The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

On 11/29/2015 at 20:46, Davkaus said:

Well, decision made, tomorrow is quitting time.

Do people still write official resignation letters? I've never had to quit before!

Only 5 working days left, not that I'm counting.

The hardest part is biting my tongue every time people who I almost never got along with ask why I'm leaving and say how much I'll be missed. Must...not...burn...bridges,

Got told a few months back that I'm at threat being made redundant, I'm fine with this as I've wanted to leave my job for a while.

So tomorrow is my 2nd meeting where I will formally be given my leaving date.  I think the redundancy package is going to be surprisingly generous, but I'm  still out to get every single penny I can off them though.

I was thinking that I should go to my doctor once I've been given the letter, and basically have a pretend breakdown in there.  Say how I cant cope with the stress, cant sleep, cant eat, scared to go outside etc.....Could I then get more money due to personal factors !?

My HR department would know full well this is bullcrap, but they cant accuse me of lying can they?   I know this is a  bit of a low, but at the end of the day I don't owe them anything now they've decided to stick 2 fingers up at the staff and close the business ?

Chances i'd never follow  this through but i'm just curious.  Employees have so much more power nowadays that they did a few years back.

11 minutes ago, simont123 said:

I was thinking that I should go to my doctor once I've been given the letter, and basically have a pretend breakdown in there.  Say how I cant cope with the stress, cant sleep, cant eat, scared to go outside etc.....they cant accuse me of lying can they? 

Do you want a medical record that potentially says you have a "mental condition" or whatever the phrase is? would a future potential employer not be put off by such an illness?

Yes they can accuse you of lying - And do you really want to try and potentially commit fraud?

it sounds like you will be leaving a job you want to leave, while getting a decent pay off. Most people would be happy with that and move on.

17 minutes ago, simont123 said:

Got told a few months back that I'm at threat being made redundant, I'm fine with this as I've wanted to leave my job for a while.

So tomorrow is my 2nd meeting where I will formally be given my leaving date.  I think the redundancy package is going to be surprisingly generous, but I'm  still out to get every single penny I can off them though.

I was thinking that I should go to my doctor once I've been given the letter, and basically have a pretend breakdown in there.  Say how I cant cope with the stress, cant sleep, cant eat, scared to go outside etc.....Could I then get more money due to personal factors !?

My HR department would know full well this is bullcrap, but they cant accuse me of lying can they?   I know this is a  bit of a low, but at the end of the day I don't owe them anything now they've decided to stick 2 fingers up at the staff and close the business ?

Chances i'd never follow  this through but i'm just curious.  Employees have so much more power nowadays that they did a few years back.

Presumably a doctors note will cover it as it would be evidence should you be called out on lying. 

I'm not sure you'd have a 'medical record' (re Blandy) as surely your currently employer could not share the particulars of any such illness with a future employer, would that not be against data protection laws? (honest question here as I'm intrigued). 

I guess what will go on your 'record' is the amount of sick leave, which may or may not require some sort of explanation to a future employer, so you'd have to be comfortable with that.

I understand hating your company but if I were you I'd just take the cheque and either do absolutely **** all for the remainder of your employment or inform them that you won't be working any sort of notice period (assuming this won't affect your redundancy in any way) and just put your feet up for a bit. 

But then if your company is going out of business then you have a unique opportunity to game things as the repercussions won't be as significant. 

17 minutes ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

I have heard that going off with stress stays on your record. Not sure how easily accessible this is to future employers, but would always be in the back of your mind knowing it's there.

It would be on your medical records, however companies can only request access to them which you must give consent for. I doubt any potential employer would want access to your medical records, a company normally only asks for access to these if you are off work for a long period of time.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm not sure you'd have a 'medical record' (re Blandy) as surely your currently employer could not share the particulars of any such illness with a future employer, would that not be against data protection laws? (honest question here as I'm intrigued). 

I know when I have changed jobs my new employer wanted access to my medical records. So my comment is that if simon's doctor signs him off with the wobbles, it would go on his medical records, and so any future employer could potentially get to see them as part of the application/appointment process. it may be that the jobs I have done are  not typical as there are additional aspects to my work which don't apply to many jobs, but I'd have thought employers would want to know if the person they are about to employ is going to go off sick with a pre-established medical problem.

3 minutes ago, KHV said:

It would be on your medical records, however companies can only request access to them which you must give consent for. I doubt any potential employer would want access to your medical records, a company normally only asks for access to these if you are off work for a long period of time.

Exactly, (a) it's up to you as to whether you grant access and (b) the likelihood of being asked in the first place will often depend on profession (i.e. are you going to operating machines, driving etc).

The only thing is that if you were to have, lets say, a couple of months off on the sick, that could be made aware to a future employer by your HR department, they then might query this and potentially request medical records. Not supplying them with said records may make them think twice. But this is perhaps a little extreme. 

In terms of the 'fraudulent' element of this, well it's hardly the crime of the century, but I do agree that posting this on a forum isn't a good idea, unless bases are covered ;)

I assume that it's difficult to get certain jobs, especially those that Dr P mentions, involving handling machinery and driving, without presenting them. I was under the impression that in the wake of the Glasgow bin lorry crash - where the driver lied about his medical status - that employers are looking at tightening up in this area, concerned about their liability. 

39 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Why would one give an employer access to medical records?

People can be referred to a company doctor/occupational health. Access can be requested, as an individual though you can deny it. 

My occupational health department had access to my medical records after I fractured my back with my consent and they gave me a special chair and desk to work at when I returned to work. 

Access to medical records is not always a bad thing, in my case it was so my employer could help me return to work and have a better understanding of what I needed.

58 minutes ago, blandy said:

I know when I have changed jobs my new employer wanted access to my medical records. So my comment is that if simon's doctor signs him off with the wobbles, it would go on his medical records, and so any future employer could potentially get to see them as part of the application/appointment process. it may be that the jobs I have done are  not typical as there are additional aspects to my work which don't apply to many jobs, but I'd have thought employers would want to know if the person they are about to employ is going to go off sick with a pre-established medical problem.

Most employers won't ask for medical records before hand. 

1 minute ago, KHV said:

People can be referred to a company doctor/occupational health. Access can be requested, as an individual though you can deny it. 

My occupational health department had access to my medical records after I fractured my back with my consent and they gave me a special chair and desk to work at when I returned to work. 

Access to medical records is not always a bad thing, in my case it was so my employer could help me return to work and have a better understanding of what I needed.

That's slightly different, though. It's a request from the employer (or more specifically the OH dept.) to have access to something specific for a particular reason and it's then up to you to give that consent. I'm guessing they had a report on your back fracture rather than a report of your medical history?

The way in which it was being spoken of above was for an existing or future employer to have access to medical records and medical history (otherwise how would they discover about a previous period of stress unless they were already aware of it and thus were requesting a report on it specifically?).

Haha I'd never actually go through with it.  It's just a thought I had (as I've got so much time on my hands).  I bet there are some hungry words removed out there, that would try every trick in the book though.

Employers are shit scared of all the new regulations nowadays, it's a bloody right mess.  There's an ex employee from our place who joined, slept with the married boss, then bribed him for a pay off.  Ended very badly for our one.  He got divorced, taken to the cleaners by all accounts and then fired, was suicdal apparently too for a bit.

Don't think it's the first time either, Evil bitch!!

3 hours ago, simont123 said:

Don't think you'd get any more anyway. What it would probably do is just get you signed off work sick for a few weeks. Most companies have the package already worked out and illness won't affect it. Pregnancy on the other hand as they then have to pay you the full pregnancy leave as well as redundancy, however I'm guessing that is irrelevant for you?

• Like 1

Â