$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

Not ITK at all - I just have a feeling something has been in the pipeline for some time and it's just a matter of crossing the i's and dotting the t's.

You don't simply put up a 'For Sale' sign on a football club with an asking price of £200mil, nor do you release a statement with the tone of RL's latest 'communication' with us if something hasn't already been happening or is in some advanced stage of discussion.

While I do not work in the football sector, I do work in the financial sector and deals as big as this do not happen overnight, on the contrary, it can take many months to hash things out and actually sign the contracts required.

I suspect at the moment we are in the due diligence phase which essentially means the buyers are making sure there are no massive debts hanging over the club, no ridiculous overheads that cannot be removed (bomb squad can be removed fairly easily (at a cost)), confirming with various authorities what land Aston VIlla FC actually own outright etc etc.

What I really cannot believe is that RL's statement has been made without ANYTHING in place - that is business suicide in any sector, let alone football, and even with his poor choices of manager I do not think a multi billionaire is in the practice of making bad business decisions. He has made some bad ones with us, but someone who is as wealthy as RL you have got to assume he has a business head on him, anything other than that seems folly to me.

In terms of who might be taking us over, put 30 names in a hat and pull one out - I have no idea and I think that only a select few will know until the official Club Statement we are all waiting for.

Great posting, agree with this 100%, It's also quite the coincidence about what Kwan said about the potential owner and then *boom*, Rich's jet lands on Birmingham, along with the law firm who has handled sport team/franchaise buys/sales. Hopefully it's not just a coincidence.

On flip side of this, why did he tell us it was up for sale instead of waiting to the t's were dotted? Its not as if he or the club were very forth coming with info in the past.

Maybe they wanted to put the rumours and speculation into the ground. The media and fans has been speculating about the sale for months, and I can imagine how fans would've reacted if hadn't heard anything from the club after the season, and the amount of pure speculation about the future of the club.

I think he had to put out something.

Not ITK at all - I just have a feeling something has been in the pipeline for some time and it's just a matter of crossing the i's and dotting the t's.

You don't simply put up a 'For Sale' sign on a football club with an asking price of £200mil, nor do you release a statement with the tone of RL's latest 'communication' with us if something hasn't already been happening or is in some advanced stage of discussion.

While I do not work in the football sector, I do work in the financial sector and deals as big as this do not happen overnight, on the contrary, it can take many months to hash things out and actually sign the contracts required.

I suspect at the moment we are in the due diligence phase which essentially means the buyers are making sure there are no massive debts hanging over the club, no ridiculous overheads that cannot be removed (bomb squad can be removed fairly easily (at a cost)), confirming with various authorities what land Aston VIlla FC actually own outright etc etc.

What I really cannot believe is that RL's statement has been made without ANYTHING in place - that is business suicide in any sector, let alone football, and even with his poor choices of manager I do not think a multi billionaire is in the practice of making bad business decisions. He has made some bad ones with us, but someone who is as wealthy as RL you have got to assume he has a business head on him, anything other than that seems folly to me.

In terms of who might be taking us over, put 30 names in a hat and pull one out - I have no idea and I think that only a select few will know until the official Club Statement we are all waiting for.

Great posting, agree with this 100%, It's also quite the coincidence about what Kwan messaid about the potential owner and then *boom*, Rich's jet lands on Birmingham, along with the law firm who has handled sport team/franchaise buys/sales. Hopefully it's not just a coincidence.
On flip side of this, why did he tell us it was up for sale instead of waiting to the t's were dotted? Its not as if he or the club were very forth coming with info in the past.

Maybe they wanted to put the rumours and speculation into the ground. The media and fans has been speculating about the sale for months, and I can imagine how fans would've reacted if hadn't heard anything from the club after the season, and the amount of pure speculation about the future of the club.

I think he had to put out something.

Why? If a deal was nearing completion what would another 2-3 weeks matter. Its not as if we had games to play and effecting that.

I get the uncertainty and trepidation from some posters - I think the time to be really worried was when the first 'rumour' came out that we were for sale. 100% that's when RL started looking for buyers (if not before that), not 2 weeks ago, not saying that from an AVFC ITK position, saying that from having seen at close quarters my fair share of takeovers, buyouts, fire sales, divisions, mergers and even the odd hostile takeover.

Now, if in a few months time we see a statement that reads something like 'we had a buyer but they pulled out, we have begun the search again blah blah blah' then I would start to get worried for our Premier League survival status - not a moment sooner.

Also, forgot to mention in an earlier post as it barely crossed my mind, I would not be surprised if RL himself is doing due diligence on the buyers too - this isn't that uncommon.

But when all's said and done, I will still love Villa no matter what happens.

Villan til I die.

• Like 3

but his business and financial decisions have been quite sound long before he got here and since.

Pumping large amounts of money in, allowing costs to spiral out of control and then making drastic cuts doesn't quite back that up.

Costs weren't "out of control" - they did get too high, sure. But then at the time the commitments were made, his circs were different, as was the world's. He got them back to a good level, though the football suffered because of it. He's no longer willing to put money in, he may get all his money back (no idea) in which case he'll have done fine in business tersm, while making the club have better infrastructure, something the last bloke was unable to do, and we had 3 or 4 good years and 3 or 4 bad.

His football decisions have been poor, mostly. He should definitely go, but business wise we don't yet know how HE has done out of it. it's a sahme, it was not out of lack of desire, but out of poor appointments of people and failing to understand that he needed good advice.

God to fnially see a psot written by somoene who kwons how to spell. :)

Edited by CrackpotForeigner
  • Like 1