The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

From a career/uni point of view, IMO, unless media studies or music is vocational, I'd assume they aren't much different from a further prospects point of view, purely academically. The music might be viewed as more... Culturally 'rounded' or intellectual, perhaps, but I don't think one or the other is going to ruin the path through life of the average person.

Media studies itself isn't that bad of a degree. I'm lead to believe by some who've taken it is not that far removed from an English course, analysing things in a variety of ways and understanding what they are and what they intend to do and techniques behind them, etc. Though having never done it they could be spinning me a tale.

A degree demonstrates an ability to learn at a certain level - so any degree is good.

Obviously if as a school leaver you have a career in mind - then you may want to align your degree with that. But plenty of senior people have a degree unreleated to their proffesion.

• Like 1

From a career/uni point of view, IMO, unless media studies or music is vocational, I'd assume they aren't much different from a further prospects point of view, purely academically. The music might be viewed as more... Culturally 'rounded' or intellectual, perhaps, but I don't think one or the other is going to ruin the path through life of the average person.

Media studies itself isn't that bad of a degree. I'm lead to believe by some who've taken it is not that far removed from an English course, analysing things in a variety of ways and understanding what they are and what they intend to do and techniques behind them, etc. Though having never done it they could be spinning me a tale.

A degree demonstrates an ability to learn at a certain level - so any degree is good.

Obviously if as a school leaver you have a career in mind - then you may want to align your degree with that. But plenty of senior people have a degree unreleated to their proffesion.

Indeed. Generally the degree itself is worth more then the subject for most people.

I'll say this. I didn't do an overtly vocational degree, nor did I do a traditional academic subject. I got a very good result (annoyingly missing a first by 2 marks, overall). My experience afterwards was that the degree is useful as it demonstrates a certain intellectual standard and it shows a work ethic and independence. What's very useful, are good A Levels behind it. I found my degree opened copious doors but, having been a big headed and arrogant clearing in the woods at A Level, my A Levels slammed almost all of them in my face.

As for knowing your path in life at 17, I didn't have the foggiest. And I still don't now and I'm in my 20s.

Glad there is some degree talk taking place at the moment because I have a post focusing on just that!

I have now secured my place on the Computing and IT Degree with the Open University - I start in October. I never thought I would start studying for a degree at 26 but I have decided to no longer live with my regret of not having gone to university. I plan on moving away from recruitment eventually and beginning a career in IT - particularly interested in system security and project management. (I work in IT recruitment at the moment).

If anybody has any advise about OU study or how I can get my foot in the door it would be great to hear from you.

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

My wife did an OU degree (Maths, Science and Geology mash up!), in a way, just to prove to herself that she could. It wasn't relevant to her work but she had always felt she'd missed out on that Uni side of life.

The degree was hard, but it suited her to fit it in around 'normal' life. What did turn out to be quite important for her was to go along to the meet ups, the tutorials and get in with a small number of like minded people. That way they could set up 'homework' evenings where they could coach and cajole each other and have a bit of moral support rather than being totally on their own. It worked a treat.

Take advantage of as many field trips / get togethers as you can manage. It definitely helped her.

Interview next week for a job I'd actually love. Been here now about 3.5 years will have to sit down with my boss next week and tell him I want out. Feels right though. My poor 15 year old brother will not be happy if I take the PS4 away is the only thing.

Telling my boss I want out today, anyone got an experience with this. We'd a sit down about 9 months ago and I told him if I didn't know if I'd be here in a year, he said tell him so he can plan for it, I've an interview Friday for a job I really want. Thing is he's trying to get me FA Cup tickets as well. I don't know how he'll take it.

Don't let something as trivial (I know, I know) as football ruin your career prospects. How screwed are you if he doesn't give you a reference?

I'm coming home for the final, and have an interview while i'm at home. The inept management here makes me want out, combined with the dreariness and lack of any money of Poland, i'll probably hand my notice in 2 weeks before I fly home for the final. Then I'll go back, sort everything out over here then come back. If I'm unsuccessful for this job, I'll just use my last month's pay as a stop gap to try and find something in the UK.

Don't let something as trivial (I know, I know) as football ruin your career prospects. How screwed are you if he doesn't give you a reference?

I'm coming home for the final, and have an interview while i'm at home. The inept management here makes me want out, combined with the dreariness and lack of any money of Poland, i'll probably hand my notice in 2 weeks before I fly home for the final. Then I'll go back, sort everything out over here then come back. If I'm unsuccessful for this job, I'll just use my last month's pay as a stop gap to try and find something in the UK.

I don't know, I don't think majorly though, I've a pretty impressive cv at the moment. It's just telling him we've lost a few bodies since I've started that haven't been replaced I've taken on a lot more responsibility and workload for extra pay but if I was to go he'd be fairly stuck, not my fault I know just don't know how he'll react.

You have 2 options as far as I can see it.

Be honest with him, tell him you have an interview, then it's down to him for tickets. if he doesn't give you them out of spite then that's his issue. He'll probably still give you a ref as you've been professional.

Don't tell him, let him get you the tickets, get this job on Friday and he may be angry at you and not give you a ref.

• Like 1

Telling my boss I want out today, anyone got an experience with this. We'd a sit down about 9 months ago and I told him if I didn't know if I'd be here in a year, he said tell him so he can plan for it, I've an interview Friday for a job I really want. Thing is he's trying to get me FA Cup tickets as well. I don't know how he'll take it.

Why tell him before you have something else in writing?

As nice as I'm sure he is, that's not really helping either of you, is it? He can't plan for you possibly leaving sometime in the next few months if something else comes along.

I'd wait until you get a positive result from an interview.

• Like 2

100% This ^^

You have a contract with them to work however many hours per week in return for your pay. You owe them nothing more than this. Even if your boss is a mate, he, as a boss, should be pleased if you're bettering yourself elsewhere. That means he has done his job as a boss - get the most out of you (from the sounds of it, he's achieved on that front) and then let you go on to something better. 

If you leaving drops him in it, it means he hasn't been doing his job properly. 

Fix yourself up with something concrete, then tell him soon-as. That way, you can play the old "I respect you, so I wanted you to be the first to know" card. With a bit of luck, he'll have already handed over the cup final tickets by then.

It's got to the stage where I'm definitely leaving though, be it the job Friday or one down the road. My contract is up around June 10th anyway and I was supposed to be subject to a review and a fairly nice pay rise around that date. I've been lucky enough that I've a 5 figure profit on the horses in 2015 so far and can afford a few weeks off if I have to, so if I have to leave when my contract is up that isn't a problem either, I think the sooner he knows the more time he has to get someone in and the happier he is likely to be rather than me springing it on him, that being said though he'll still be in a pickle as he's left 2 full timers go recently and only got in one part time worker to replace them. We've been getting by but if I was to leave he'd be under serious pressure to get at least 1 if not 2 in.

Edited by Folski

Update: Told my boss last Tuesday that it's got to the point where I just want out, need a new challenge. He was fairly shocked, but I did tell him that I said to him last August that I didn't think I'd be here in a years time. He's kind of in a hole as he's let 2 full time people go and only replaced them with one part-time person. Our busiest time of the year is Sept-Nov and if he doesn't have someone who's ready to go by then he'll be screwed, said he'd need as much time as possible but I'm just at the stage where I don't want to get out of bed in the morning, told him if he needs me to I'd work late or whatever he needs in the meantime.

Had an interview Friday for the job I really want, and honestly I think if I scripted it myself I don't think it could have gone much better. Really hit it off with the partner, they left it as saying they're very interested in me, and would definitely meet me again. Just been in touch there about a second interview with another partner so fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Well I start my new job on Monday (well I've got 2 weeks training before I actually start) it was a little weird today when I was clearing my desk of all the junk I've accumulated.

Fair play to them though they are taking me out for a pub lunch tomorrow and I can leave at 2 o'clock.

As a parting shot I've told a few of the pissed off engineers that a rival insurance company is taking on 5 new people, that'll screw the big boys over if they lose them as well (they've already lost 3 of them to the same place)

Â