The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

I'm in one of my troughs at work now (the peaks are less and less!) and feeling like I need a break. Not from this place per se but work in general. Fed up and want an extended break.

I'm doing ok at work, hit all my yearly targets by mid July and can do the job in my sleep. I think that's the problem though. 

lol I pretty much feel the same way. It's half on my mind to quit and take a few months off to do something genuinely interesting, but I'm a bit concerned about how that would look.

Can you take a career break/sabbatical from work?

Has anyone had to grass someone up at work? One of my colleagues went off with a migraine a week or so ago, but I was flicking through the local paper's sports section during my break and lo and behold apparently he scored 40 off 19 balls in a cricket match the day he called in sick. I hate my job, hate my manager, hate my colleague, I don't know whether it would be satisfying to get him in trouble or whether it's too much hassle. He's bound to work out it was me who told them. Then again, he's getting paid the same as me, and I've never thrown a sickie like that.

Why would you snitch? No one likes a grass. 

That said, if he has genuine rubbed you up the wrong way in a serious way, i.e. you have some sort of vendetta against him, then I guess it could be quite satisfying. 

But then, I tend to think life's too short for that sort of shit. You'd probably get him sacked, does he have a family to support? Perhaps he has a big mortgage to pay off? Is it worth potentially ruining his life over a cricket match?

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I'm in one of my troughs at work now (the peaks are less and less!) and feeling like I need a break. Not from this place per se but work in general. Fed up and want an extended break.

I'm doing ok at work, hit all my yearly targets by mid July and can do the job in my sleep. I think that's the problem though.

lol I pretty much feel the same way. It's half on my mind to quit and take a few months off to do something genuinely interesting, but I'm a bit concerned about how that would look.

What do you both do?

Has anyone had to grass someone up at work? One of my colleagues went off with a migraine a week or so ago, but I was flicking through the local paper's sports section during my break and lo and behold apparently he scored 40 off 19 balls in a cricket match the day he called in sick. I hate my job, hate my manager, hate my colleague, I don't know whether it would be satisfying to get him in trouble or whether it's too much hassle. He's bound to work out it was me who told them. Then again, he's getting paid the same as me, and I've never thrown a sickie like that.

That said, if he has genuine rubbed you up the wrong way in a serious way, i.e. you have some sort of vendetta against him, then I guess it could be quite satisfying. 

But then, I tend to think life's too short for that sort of shit. You'd probably get him sacked, does he have a family to support? Perhaps he has a big mortgage to pay off? Is it worth potentially ruining his life over a cricket match?

You're right, even though he's possibly the most arrogant word removed I've ever met, it's not worth the aggro. I doubt he'd get sacked and he sponges off his missus anyway, but I'd just get a reputation I don't want.

You're right, even though he's possibly the most arrogant word removed I've ever met, it's not worth the aggro. I doubt he'd get sacked and he sponges off his missus anyway, but I'd just get a reputation I don't want.

Why would you snitch? Just highlight the relevant article and post it to his boss with a letter written out of cut out newspaper headlines. 

It'll get read. 

What do you both do?

I make peoples dreams come true.

I work in banking. 

• Like 1

Interview today for a higher grade  post. It's the first internal interview I've had thinking about it, and the presence of my line manager is both useful and annoying, she knows I'm as good as the other folk there, but less room for bullshit :/ It's a post I am more than qualified and capable of doing, but is quite competitive, got a feeling there's a hierarchy of sorts where ultimately the fact I have just not worked there as long as some of the other candidates will be an undoing. But still can't worry about that, positive attitude etc. After 12 months of part time roles in two sectors, across multiple sites I would bloody love it if I could work in the same place for a while. Fingers crossed. 

Bah, placed on a reserve list. Which basically means after the various re-shiftings of people moving posts ( turns out there were 5 vacancies available ) and the knock on opportunities they can hire me after that. Feedback : excellent interview, but other people have more experience. To be expected and don't begrudge others getting the job. Still never mind eh. Suppose I just have to wait my turn. 

Bah, placed on a reserve list. Which basically means after the various re-shiftings of people moving posts ( turns out there were 5 vacancies available ) and the knock on opportunities they can hire me after that. Feedback : excellent interview, but other people have more experience. To be expected and don't begrudge others getting the job. Still never mind eh. Suppose I just have to wait my turn.

You could hassle them to give you some experience now, do it in your own time and look keen as, it might not get you in for this job but people will hear about your attitude and aptitude - 'Who's that kid that was ballsy enough to come work for nothing for a bit in order to get some experience when he'd already been knocked back?' You could become hot property fella. It's not who you know it's who you blow in this game.

What is it you are going for/looking to get into?

Maybe not the right place to post this but could do with some VT help!

I've worked in a factory since I left school at 16 (now 23) only qualification really gained from it was a NVQ level 2 in Manufacturing back when I started (probably means nothing to most employers). It's come to the point now where I really want out. The place has gone to the dogs, everyday people speculate about when the plant will be closing which is understandable as the workforce is as low as ever. As well as that the new management are total nightmare and I've personally had enough of working nights (shifts in general really but nights is horrific mentally and physically)

My problem is I bought a flat a year ago under the help to buy scheme so I have a mortgage, so it's not like I can give up work, go back to college and study a specific subject. I've looked into evening classes but working rotating shifts I wouldn't make it every week, and I'm not entirely sure I would have the time, money or motivation?

I'm trying to start small.. today I applied for a few full time jobs of similar background to what I do now as I really want out of where I work now.

Feels like I'm stuck in a hole. Long term I'd love to get out of this shit hole of a town and pursue a career I enjoy (and no more bloody nights!) As I said before I'm 23 so really need to think about what I want but it's like I'm pissing in the wind.

Warnock - a few questions if I may...

You mentioned you would like to pursue a career you would enjoy. What is that career?

Are you able alter shifts at work in any way?

What sort of factory are you working in? What do you do specifically?

You mentioned you would like to pursue a career you would enjoy. What is that career?

I'm not entirely sure my friend but I feel my opportunities have been slimmed right down because i never went to uni when I had the chance.

Can't alter shifts, they used to allow swaps but this is one of the things the new management stopped.

I work in a carpet factory and have to look after 6 looms on my own. Stressful and just fed up of it now...

I'm not entirely sure my friend but I feel my opportunities have been slimmed right down because i never went to uni when I had the chance.

Can't alter shifts, they used to allow swaps but this is one of the things the new management stopped.

I work in a carpet factory and have to look after 6 looms on my own. Stressful and just fed up of it now...

Mucker I never went to uni, never even finished college, made some big sacrifices in the past few years and now in a good job whilst studying for my degree. Decide where you want to be and what you enjoy doing and work out what you need to do to get there. Look at adverts for jobs you think you'll wanting to be doing in five years and work out what they're asking for that you don't have and how you can get that experience or qualification, and don't get downbeat if you get turned down for something, suck it up, learn from it and try again. It's a long hard road man but if you don't do it now you'll look at doing it again in five years and it'll be a lot harder.
  • Like 1

Warnock mate, I got my degree nearly 30 years after leaving school. I got into my current career in my mid 20's, having not had a clue what I wanted to do before I was about 25.

From the age of 30, with a house and a partner I took a bit of a leap and have never looked back.

Believe it or not, you are young and you really do have time on your side. The one thing I'd say, you'll likely find it easier to get something else even something totally unrelated, if you are in work rather than out of work. So stick with it whilst job hunting. Also, you've got September looming up, consider a class in something (pretty much anything) with a certificate or recognised qualification at the end of it. Employers love people that study - it just doesn't need to be a degree by the time your 21.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Sorry for the weirdly late reply chap.

Now, story time....

Right, so, you are in a similar situation to what I was in myself only recently. Difference being I'm 26, have a mortgage and a wedding to pay for. I have worked in recruitment for the past 5 and a bit years and have decided that I have had enough. I never went to Uni as I was offered a full time job doing admin for a logistics company (I started on 17k a year and was loving it) before deciding that I would like to give recruitment a try.

I have decided now that I would like to get into IT. I have always had an interest in computing and I was set to go to uni to complete a degree in the subject before getting the job that I mentioned above.

I started applying for jobs in computing a few months ago and was getting absolutely nowhere. Quite simply, I had no experience to even land a 1st line support role. I decided to change my approach, registered to start a degree through the Open University in, you guessed it, IT & Computing and I am now able to put that onto my CV. Employers love that!! I changed my cover letter to say that I am looking for a step in the door in a new career, and I started to get some response. I have now landed a job that I start in 2 weeks time. Granted, I am having to take a bit of a pay cut to what I am on now, but, it's a starting point and it's doing something that I will be happy doing.

My advice is, decide what you reallllllly want to do. What's going to make you happy? What are your skills/interests? What have you always wanted to do? Try to answer these questions and then start looking at how you can go about getting into it. Can you volunteer at weekends? can you attend day/evening classes? What about taking on a self study course through the OU? These are all things worth considering.

If you want to stay in the same type of working environment, then maybe a few tweaks of your CV and cover letter would be worth looking at? I would be more than happy to take a look at these few you and suggest some alterations. Feel free to PM if interested and I will send you my work email.

• Like 2

Â