New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

On 17/10/2022 at 00:14, Muller Yogurt Long Sleever said:

Evening all

Lurker turned contributor, because apparently I can’t leave this alone. So just chipping in on all things crest.

(Granted, late to the party as apparently it’s reaching a conclusion. But I’ve bought enough beer and snacks for everyone.)

And this topic is a distraction from on the field ..stuff. Or whatever we’re calling it at the moment.

I love the Villa, and am in design world so love that too. I get excited about new kits, crests, random 3rd shirts (despite recent let downs on that front).

So my two bobs worth...

As fans we want our badge, crest - call it what you will - to be authentic. It’s an identity we see and wear. We want to love it, be proud of it, connect with it. Have it tattooed on our arms or Grandmas. (Not everyone will love something new, clearly. It’s am absolute minefield.) It defines us as a shape, letters etc..but it doesn't have to define how we feel or what we think. 

It also needs next generations to love it.

The other side of things is the commercial bit of it living on a national, Premier League stage (for now), and having a global appeal. Our identity is a part of what attracts players, and potential wealthy sponsors.

With a commercial brand hat, I’m not in the round badge camp. I agree with the view that although it represents our biggest achievement, it’s based on nostalgia. It’s clean and tidy, good for social media, but as a global brand (people can like that term or not, but it’s a thing), it’ll get lost in the modern landscape of badges. Many will love it, but it’s the safe option and as a club, I don’t see that as being what we’re about.

Big things about our identity:

In my opinion, our prize asset is our name. Aston Villa is unique. AV has angles. It’s been played around with a lot, sometimes well & sometimes terribly. But it is our identity and is something to embrace. I believe in angles.

The lion rampant is important - not unique, but important, and I believe should be retained, or at least acknowledged, eg.through the characteristics of a lion.

And our heritage. Pioneers. Champions. A traditional brickwork home covered in mosaic and stained glass.

But with massive ambitions. We’re absolutely grand as a club - an institution. And should be confident about it.

Our name is unique, our heritage is unrivalled, our ambitions massive. Confidence is simplicity.Without trying to sound like a presentation.)

One thing I think people forget, and that I’m excited about, is what comes with the badge/crest. The club have spoken about how we represent ourselves - our identity. People focus on what in brand terms is essentially a logo, but I assume we’re also talking values, mission, fonts, graphics, the whole shabang - being released. When a club does this well, it’s an excellent thing.

From what I’ve seen, this type of project is a minefield. 1) Ask everyone? too many opinions, design by committee = outcome is crap or inconclusive (see Watford). (2) Ask no one? Alienate the fan base, divide opinion, mostly get it wrong. (See Dirty Leeds.) (3) Do something brave, modern and progressive? Divide opinion and get lambasted for sh1tting on history. (See Juventus. I actually like it. History doesn’t disappear.)

In my view, the club have taken a sensible and balanced approach, consulting fans and involving them in the process - whilst engaging the expertise of an agency who work in, & understand the modern footballing landscape.

If the new crest isn’t a massive change, it’s not because either are crap - it’s the result of a decent process to make sure the result is as right as it can be. People have knee-jerk reactions to new badges/logos, but good design is born out of research, insight and development, and that is happening here. Credit is due for that. 

Will all fans like the result? No.

Will I cry if it’s a circle? Nope. Just a bit disappointed.

Can we still wear whichever badge we want from any beautiful kit we own? Yep. (Mine’s the yellow 3rd from ’92. Double round badge as it goes.)

Will we still love the Villa? Damn straight.

Do we all agree Cameron Archer should get more game time? Yes. Sorry wrong thread.

And sure, I had a play, nowt special, just love the controversy. 

https://indd.adobe.com/view/3b7d7673-b121-4364-b047-f6249f6fd73c

I love the AV one!

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Obviously not what I'm saying.

And you obviously don't know any designers if you think they won't care what the finished product looks like. I've friends in that industry and they are among the most diligent and proudest workers I know. Weird to suggest a design company would produce something by themselves that's just shit.

Also an important point to note, which everybody seems to have forgotten: the Lerner badge that most of us have grown to despise (or despised all along) was the result of a fan consultation process too.

So acting like the latter is more likely to produce something fit for purpose is........ well, inaccurate essentially.

Obviously 🙂 I was responding to your flippant comment about MOMS and Bardell.

20 hours ago, av1 said:

Whilst I don’t absolutely love our badge in the same way I did about the badge of the late 50’s or 80’s. I don’t dislike the current badge enough to view it a priority in the current circumstances. 

Effort that could be concentrated elsewhere. 

Much like the annoyance we get in the transfer window about "why are we signing a defender, a midfielder should be the priority", the actions expended by the people involved in this have zero bearing on our footballing capability. The two are not mutually exclusive 

If anything, it's a welcome distraction for an otherwise bored and miserable fan base, and the announcement of a new badge that is widely liked will bring some positive vibes to matchday when it happens.

Obviously, it could be crap and piss more people off than not, but getting rid of AVFC from the badge should be welcomed by nearly all.

• Like 1

Much like when videogames are announced too early, why bother putting this out there if they aren’t ready to show everyone. Much like waiting for Gerrard to get the sack everything seems to be taking an age with this club at the moment. ‘Glacial’ should be the new motto on the badge. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Much like when videogames are announced too early, why bother putting this out there if they aren’t ready to show everyone. Much like waiting for Gerrard to get the sack everything seems to be taking an age with this club at the moment. ‘Glacial’ should be the new motto on the badge. 

I think they are ready, just well aware this is the wrong climate to get fan support for what is essentially a complete rebranding of Aston Villa.

from a club business perspective this new badge is actually huge. 

I suspect they will delay until a new manager is in OR we have a couple wins in the next 4 days. 

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I'm with you on this.

Totally understand the comments from others about the timing seeming 'off', but you make your bed and have to lie in it. It's not like we were flying high in the top 6 when they announced this review, far from it, and anyone with a brain could have looked at the timelines and predicted that things would be no different by the time they were ready to unveil.

They went ahead with the development and all the FCG sessions in spite of poor results on the field.

Shying away from it now due to poor sentiment is just rubbing salt in the wound of poor performance. Operational inertia due to performance issues. Delaying improvements until "the mood" improves.

What is "the mood" where Villa fans are concerned, anyway? It's not like we're ever **** happy.

Just release the damn things and be done with it.

24 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I'm with you on this.

Totally understand the comments from others about the timing seeming 'off', but you make your bed and have to lie in it. It's not like we were flying high in the top 6 when they announced this review, far from it, and anyone with a brain could have looked at the timelines and predicted that things would be no different by the time they were ready to unveil.

They went ahead with the development and all the FCG sessions in spite of poor results on the field.

Shying away from it now due to poor sentiment is just rubbing salt in the wound of poor performance. Operational inertia due to performance issues. Delaying improvements until "the mood" improves.

What is "the mood" where Villa fans are concerned, anyway? It's not like we're ever **** happy.

Just release the damn things and be done with it.

The unveil itself and the hype that will surround it is a big deal. They want that to be headline news and ramming it down our throats with propaganda and new merch for quite some time. Why would they bury their own lead by doing it at a time when they’re likely going to be sacking a manager and entering all the drama that that entails?

Better to wait. Manager gone, hopefully new manager excitement, so it then and build the momentum. It’s not like there’s any rush for a new badge we won’t use this season. 

11 hours ago, Spoony said:

The unveil itself and the hype that will surround it is a big deal. They want that to be headline news and ramming it down our throats with propaganda and new merch for quite some time. Why would they bury their own lead by doing it at a time when they’re likely going to be sacking a manager and entering all the drama that that entails?

Better to wait. Manager gone, hopefully new manager excitement, so it then and build the momentum. It’s not like there’s any rush for a new badge we won’t use this season. 

Are they? What makes us think that. Our form is as bad as it ever was under Smith, were up against Fulham this evening where we might actually stand a chance of a half-decent result -- why would they be willing to sack him tonight or next week after allowing him to preside over the naïve shit-show that was the last few games? 

I too want him gone ASAP but I'm seeing no signs that they're on the verge of pulling the trigger.

As for the crest release, if you're saying it's not going to happen with him in charge, then we could be waiting a long time indeed.

I would expect and hope to see some leaks though. Amazed there have been none.

13 hours ago, Spoony said:

They want that to be headline news and ramming it down our throats with propaganda and new merch for quite some time.

This is a good point.. what will happen to the current/existing merch? Knowing that a new badge is around the corner, will people want to purchase merch with 'old' branding on it for full price? 

6 hours ago, PeterSw said:

This is a good point.. what will happen to the current/existing merch? Knowing that a new badge is around the corner, will people want to purchase merch with 'old' branding on it for full price? 

People buy a new shirt every year knowing it'll be out of date in 9 months.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Is there any reason why this has suddenly gone a bit quiet? 

Erm......

When do you reckon was a good time to announce it?

New badge photo captioned;

" Steven Gerrard has been sacked , but this New Crest is ace , have your say Villa fans.."

Jokes aside, the last week, the crest definitely would not have been the priority, and fans wouldn't have been in the mood for it either.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Erm......

When do you reckon was a good time to announce it?

New badge photo captioned;

" Steven Gerrard has been sacked , but this New Crest is ace , have your say Villa fans.."

Jokes aside, the last week, the crest definitely would not have been the priority, and fans wouldn't have been in the mood for it either.

😝

thanks for biting!
And you @HalfTimePost 

hah! 

• Haha 2

On 17/10/2022 at 09:52, Teale's 'tache said:

@Muller Yogurt Long Sleever To Add the image you click on the 'other media' button on the bottom right of the area where you create a post then click on 'insert image from URL', then you enter the URL (address of where you image is online) of your image, in this case the URL is:

"https://indd.adobe.com/view/publication/3b7d7673-b121-4364-b047-f6249f6fd73c/1/publication-web-resources/image/Screenshot_2022-10-16_at_19.21.54.png"

And I'll post your image below for anyone who missed or didn't want to click on the link

spacer.png

Some nice stuff there mate, I also tried switching the lion to face to the right, but it doesn't seem to matter how many times I see it facing that way my brain keeps telling me it's wrong, I guess over time people may get used to it, just might be a hard sell to begin with!

Thanks for the help fella, and the share, much appreciated!   

Lion left, lion right, know which I prefer but sure most would stay with tradition.  Maybe we could be the first to have a digital badge with a gif of a lion going side to side. In a circle, then a crest, then a lamp post.  

• Like 1