New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

9 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

His left or your left?

The concept of the lion facing to his own left is making my brain hurt. All I can picture is a lion turning round and round in circles trying to face more to the left than the way he is already facing.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Wouldn’t like it as our badge but I love the design totally! If Villa had a team in Wipeout 2097! 

What nostalgia!

The countless hours spent trying to perfect a track only to slam into a corner right before the finish line at 4:30 am lol

On 28/09/2022 at 04:13, alreadyexists said:

I’m really surprised by the number of people who voted to keep the current badge, I genuinely think it’s awful so I assumed everyone felt similarly. Obviously not!

I wouldn’t say it’s awful. I like it but it does feels a bit dated. 

2 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I wouldn’t say it’s awful. I like it but it does feels a bit dated. 

I’ve never really liked it, and always thought it was just a bit lazy, plain and rubbish… all design is subjective though I suppose, I just assumed that most felt the same. 

I never liked the AVFC bit either, but again just personal preference I suppose 

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I’ve never really liked it, and always thought it was just a bit lazy, plain and rubbish… all design is subjective though I suppose, I just assumed that most felt the same. 

I never liked the AVFC bit either, but again just personal preference I suppose 

It’s also because I grew up with this badge so for me it’s AVFC. I’m assuming you’ve followed the club for a lot longer than that?

7 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

It’s also because I grew up with this badge so for me it’s AVFC. I’m assuming you’ve followed the club for a lot longer than that?

Ah, that makes sense, I’m nearly 40 so my earliest memories are of the early 90s badge which was a nice one. I think childhood memories are often very idealised and a bit rose tinted so maybe that’s why I like it more. I think the AVFC badge came after Lerner’s takeover in 2006-7ish? 

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

I'll be gutted if the new badge is round

What if it's the best badge in the history ever but it's round?

Why is a shape such an issue with people? 

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Ah, that makes sense, I’m nearly 40 so my earliest memories are of the early 90s badge which was a nice one. I think childhood memories are often very idealised and a bit rose tinted so maybe that’s why I like it more. I think the AVFC badge came after Lerner’s takeover in 2006-7ish? 

I adore the 90s badge variations and I could draw it from memory like I did hundreds of times as a kid but it’s aesthetically not great and it needed to change. The problem with the current style badge is the first version of it under Lerner looks like an early design mock up of the redesign we have now and I think memory of that taints the current one which obviously IMO is still in the best 4-5 designs in the league. What they did with the border colour for different purposes was clever so it works well of different backgrounds and save for the star it has nice symmetry and white space. AVFC works well from an aesthetic POV if not a branding POV, it’s shape fits the shield and compliments the lion - which was all wrong with the squashed pussycat and Prepared version. I think the major issue is the yellow on blue which doesn’t bother me but I get it, contrast is important. But yeah I think that first one is haunting the one we use now.

That’s not to say I don’t welcome a change again. And having the full name will be nice.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, paul514 said:

I like this but for me it has to be round.

This is the one thing I don't want, but it's so popular, I'm sure we're going to end up with a claret and blue Chelsea badge.

• Sad 1

I can do without the star tbh. Save it for when we are playing in Europe. We can add one for the domestic kit once we get to 10 league titles perhaps so not for a couple years :D 

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

What if it's the best badge in the history ever but it's round?

Why is a shape such an issue with people? 

It's more that the vast majority of round badges have a certain template to them. They generally feel template designs.

Chuck in that we want to spell out the full 'Aston Villa' name, it kind of dictates the rounded wording common in that template.

Throw in a lion and it is difficult to imagine anything other than a lighter blue (with claret) Chelsea/Millwall badge, following the City Group template.

The sheer number of round badges is also why, but look, itll be inoffensive and at the end of the day I don't follow the club because we have the best badge, I follow because we have a consistently bad team and I love ruining my own weekends

• Like 4

3 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

It's more that the vast majority of round badges have a certain template to them. They generally feel template designs.

Chuck in that we want to spell out the full 'Aston Villa' name, it kind of dictates the rounded wording common in that template.

Throw in a lion and it is difficult to imagine anything other than a lighter blue (with claret) Chelsea/Millwall badge, following the City Group template.

The sheer number of round badges is also why, but look, itll be inoffensive and at the end of the day I don't follow the club because we have the best badge, I follow because we have a consistently bad team and I love ruining my own weekends

Yeah circular isn’t a problem per se, it’s a circle framing the club icon with the club name written around it in sans serif all caps on a border that has a stroke on the inside and outside, and the year splitting the top half and bottom half. City Chelsea Brentford Brighton Leicester Bristol City Millwall new Swansea one (although theirs is actually kinda different I don’t hate it).

Dortmund, Frankfurt, Nuremberg, Hannover, Copenhagen, Ajax, Porto, Brugge are all circular or circular based that don’t follow the formula.