The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

Bah, placed on a reserve list. Which basically means after the various re-shiftings of people moving posts ( turns out there were 5 vacancies available ) and the knock on opportunities they can hire me after that. Feedback : excellent interview, but other people have more experience. To be expected and don't begrudge others getting the job. Still never mind eh. Suppose I just have to wait my turn.

What is it you are going for/looking to get into?

Libraries - in academia moreso than public, though I currently work in both. I was pretty phlegmatic about my prospects anyway. And to be honest I do just hoover up all the training freebies they offer, whether something as daft as fire warden, to extra IT, to doing the very boring ECDL IT course, and I have started a work-related Masters as well which should help me jump up a few steps eventually. 

AndPongRiddims - I have done that already, volunteering for extra cover, extra jobs etc - it's just so have the others :lol: 

At the moment though I am back at the bottom after quitting career choice one ( more directly academic ) so the roles I do are so easy it is a little frustrating, but the MA will at least exercise my brain a bit. 

I am confident enough I'll get there tbf, just a bit impatient, I suppose. Although it has allowed me to catch up with various books I had previously not had the time / energy to read in previous jobs. 

• Like 1

I am set to finish my job in recruitment tomorrow - and starting a career in IT. The only thing is I am starting off as a Service Desk Analyst whilst studying for an IT/Computing Degree with the OU...

Not sure if I am making the right move as I am taking a knock financially!!!

AGHHHHHHHH

• Like 1

You'll be fine, Tayls. 

You seem to have your head screwed on and you've certainly done your homework. Not many people stay in recruitment for all that long so you were always likely to have to jump into something new at some point. I'd guess it's just the uncertainty is mostly due to the fact you've made a major change in your circumstances (as well as the hit to the back pocket).

What's the worst that can happen? If it turns out to be a bad move, you can always go back to being a blood-sucking recruiter ;)

Cheers Choffer. Appreciate the kind words. (blood-sucking recruiter indeed! haha)

How long should I stay being a Service Desk person for though - obviously it is a junior role and I will just be solving IT issues for people via email and over the phone. I think I mentioned previously that the dream is to get into Project work... any tips on how I can progress to this guys?

Well you've taken the first step Tayls. I think a bit of experience and your clear hunger to succeed will stand you in good stead.

There are many people out there which bemoan a lack of opportunities and say they want to change. It takes balls to change, especially when you have responsibilities, but if you grasp the nettle and believe in yourself you give yourself a great shot of getting to where you want to be.

Best of luck man.

• Like 1

You'll be fine, Tayls. 

You seem to have your head screwed on and you've certainly done your homework. Not many people stay in recruitment for all that long so you were always likely to have to jump into something new at some point. I'd guess it's just the uncertainty is mostly due to the fact you've made a major change in your circumstances (as well as the hit to the back pocket).

What's the worst that can happen? If it turns out to be a bad move, you can always go back to being a blood-sucking recruiter ;)

I am set to finish my job in recruitment tomorrow - and starting a career in IT. The only thing is I am starting off as a Service Desk Analyst whilst studying for an IT/Computing Degree with the OU...

Not sure if I am making the right move as I am taking a knock financially!!!

AGHHHHHHHH

Well you've taken the first step Tayls. I think a bit of experience and your clear hunger to succeed will stand you in good stead.

There are many people out there which bemoan a lack of opportunities and say they want to change. It takes balls to change, especially when you have responsibilities, but if you grasp the nettle and believe in yourself you give yourself a great shot of getting to where you want to be.

Best of luck man.

I start a new job on Monday after 6 months in recruitment. Im surprised I didnt claw my eyes out, I hated it with every bone in my body. After a couple of years in higher management before recruitment Im having to start again but I dont mind as long as its interesting enough and I can work towards some opportunities which I can as this is a big company. 

Managing social media content and feedback, its a contract so not set in stone but will be perm if I want it to be. Gives me an opportunity to add a string to my bow and can still keep looking. Money isnt bad and the hours are great to be fair so all pluses at the moment.

Had to take a risk and I think recruitment has opened some doors for me or at the very least I am now very good at getting recruiters attention. From deciding to finish at my previous job and getting another took 11 days. 

Edited by Nicho

Managing social media content and feedback, its a contract so not set in stone but will be perm if I want it to be. Gives me an opportunity to add a string to my bow and can still keep looking. Money isnt bad and the hours are great to be fair so all pluses at the moment.

Had to take a risk and I think recruitment has opened some doors for me or at the very least I am now very good at getting recruiters attention. From deciding to finish at my previous job and getting another took 11 days.

Nice one man, hope it goes well for you!

That's the beauty of recruitment. To be honest it was working in my current recruitment role that me realise that IT is where I want to be for a career. At the moment I recruit contractors on £500 per day. And those guys who work in Project Management rolling out IT infrastructure are my idols right now!!

That's the beauty of recruitment. To be honest it was working in my current recruitment role that me realise that IT is where I want to be for a career. At the moment I recruit contractors on £500 per day. And those guys who work in Project Management rolling out IT infrastructure are my idols right now!!

I've set everything up to hopefully get my first IT contract. Only thing is I screwed up by selling myself short when asked for my rate. But still more than I could have dreamed of. Praying it comes off.

Been in the new job about 6 weeks now and its been a good experience. Very similar to what I was doing before but a different pace, more overtly commercial, and a little bit more to it.

But it seems there could be developments. I've been asked if I might want to follow a slightly different path, shadowing a really experienced guy in the office who is one of the few in the region doing what he does, but he's getting on and slowing down. It's not an easy thing, it's a completely different skill set and, more over, an enormous new knowledge base I'd need to build up, but is more challenging, probably matches my personality more, and is potentially a career definer if I can get to the standard of the chap they want me to learn from.

Things just got interesting!

The whole thing has to be on hold at the moment, as my current role is what the business needs me to do. But potentially this could be big for me. Great stuff.

• Like 1

Bit of advice needed. Not for me, for she who shall not be named.

Her company are basically **** her over. They're changing the structure and it means her job will apparently no longer exist. They've said they can keep her on but they can only offer her a role in customer services (she's a buyer at the moment).

So my question is, surely that counts as making her redundant, doesn't it? They can't just stick her in another role?

However, she's only been there 18 months, so will she be entitled to anything, or does it come down to her individual contract?

Bit of advice needed. Not for me, for she who shall not be named.

Her company are basically **** her over. They're changing the structure and it means her job will apparently no longer exist. They've said they can keep her on but they can only offer her a role in customer services (she's a buyer at the moment).

So my question is, surely that counts as making her redundant, doesn't it? They can't just stick her in another role?

However, she's only been there 18 months, so will she be entitled to anything, or does it come down to her individual contract?

Not an Employment Lawyer but have been subject to 4 Local Authority restructures in the last 5 years.

They can slot her into roles that are directly comparable but any more than a certain % change (25%IIRC) means she would be required to apply the job. They would also have to protect her salary for a period of time if they are giving her a pay cut. 

If they offer her an alternative post and she refuses she will not be entitled to any redundancy pay because she will have made herself redundant - she will be entitled to something but it depends on the Ts and Cs of her contract. Usually its 1 weeks pay per year worked or something like that after her notice period. 

• Like 1

Whats the mark up on a monkey a shift?

Tayls, service desk is good fun

1st week done. Man I have a lot to learn! I pretty much know nothing about Networks, Domains and all that stuff. Solved a few issues that have me some exposure to Exchange and Active Directory etc.

Just hope I can keep learning and get to where I want to be in the long term!

Less than 15%....

Less than 15%....

Nice going if you can get 4/5 fixed up.

I'm going to attempt to write a promotion application tomorrow.  We're allowed to apply every year for a "Career Level Review" assuming our Team Leaders approve it.  I don't think I have any chance but I figured I may as well and at least I'll get the feedback should I fail at the sift (or interview after).  Dreading it - I'm never any good at selling myself and I've got to write 2 A4 sides of evidence before Monday. Gggrrr. 

• 3 weeks later...

Question for the Help desk guys -

I am a month into my new role as a service desk technician - left recruitment after 6 years to start a new career. 

Where do you think I should be at this stage? Bearing in mind that I had absolutely no proper IT experience at all. 

Â