$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

I like this Cortese dude, like the cut of his jib, and his ears are claret too so he kinda looks the part.

I'm a total optimist when it comes to these kind of matters but the thing I don't get about the cortese theory is that he would need somebody to buy the club and then employ him? Have I got that right?

I don't think many of our American billionaire friends would know who he is? Would they?

If Cortese is coming, I think he will bring his own consortium - its unlikely that  some Americans - will shell out £200m - then employ a bloke they don't know from Adam to run the thing...

I like this Cortese dude, like the cut of his jib, and his ears are claret too so he kinda looks the part.

I'm a total optimist when it comes to these kind of matters but the thing I don't get about the cortese theory is that he would need somebody to buy the club and then employ him? Have I got that right?

I don't think many of our American billionaire friends would know who he is? Would they?

Depends how well informed they are. If they are going to the effort to buy a football club then I'm sure most would do a bit of research and probably hire some good advisors etc. I think it's unlikely that the next owner/s will approach it as naïvely as Lerner did.

In July 2009, Cortese conducted the deal to buy Southampton, then in administration, for Markus Liebherr, a German-born, Swiss-based industrialist.[3] Following the completion of the purchase, Liebherr realised that his newly acquired business had no senior management structure, and invited Cortese to take the role of Executive Chairman, with the principal role of developing the long term strategy for the football club and the business.[4] Cortese was appointed a director of Southampton Football Club Limited on 1 August 2009.

When you take over a football club this is what you do Randy!

But then someone like Cortese would see straight through the god that was O'Neill.

So Randy's chief exec versus the inexplicably popular manager.

Cortese would have been gone as quick as you could say Richard Fitzgerald.

Adkins was pretty popular and had been doing well. That didn't stop Cortese. Think he is very driven and has a plan to succeed.
  • Like 1

Yeah thats a good point. Has Yakin got another job yet or any lined up?

If Cortese is coming, I think he will bring his own consortium - its unlikely that  some Americans - will shell out £200m - then employ a bloke they don't know from Adam to run the thing...

I wouldn't be surprised if they know him in some form or another, business men and bankers tend to be very well connected, especially when it comes to sport, even across continents.

Cortese was linked with part of a consortium to takeover Southampton back In January but no names as far as I know apart from Cortese's were mentioned. I know Southampton fans seemed to think he had Billionaire's on speed-dial.

In July 2009, Cortese conducted the deal to buy Southampton, then in administration, for Markus Liebherr, a German-born, Swiss-based industrialist.[3] Following the completion of the purchase, Liebherr realised that his newly acquired business had no senior management structure, and invited Cortese to take the role of Executive Chairman, with the principal role of developing the long term strategy for the football club and the business.[4] Cortese was appointed a director of Southampton Football Club Limited on 1 August 2009.

When you take over a football club this is what you do Randy!

But then someone like Cortese would see straight through the god that was O'Neill.

So Randy's chief exec versus the inexplicably popular manager.

Cortese would have been gone as quick as you could say Richard Fitzgerald.

Yes because Lerner had no real clue what he was doing, which is what Amo was trying to highlight. As we saw at Southampton, better owners sided with Cortese when he decided to sack their own "popular manager" in Nigel Adkins.

Cortese was linked with part of a consortium to takeover Southampton back In January but no names as far as I know apart from Cortese's were mentioned. I know Southampton fans seemed to think he had Billionaire's on speed-dial.

I think thats the other option for him. The current owner of Southampton has no interest in football - inherited the club from her dad ...I think....

I think thats the other option for him. The current owner of Southampton has no interest in football - inherited the club from her dad ...I think....

Southampton fans seemed pretty downbeat looking on one of their forums the other day, thinking they're going to be losing a lot of their stars, so I think they'd like that. The price being mentioned back in January was 100 million so cheaper than Villa but the Liebherr's only paid 14 million in the first place.

Yeah she did, big ugly fat bird.

favourite ever VT post

• Like 1

I think someone here mentioned that Newcastle might be interested in Cortese...I don't think he'd be interested in them as Ashley is very happy keeping Newcastle right where it is, and won't be even trying to break into top 6. I'd say he's either trying to buy Southampton as part of the consortium or then he's gonna be hired to be CEO by our buyers.

Gawd I hope it's the latter.

I think someone here mentioned that Newcastle might be interested in Cortese...I don't think he'd be interested in them as Ashley is very happy keeping Newcastle right where it is, and won't be even trying to break into top 6. I'd say he's either trying to buy Southampton as part of the consortium or then he's gonna be hired to be CEO by our buyers.

You'd have to wonder, clearly he'll have seen a lot of his hard work at Southampton dismantled if they sell Shaw & Lallana.

It won't be Cortese, I just can't even imagine that. Can you imagine the sort of job he could do though if he had serious money?

Been a bit of turbulence around Daniel Levy lately, although he's done brilliant for Spurs he's made some bad decisions too. I think Joe lewis (spurs owner) getting him to replace Levy is more likely than him coming to us tbh.

You'd have to wonder, clearly he'll have seen a lot of his hard work at Southampton dismantled if they sell Shaw & Lallana.

The youth system was in place before he joined the club though. The credit for that is usually given to Rupert Lowe.

When someone says I'm a Villa fan but then that usually means that they aren't a Villa fan. Bit like when you say I'm not racist but...

I'm fairly certain he's a troll, most likely a bluenose. He pops in occasionally, has a go at people and never responds to anyone's replies to his posts. He's either a troll, or someone who needs to lighten up and join the party.

Cortese studied in Switzerland, where Yakin is from. So we just need to find a link between Cortese and our billionaire and we have the perfect set up. Well we can dream can't we.

I'm salivating... New owner (with backers), Cortese, Yakin and a nice transfer 'war chest' for the summer. That'd make us soon forget about Marc Albrighton, at least!
  • Like 1

The youth system was in place before he joined the club though. The credit for that is usually given to Rupert Lowe.

Aye, but as he said there was no way he'd have left them leave, and he was 18months into a 5 year plan.