Philippe Senderos

samjp26

Am I the only one surprised we have signed anyone at all? Not bad as back up, not sure he is really needed though, we could have done worse, at least he has experience.

Give our precarious state, and lack experience I would rather two more like this on a free than some of the untested rubbish we paid money for in the past few windows.

I agree that it is surprising that we've actually signed somebody. That said, it is also an indicator of what Lambert now has to work with and unfortunately it doesn't look good.

• Like 1

Don't know what this means in terms of the takeover but we now have 2 experienced CB's, plus a potential quality CB in Okore and 2 young backup CB's. Not too bad.

Our big problem is fullbacks and midfield. Maybe we are getting taken over and these are the areas Lambert will focus on.

Hardly the most inspiring signing, I agree, but as others have already said, he's better than Baker / Clark. Plus most of us said we wanted another CB brought in.

Will fill in when Vlaar is injured. Might even help Baker / Clark / Donacien with their development. Add to that, he's clearly on nowhere near the wages Lescott would've commanded, so overall,it's not actually 'that' bad a signing.

Best case scenario, he does well in the games he plays and hadn't cost us a lot of money.

Worst case scenario, it's another body in our small squad.

Personally, I'd have preferred Hangelaand, but didn't he only get released today? Maybe we enquire and at the time Fulham wanted cash for him? Typical Villa luck if that's the case.

Edited by TJVilla

Should we just start the r word thread now lads??

I don't actually think this is the worst signing Lambert has made since he's been here.

However, ask me again at the end of the season when he's either a - not played, or b - made loads of errors that have sent us down.

Edited by TJVilla

I know it probably won't happen, but imagine a back 3 of Baker, Senderos and Clark...

It's a real dream scenario, like having Barasi, Bobby Moore and Beckenbauer in defence. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

Don't anyone judge this signing until at least we've seen him play a few times.

Senderos has over fifty caps for a pretty decent national team, not to be sniffed at and again he fits the criteria of a player with experience a commodity we don't have much of.

We have seen him play a few times. I don't rate him very high but sometimes last season we played Clark/Baker and no CB on the bench. Coming in as a 3-5th CB and we do at least some other signings I don't see the downside with Senderos except that is Senderos. 

Don't have an issue with this signing, experienced and better than baker IMO. Get Brede in as well!

Â