Philippe Senderos

samjp26

And they were relegated after he left - maybe they should have kept him?! :)

And yet, in the midst of the relegation battle that eventually sank them, they still didn't feel like he'd be of any use. 

Just like they got rid of Berbatov and spent 15million on an unproven striker. Really wouldn't use Fulhams management as an example.

I believe he is shit but I am happy for him to prove me wrong. If he signs we will support him Trent. It is a sad reflection of the club and just adds to the fans frustrations. I just hope hes not Vlaar's replacement. If Vlaar stays.. Will Baker be sent out on loan?

Thats exactly where I am with the signing. Obviously he believes we need shoring up and the minimal money we do have should not be spent on CB, as we already have Okore and Vlaar. Should be looking at the midfield to improve. As I said it before, it's to ensure that we are not left with Clark and Baker at CB.

Well I'd rather have him playing then Baker. 

With Vlaar's injury prone nature I don't think this is a bad signing at all. 

As long as he's here for backup and not first team then why not. 

And they were relegated after he left - maybe they should have kept him?! :)

And yet, in the midst of the relegation battle that eventually sank them, they still didn't feel like he'd be of any use. 

a bit like Berbatov ;)

Sun was shining this morning and I finished my week of on call with work. Fantastic, joyous end to the week on offer then.

Heard we signed Senderos - went straight on to AVFC and renewed my season ticket. And then I went straight onto the Club website and bought full home kit... with Senderos '27' and the Premier League patches too.

Can't wait for August now.

lies

• Like 1

But hey, if people just want to dismiss him as shit so be it.

The flip-side of this being people who want to ignore the nine-seasons he played in this league where he never once looked remotely like a Premier League footballer and pretend that that will suddenly change now.

• Like 1

Any reason he only made 5 apps for Valencia?

Because he was rubbish and they had better defenders, he was cover and nothing more. Was out of his depth and looked like he did at fulham. Extremely average.

Very similar to Baker, strong but very error prone and slow. If he's just cover for Vlaar/Okore for a year then i'm not bothered, if he signs for 2-3 years then i despair.

Sun was shining this morning and I finished my week of on call with work. Fantastic, joyous end to the week on offer then.

Heard we signed Senderos - went straight on to AVFC and renewed my season ticket. And then I went straight onto the Club website and bought full home kit... with Senderos '27' and the Premier League patches too.

lies

I'm sure the club were banking on you renewing your season ticket off the back of us signing a back up centreback

The flip-side of this being people who want to ignore the nine-seasons he played in this league where he never once looked remotely like a Premier League footballer and pretend that that will suddenly change now.

Come on that's just ridiculous. Ok it's people's right not to rate him but the fact that he had 9 seasons in the PL must mean he has had decent spells along the way. It's this kind of black and white thinking that winds me up sometimes.

Surely, thus, there is a reason he has played in the Premier League for 9 seasons?  I'm not saying he's the best player in the world, but players not good enough at this level get found out and left behind - they don't stick around for 9 seasons (10 now!).

Edit:  Same point made above :/

Edited by bobzy

Furthermore, r.e: "what does this mean behind the ownership!?!" - surely you have to make provisions anyway?

If a new owner doesn't come in before the new season and we signed absolutely nobody, fans would be up in arms.  We need to make (likely inexpensive) signings to bolster our team irrespective of a new owner or not.

• Like 2

Come on that's just ridiculous. Ok it's people's right not to rate him but the fact that he had 9 seasons in the PL must mean he has had decent spells along the way. It's this kind of black and white thinking that winds me up sometimes.

Err...no, no it isn't actually. Any bad player can have occasional "decent spells" (as you put it) in the same way that very good players suffer the obligatory dips in form every so often. Nathan Baker has had a couple of "decent spells" over the last two seasons too but that doesn't change the fact that overall, he is an utter liability and not good enough to play at this level.

What winds me up is when people are coming to the conclusion that he "can't be that bad" based on the flawed logic of who he happened to play for or in your case how long he played in the league rather than his actual performances throughout his career. Though I digress, the usual convenient short-term memory has clearly come to the fore in which him being a complete joke figure amongst Arsenal fans and just last season being let go by a team with the worst defence in the league have been airbrushed.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

lies

And you did all this based on what evidence?

Err...no, no it isn't actually. Any bad player can have occasional "decent spells" (as you put it) in the same way that very good players suffer the obligatory dips in form every so often. Nathan Baker has had a couple of "decent spells" over the last two seasons too but that doesn't change the fact that overall, he is an utter liability and not good enough to play at this level.

What winds me up is when people are coming to the conclusion that he "can't be that bad" based on the flawed logic of who he happened to play for or in your case how long he played in the league rather than his actual performances throughout his career. Though I digress, the usual convenient short-term memory has clearly come to the fore in which him being a complete joke figure amongst Arsenal fans and just last season being let go by a team with the worst defence in the league have been airbrushed.

I'm almost 100% confident that most people haven't watched much of Philippe Senderos.  This goes for most players in the Premier League that are just in that "meh" sort of field - outside of Villa, most people won't have watched much of Ciaran Clark, Karim El Ahmadi, Leandro Bacuna etc. etc.  It's just the way it goes.  But if stats are anything to go by...

...before Senderos left Fulham, they had conceeded 50 goals in the league at a rate of 2.17 per game, including a 6-0 loss against Hull (their heaviest defeat of the season) in which Senderos didn't play.  After he left, they conceeded 35 goals in the league at a rate of 2.33 per game.

Before Senderos joined, Valencia had conceeded 35 goals in the league at a rate of 1.52 per game.  After he joined, they conceeded 18 goals at a rate of 1.2 per game.

Just a coincidence?  Obviously he missed games at both clubs, I can't be bothered to go into that level of detail though ;)

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

Â