The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

Starting my new role on Friday. It'll be an odd feeling following the same routine as usual that morning but walking straight past the old office.

But a good one.

• Like 3

VT I need some advice. As many will know I work in recruitment. However, at the age of 26 I have decided on a career change and I have been looking to get into IT. I am starting a degree in October through the open university in Computing. On Friday, I was offered a new job which is paying £5k less than what I am on now. The role is basically a 1st Line support role that appears to have good progression routes within the business. Do I accept it? Can anybody honestly tell me what 1st line is like?

My dream is to eventually end up as a project manager ideally rolling out IT infrastructure.

Appreciate the help.

My dream is to eventually end up as a project manager ideally rolling out IT infrastructure.

Appreciate the help.

That's basically what I do for a living...via a history degree, teaching and some education based Local Authority jobs.

My IT skills are limited to the ability to rattle up a PowerPoint and basic IT twattery. I know **** all about SQL, SSRS or any of the other technical bollocks I talk about on a daily basis. You don't need to.

Can you manage a team and motivate the techy types to get stuff done? If yes go for it.

• Like 1

VT I need some advice. As many will know I work in recruitment. However, at the age of 26 I have decided on a career change and I have been looking to get into IT. I am starting a degree in October through the open university in Computing. On Friday, I was offered a new job which is paying £5k less than what I am on now. The role is basically a 1st Line support role that appears to have good progression routes within the business. Do I accept it? Can anybody honestly tell me what 1st line is like?

Appreciate the help.

Big or small company? I've spent the last 6 months reviewing pretty much all the big players in the market so PM me if you need any insight.

Appreciate the help.

That's basically what I do for a living...via a history degree, teaching and some education based Local Authority jobs.

My IT skills are limited to the ability to rattle up a PowerPoint and basic IT twattery. I know **** all about SQL, SSRS or any of the other technical bollocks I talk about on a daily basis. You don't need to.

Can you manage a team and motivate the techy types to get stuff done? If yes go for it.

Are you Jen from The IT Crowd?
  • Like 4

Appreciate the help.

Cheers Eames - not sure on the best way into it from my position though. I think if I take this job, official title is Service Desk Technician - I am thinking it will give me more exposure than what staying in recruitment would? Would you agree with that?

The main thing for me is that I am having to take a cut of about £5k in order to go into it...

Edited by Tayls

Appreciate the help.

Cheers Eames - not sure on the best way into it from my position though. I think if I take this job, official title is Service Desk Technician - I am thinking it will give me more exposure than what staying in recruitment would? Would you agree with that?

The main thing for me is that I am having to take a cut of about £5k in order to go into it...

Can you afford the 5k cut without putting yourself in a difficult position? If so, why wouldn't you go for it?

Appreciate the help.

Are you Jen from The IT Crowd?
Never seen it but I'm going to assu.e this isn't exactly a compliment.

Appreciate the help.

Ok so initially you'll be doing front line support for idiots. My team manage this and whilst I muck in now and again and unlock a few passwords the level of tech skill required for my guys is quite high.

Without knowing what the job is and who its for I can't advise as to how much you'll need to know....but as others have said.....if you want the job and can swallow the pay cut go for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Might be time for me to do the same.

I've frankly struggled to get out of bed for the past three weeks. Feel utterly demotivated to interact with the same people and solve the same 'problems'. I feel extremely bored and I've stopped learning new things here.

Time to leave I feel, first step, updating the CV. 

I'm in one of my troughs at work now (the peaks are less and less!) and feeling like I need a break. Not from this place per se but work in general. Fed up and want an extended break.

I'm doing ok at work, hit all my yearly targets by mid July and can do the job in my sleep. I think that's the problem though. 

Decided a little while ago I wanted a change of scene.

Applied for 3 jobs, had 3 interviews, got 3 offers!

Nice... now to decide what to do!

What are your choices? And what will you be leaving behind? Edited by Tayls

I'm in one of my troughs at work now (the peaks are less and less!) and feeling like I need a break. Not from this place per se but work in general. Fed up and want an extended break.

I'm doing ok at work, hit all my yearly targets by mid July and can do the job in my sleep. I think that's the problem though. 

lol I pretty much feel the same way. It's half on my mind to quit and take a few months off to do something genuinely interesting, but I'm a bit concerned about how that would look.

Has anyone had to grass someone up at work? One of my colleagues went off with a migraine a week or so ago, but I was flicking through the local paper's sports section during my break and lo and behold apparently he scored 40 off 19 balls in a cricket match the day he called in sick. I hate my job, hate my manager, hate my colleague, I don't know whether it would be satisfying to get him in trouble or whether it's too much hassle. He's bound to work out it was me who told them. Then again, he's getting paid the same as me, and I've never thrown a sickie like that.

Â