New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, Lichfield Dean said:

Did we have a badge between 1886 and 1956

No, but we made up for it back having 3 in 1990.

I'm sure @Aston_Villan4 has sourced it in good faith and just hasn't looked at it too closely, but the more I look at it, the more wrong it is :D 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Did we have a badge between 1886 and 1956

I’ve seen that pic before and I wouldn’t put too much stock in that image of badges as it’s completely wrong for the most part. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

No, but we made up for it back having 3 in 1990.

I'm sure @Aston_Villan4 has sourced it in good faith and just hasn't looked at it too closely, but the more I look at it, the more wrong it is :D 

I was told to, without question, believe everything I see on the internet? Are you telling me I was led astray?!

Logos-world.net has some splaining to do!

The oldest British football club in 1874 was Aston Villa, whose logo reflects elements of the Scottish royal coat of arms. It symbolizes courage and strength and demonstrates a commitment to the rich history of the club and its achievements.

https://logos-world.net/aston-villa-logo/

Edited by Aston_Villan4

I have a nostalgic like for the 90s - pre Lerner badge, but it's got its problems. The striped background with the lion plonked on top makes it lose its readability when it's small or at a distance. And the current one still looks amateurish and designed by committee. It's gotten better but I still don't think that 'represents' us as a club terribly well. The star remains a sore point - it absolutely should be acknowledged somewhere that part of our identity is winning the biggest pot in the club game, making us one of a rarified group, but shoving it on like an afterthought is dire.

Aesthetically the best are the round era and the 50s. The round ones have a very clean look, and do match our image as a club, IMO, but unfortunately every club in the world has that style now and it's pretty much become the go to football club crest template. I don't think Villa should ever be considered 'just another club' and following the trend of everyone having a clean circular graphically striking and approachable badge is doing exactly that. The 50s one is too old fashioned (in unfashionable ways - there's been an embracing of some old fashioned design choices in current trends, but the kind of fussy heraldic elements aren't one of them generally) but I do like it. We'd never go for it though.

Designing this new badge is going to be a nightmare. We need to thread a needle between ticking boxes and standing out, between looking good and being unique, and giving the club something that gives it an immediate stamp of its unique identity.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The striped background on the 90's badge is awful, makes it way worse than the current badge. Suspect nostalgia is playing a big part in the praise for that.

100%. It’s awful design wise but it’s my favourite by a long way. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The striped background on the 90's badge is awful, makes it way worse than the current badge. Suspect nostalgia is playing a big part in the praise for that.

I largely suspect nostalgia is the reason we'll end up with a round badge that isn't too dissimilar from the 80s design. People hold a fondness for what they grew up with, especially if that couples with a successful period. Same with kits.

I'd guess most people who will get the opportunity to vote would be of the demographic that remembers the European Cup win, whereas those born after 1990, or definitely 2000, are less likely to be at a stage in their life where they have expendable cash for a season ticket etc.

Tradition/history points to a shield. Nostalgia points to that tiny portion of our history that we had a circular badge.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Apparently we had a brighter blue version for one season too.

image.jpeg.18b95c2de8f7d8e69eb90244de03be4c.jpeg

Funnily enough, I like the 1880 version, left-facing.  And I don't mind the 1886 badge either. Villa's taken over Brum!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Apparently we had a brighter blue version for one season too.

image.jpeg.18b95c2de8f7d8e69eb90244de03be4c.jpeg

Those times lines are all over the place and repeating badges annoys me!

Wrong on so many levels!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Richie k said:

I like having "Prepared". A motto helps create a culture or ethos or even an identity that some suggest that we are need of in recent times.

It became a clear embarrassment that season where we were so shit we almost broke records. Bringing it back now, especially this season, would be playing with fire IMO.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 1