The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

First 2 years in the job, I was shitting it because I thought I would be found out. I knew what I was doing but then, 7 years ago I thought they were paying me too much. Anyone been in a job where they thought they might get found out. 

I stress its different now, I know my work, I am good at it too.

Every job I've ever had!

I think that might be something to do with being unfairly redundised a couple of times when I was young and very naive. I know I'm good at my job but that hasn't stopped me getting shafted before. 

• Like 1

Started my new job this past week in a completely different field to what I was doing before. Bearing in mind this is my second ever job I can't help but think how easy I had it before. I've taken a £5K pay cut (may not seem a lot to some of you but for a young person of 23 living on my own I've had to make a few sacrifices) but I've gone into something that is considered more of a career where I can work my way up and it offers a lot more opportunities down the line, rather than before I was stuck in a factory working 3 shift rota I'd say was a dead end job.

I've been very overwhelmed by it all. I start and finish and normal times so my commute is ridiculously long and I get so stressed out that I'm stuck on the road when I'm not getting paid for it. A couple of days this week it's took me 1 hr 20 mins to get home, where I finish at 4 I'm not getting back until 5:20. Again, this is probably nothing to some of you, but from travelling 10 minutes up the road where I worked before, to now driving loads has hit me a bit. 

• Like 1

I've found that commuting can have a massive impact on your happiness. I went from having over around 2 hours a day (round trip) to living a 5 minute walk from the office, and I felt much fresher and much happier on a daily basis.

Employers don't do nearly enough to help this stress among employees, I hear a lot about so called 'flexible' working but that flexibility really only extends to when the employer wants to screw over their staff. Working from home should be much more common for a lot of jobs out there. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Employers don't do nearly enough to help this stress among employees, I hear a lot about so called 'flexible' working but that flexibility really only extends to when the employer wants to screw over their staff. Working from home should be much more common for a lot of jobs out there. 

I think it takes a radical shift in culture for it to work, and I'm not sure how to make this happen. I've worked in companies which endorsed flexible working. You had to cover 'core' hours of about 11-3, and a minimum of 4 days a week, but you could spread your hours around other than that, as well as work from home whenever you wanted.

The company management is fine with it, but you always have clearings in the woods who say you're "working from home" with the stupid finger quotes that deserve a punch in the mouth,  and everyone assumes you're slacking if you take advantage of the flexible working system 

32 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think it takes a radical shift in culture for it to work, and I'm not sure how to make this happen. I've worked in companies which endorsed flexible working. You had to cover 'core' hours of about 11-3, and a minimum of 4 days a week, but you could spread your hours around other than that, as well as work from home whenever you wanted.

The company management is fine with it, but you always have clearings in the woods who say you're "working from home" with the stupid finger quotes that deserve a punch in the mouth,  and everyone assumes you're slacking if you take advantage of the flexible working system 

Yep, too many morons out there. The culture of 'presenteeism' is pretty rife in a lot of places I've worked. If you're working from home you're slacking, if you leave on time it's because you're not dedicated (when actually because it's because you're more efficient). 

This kind of behaviour is part and parcel of the 'race to the bottom' culture that permutes British companies. 

• Like 1

It's what happened when Thatcher smashed the unions.  Companies like you to feel disposable so you'll do shit for free in the hope that they will see you as less disposable.  My sister in law is a midwife, she has shifts where she literally doesn't have time to take a break (food, toilet, etc) she stays behind for an hour or so multiple times every week and still gets accused of not putting the patients first.   It's mental. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Warnock said:

Started my new job this past week in a completely different field to what I was doing before. Bearing in mind this is my second ever job I can't help but think how easy I had it before. I've taken a £5K pay cut (may not seem a lot to some of you but for a young person of 23 living on my own I've had to make a few sacrifices) but I've gone into something that is considered more of a career where I can work my way up and it offers a lot more opportunities down the line, rather than before I was stuck in a factory working 3 shift rota I'd say was a dead end job.

I've been very overwhelmed by it all. I start and finish and normal times so my commute is ridiculously long and I get so stressed out that I'm stuck on the road when I'm not getting paid for it. A couple of days this week it's took me 1 hr 20 mins to get home, where I finish at 4 I'm not getting back until 5:20. Again, this is probably nothing to some of you, but from travelling 10 minutes up the road where I worked before, to now driving loads has hit me a bit. 

What you doing now Warnock?

Commuting can be a real pain. I used to drive to work but gave it up when it reached an average of 2.5 / 3 hours round trip a day. Could take me nearly 2 hours at 5pm if there had been an accident on the Aston Distressway or some clown had run out of petrol in the Queensway. 

When I moved, one of the main factors was being near a train station so I could get the cross city into work. My round trip is now an hour and I don't have the stress of driving. I can listen to music, read magazines/books and generally chill. Occasionally there are train delays but overall the service is very good.

As for working from home, I found I was actually working longer and harder at home because I had no distractions that I would get in the office. However, it does get lonely.

Edited by Xela

Picked up an assessment day in January for another grad scheme but much much closer aligned to my degree/interests (politics etc) - It'll be starting all over again to some extent, but there's a risk that I'll enjoy this one which is clearly a good thing. I find it really difficult to motivate myself doing what I'm doing, which means that I'm in the office longer than I would be, just want to do something that makes me smile and lose track of time (which has very occasionally happened where I am at the moment, but no where near enough).

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I've found that commuting can have a massive impact on your happiness. I went from having over around 2 hours a day (round trip) to living a 5 minute walk from the office, and I felt much fresher and much happier on a daily basis.

My supervisors are so cool about my commute. I get a train that is only once an hour so I have to leave at a certain time to make it. My hours have been changed to 8:50 - 4:50 so it suits me better.

One example of many times they've done this for me and other employees. Helps when you have an understanding boss.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

My supervisors are so cool about my commute. I get a train that is only once an hour so I have to leave at a certain time to make it. My hours have been changed to 8:50 - 4:50 so it suits me better.

One example of many times they've done this for me and other employees. Helps when you have an understanding boss.

Ah, that sounds like the sort of common sense and reasonableness that I've not encountered often in London.

I changed departments last week. Blown away just how organised they are, never knew such a place existed. 

Knowing their products,  knowing the systems and planning ahead. Loving it so far. I've even had time to have a 15 minute chin wag with a few old colleagues which I've never had time for before.

On 11/21/2015, 1:05:07, Dr_Pangloss said:

I was commuting 2 and half hours a day and took an near £5k wage drop this year to work 5 mins from my house. I dont have the disposable income I had but I am much happier not having to spend 10-15 hours of my week just getting to work let alone being there. I am also happy to do over time now as an hour here an there paid is fine. 

When I was a manager I always like to think I was flexible, little things like allowing staff to leave early or authorising holiday at late notice can make a big difference to a staff member rather than sticking to the rules for the sake of it. Have to be careful with the boundaries but employers who take a lot and give little back find themselves with work forces who dont last very long. 

• Like 2

On 11/21/2015, 1:05:07, Dr_Pangloss said: I've found that commuting can have a massive impact on your happiness. I went from having over around 2 hours a day (round trip) to living a 5 minute walk from the office, and I felt much fresher and much happier on a daily basis.

I was commuting 2 and half hours a day and took an near £5k wage drop this year to work 5 mins from my house. I dont have the disposable income I had but I am much happier not having to spend 10-15 hours of my week just getting to work let alone being there. I am also happy to do over time now as an hour here an there paid is fine. 

When I was a manager I always like to think I was flexible, little things like allowing staff to leave early or authorising holiday at late notice can make a big difference to a staff member rather than sticking to the rules for the sake of it. Have to be careful with the boundaries but employers who take a lot and give little back find themselves with work forces who dont last very long. 

Never in my life would I do a long commute again. I'm 12 minutes drive from my current job and I work Flexi time, previously I worked an hour away and had to work 8.30 to 17.00 and sit in traffic all the way home. I earn less, slightly, but never been happier in a job. People need to realise how much difference it makes, your whole life is so much better for it. I was spending approx 40 hours a month travelling, now it's about 10 hours, that over a day month extra I get back in spare time. If someone offered you a job closer to home with 12 extra days holiday a year would you take it? Course you would

• Like 2

I went from having a 15 walk across the promenade to a 40 minute journey one-way minimum, mainly due to the district line. Hasn't affected me as much as I thought although it's a relatively short commute for London, some poor sods are on cramped trains for a lot longer.

I generally start at 8 and finish by 7-7.30 so miss a lot of the crush too - starts to make sense why most people are grumpy b*stards down here!

Commuting is part of my life.

I spend 2-3 hours a day commuting.

It used to really bother me. And still does sometimes. But for the past year my company have put on free buses from Birmingham airport to work. And as I live 10 minutes from the airport this has made it a lot easier!

When I say buses, they are ex-National Express coaches. Loads of leg room, powerpoints, wi fi, reclining wingback leather chairs. And they're not very busy so you always have 2 seats to yourself.
So my commute now involves me reading, watching TV or sleeping. 

• Like 1

Â