.

Most of us who watch the premier league regularly would have seen him play quite a bit. He isn't very good mate. You can wait and see him wear our shirt and be shit in it if you like. Good luck to him though. If we are starting the season without a change of ownership I can understand that signing him now matters. Which is probably just another disappointment. They cant blame anyone for not renewing their season tickets for the upcoming season though..

As for Hangeland. If this defender is a stop gap.. then if its only for another year.. I would prefer the older Brede than Senderos.

Edited by KSV

My view on it is this, he is coming as a back-up. We cannot be left in a situation where Clark and Baker are alongside one another. With the injury to Okore, the injuries to Vlaar over a crucial period in Xmas. Think PL is trying to shore that up. The only time I seen him play this season was against us, to be honest he didn't do a bad job on Benteke. I am sure he has had stinkers as many have said. For me I'd rather the money we do have be spent on the crucial areas of the pitch i.e. midfieldcreative areas.

• Like 2

I play football with a few fulham fans, season ticket holders. I asked them there thoughts and they thought he was decent. Solid and chipped in with a few goals.

End of the day he is experienced enough to know when to send it to row z, and to not panic. Which is an upgrade on baker and clark.

• Like 1

He's probably not as bad as people are making out.

He's played 84 games for Arsenal, 14 games for AC Milan, 2 games for Everton, 57 games for Fulham, 5 games for Valencia.

If he was that rubbish, he wouldn't have played this many games for decent clubs in the top leagues in Europe.

He'll be good as back-up for Okore & Vlaar.

Edited by ender4

Where did the statistic that he played 5 games for Valencia come from? People keep saying it but it's wrong!. He played 10 games for Valencia, 8 starts and 2 brought on as sub. Also he was out with a hamstring injury during April, so missed out on selection for 8 games.

• Like 1

Where did the statistic that he played 5 games for Valencia come from? People keep saying it but it's wrong!. He played 10 games for Valencia, 8 starts and 2 brought on as sub. Also he was out with a hamstring injury during April, so missed out on selection for 8 games.

Repeating incorrect 'stats' or 'facts' until they are commonly held to be true is the norm :)

• Like 1

well once I don't have to see Baker and Clark playing together then ill give him a chance. Might prove us wrong as had great potential as a youngster so maybe he can finally deliver some performacnes

I have a problem with it, he's been a joke defender for about a decade in the PL.

Experienced or not, we need quality, not quantity. No doubt I'm a shit fan for saying this though

Naaaah you are not a shit fan mate, just another caught in the black and white world of everyone being either absolute dog turd or 'world class'. He's neither.

Very poor defender who is the type of player clubs who will be relegated sign. Doesn't improve us at all given that we already have Clark and baker as cover for CB. Very poor signing if it happens.

Yeah I know what you mean - Arsenal, Milan, Everton and Valencia were scrapping for their lives when they signed him!

How many of them were relegated again?!

Â