The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

Had some bad news yesterday. Despite the company I work for announcing a lot of redundancies, I was told I was safe  :(

Damn, I was planning 2 years on a beach with my redundancy package  :angry:

• Like 3

I've been mulling over the idea of applying for a new job. I currently work in complaints, have a decent enough wage and am left to get on with my job without being monitored or pestered for figures. I've seen some jobs come available which are doing the same job as I currently do, but for literally DOUBLE the pay.

It's double the pay because it's only a contract position. I've seen these highly paid contract jobs pop up over the last few months, but they've always been based miles and miles away. This one that's now appeared, is in Birmingham City Centre.

I'd love to take a gamble and go for it, but my concern is the longevity of it. I'm currently in a permanent position that's (probably) going to last for years and years, and if they do get rid of me, I'll get a redundancy package which I've been building up for the 8 years I've worked there.

This new job could be a contract for 6 months, it could be a contract for 2 years. There's an element of uncertainty that massively puts me off. If the contract job did finish sooner than expected, I could go for another contract job, but is it worth taking this gamble, when I could stick with what I've got?

Hmmm.

Well, you said it yourself. Double the reward but double the risk. How often do these contract roles come up? 

My mate contracts (at £4k per week, the bugger!) in the City of London but there are loads of roles for him in his industry so he's been in constant employment for best part of 2 years and has other firms trying to poach him from his current role. It works for him wonderfully but your mileage may vary

Unlucky Xela :D

Yeah Rodders, it sounds like the same contract jobs tbh. What I do now is partly involved with PPI complaints. The contract jobs I'm looking at are £200 a day.

It's the security and longevity that I'm unsure of. I have a house and mortgage, plus a bit of a 'loan' from my parents that I'm gradually paying back. Not to mention I live with my girlfriend who seems to quit her job every 6-8 months to find a new one, which doesn't help the whole 'stability' situation!

Thinking of the future, marriage, kids etc, this job I'm in now is fairly cushty, and in any new job I get I won't get the sick pay, holiday pay, pension or paternity leave (looking far into the future for that one!), but, the increased pay will make up for all of that. It's just how long it's going to last.

My biggest concern is the contract lasts for less than 18 months, and I find myself coming back into a similar permanent position that I'm in now, but with less of an easy ride!

Edit: I started typing that comment before you posted your second one Xela. I've seen these contract roles come up monthly, but they're nearly always based in other parts of the country - Reading, Glasgow, Coventry and London were the recent ones I saw. This is the first time I've seen one in Brum.

If I went for it and it ended, the chances are I'd be able get another contract job, but it might just be that I have to travel, and preferably I'd not rather go more than an hour out of the way.

It's something to mull over. I might call the contractors and ask if they have any indication of how long the contracts are for.

Rob if you want to have a chat about contract roles then let me know - it's what I recruit for. I recruit for a major IT solutions provider and also the big 4 banks. Anything from £100 - £1500 a day. Just drop me a line.

• Like 1

Recruitment consultants really are the scum of the earth. Lower than estate agents or african warlords, as far as I can tell.

Two interviews recently, one for a scouse football club and one for a company I really wanted to work for in London. Despite being told I was ideal at 1st-round interview, they don't even have the decency to call you back to tell you you're out of the running. I'm long enough in the tooth to understand how the game works but surely they must make the connection that I'm also someone who hires people too so if they look after me, I'll send business their way when I'm looking.

You need to pick your recruitment partners more wisely. Let me know if you fancy a chat and let's see if myself or indeed my colleagues can help out.

Yeah I echo this. In my eyes I place Recruitment Consultants alongside Politicians, Traffic Wardens, and Debt Collectors as the scummiest jobs in the UK. Not even like it's a skillful job picking up a phone all day but they all walk around like there shit don't stink. Takes a certain kind of person (clearing in the woods) to be one that's why the turn over in that role is so high. Sure there are decent ones. Out of the 50 or so I've spoken to. Only 1 was nice.

My girlfriend graduated from Uni but had no office experience. She Called one agency. 'Hello Recruitment Agency Word Removes' ' Hi, I would like to register with your agency' 'Do you have office experience ' 'No'... They then slammed the phone down cause she had none. No explanation. Nothing. Heartless pigs.

Don't tar us all with the same brush.

• Like 1

Anyone on here know about medical device d sales? I graduated from Uni last year with a Sports Science degree and the idea of becoming a teacher. Having spent the last 4 months of being a supply teacher with an agency, I'm at a school now as a teaching assistant till the end of term which is nice and easy but not the best pay. I'm aiming to get a permanent job there for now for steady income, and with the experience of being in a school it should help me if I apply to do a PGCE. At the minute the most realistic outcome for me seems to be a Primary school teacher due to the availability of jobs for male primary school teachers. However I've always kept an eye out on the prospect of being a medical sales representative. The jobs I've seen usually require a graduate with experience not that important. The salary is much more appealing with the opportunity of progression, whereas there is not much progression with being a teacher and I'd be stuck on the same salary for most of my life. 

Had an interview, presentation and exercise today, not feeling confident at all. I'm terrible at judging how interviews have gone (and terrible at interviews in general)but the women that I was hoping wasn't in the panel, was. There are certain areas where I do lack experience for the role but others where I bet I know a hell of a lot more than other candidates. I just feel that she is going to favour experience in the other areas.

Fingers crossed I'm wrong, but if not they'll be getting a lot of shit from me as It needs someone to sort things out so any problems I get as a result of that department they'll be hearing from me rather than me just sorting it out as I do now.

Had an interview, presentation and exercise today, not feeling confident at all. I'm terrible at judging how interviews have gone (and terrible at interviews in general)but the women that I was hoping wasn't in the panel, was. There are certain areas where I do lack experience for the role but others where I bet I know a hell of a lot more than other candidates. I just feel that she is going to favour experience in the other areas.

Fingers crossed I'm wrong, but if not they'll be getting a lot of shit from me as It needs someone to sort things out so any problems I get as a result of that department they'll be hearing from me rather than me just sorting it out as I do now.

How did you prepare for the interview and presentation? Do you feel you gave it sufficient time and effort? If so, forget about it for now, wait to hear the result, you've give it everything you can, if you didn't get it ask for feedback and learn for next time [emoji106]

How did you prepare for the interview and presentation? Do you feel you gave it sufficient time and effort? If so, forget about it for now, wait to hear the result, you've give it everything you can, if you didn't get it ask for feedback and learn for next time [emoji106]

Just realised how bitter I sounded in that, which I didn't actually mean. It's just that department make so many mistakes currently & previously that it causes me issues. If it's not me hopefully the new person will get on top of it and after giving them a bit of time I will be let them know every mistake, hopefully I don't need to.

I was a bit under prepared if I'm honest but I worked 60 hours last week and was pretty drained at the end of each shift so it was really bad timing.

I'll be disappointed if I don't get it but not the end of the world. Just need to step up my job hunt again as I haven't been looking for the last 3 months or so because I knew about this role.

Just realised how bitter I sounded in that, which I didn't actually mean. It's just that department make so many mistakes currently & previously that it causes me issues. If it's not me hopefully the new person will get on top of it and after giving them a bit of time I will be let them know every mistake, hopefully I don't need to.

I was a bit under prepared if I'm honest but I worked 60 hours last week and was pretty drained at the end of each shift so it was really bad timing.

I'll be disappointed if I don't get it but not the end of the world. Just need to step up my job hunt again as I haven't been looking for the last 3 months or so because I knew about this role.

If you're working sixty hours a week you're always going to struggle to be properly prepared for any interview, I've always treated the job hunting process as work itself and it's certainly benefited a few times, particularly the last few years, but I realise that it's sometimes impossible to not work those hours too so fair play, can't be helped.

All the best with it buddy, hope it lands for you

After yesterday's disappointment and arsehole (see TTPYOBS for more details), I've fallen into a bit of luck.

I applied for a graduate scheme on one of these job sites and got a phone call yesterday from a graduate recruiter who saw my CV and were interested in helping me out. After a conversation and a phone interview I'm now off to an assessment day on Thursday. Should be good experience at the very least.

I got offered a job today, I'm going to turn it down though as I'd be based in Cardiff three days a week. The other two I could work from home, but while in Cardiff I could chose to either be put up in a hotel + expenses or commute + travel expenses.

It would be worth my time if there was a pay increase, but the payrise would be minimal :( I'm already in the same pay grade of this job so wouldn't even notice the monthly difference, it would just be a step up to a manager position (the job title and experience would be the only worthwhile reason to do the job), so I don't think it's worth all the travelling.

What do you say when they ask about money in a job interview? I'm kind of at my first interview where they don't tell you this is what you're on. I mean do you go higher than what you'd be willing to take, dodge the question, etc.

Also, update on my situation, finally heard back from first crowd I interviewed with, had 2nd interview and got offered the job, money was not great though, for the first year and if I passed my tax exams there was a big bump at the end of year 1. While I was waiting for them to get back I applied for another job got called for interview and offered the job would have been €4,500 more than the other place a year with a similar bump in pay after year one. These jobs were in Limerick & I've since started looking at Dublin, gave my cv to a recruiter Thursday morning and by lunch time he'd 6 interviews for me all with top 12 firms. Off to Dublin Friday for 4 interviews. 

Â