Leicester City

Villan4Life

16 hours ago, useless said:

Gerrard, Smith, Parker, Kieran McKenna, and Enzo Maresca on shortlist for their managerial vacancy according to Percy in Telegraph.

he's only managed in League one, but McKenna I think would probably be my choice from that bunch. 

23 hours ago, babyblue said:

Don't think it was ever 7th highest, Everton were always ahead of us. We started cutting back a season or so back due to the FFP changes on the horizon, so it was already coming down. Factor into that all players have a 50% relegation wage drop and the 9 players being out of contract is a god send. It means ALL of those high wages are off the books instantly. 

Not sure why you think the owners have money issues, they just wrote off £200m debt and were still pressing ahead with a massive ground revamp and the surrounding areas. Of course there were covid issues, but it had no impact on us financially. That was about us being at the top of our limit already in terms of what we could spend and pass FFP. 

Agree on Rodgers, absolute shit show that bloke and sticking with him when it was obvious to all fans sealed our fate. I lay the blame almost entirely at his door, despite his PR team wanting everyone to think otherwise. 

The wage bill has been confirmed as 7th highest in 2021,  at £192m, closely followed by Everton at £185m. 

It seemed like the financial model was to overspend, and then recoup the difference by making big sales like Maguire, Fofana, Chilwell etc but for whatever reason they couldn’t shift anyone on last summer. 6 or 7 first team players leaving on frees this summer sums up the failure on getting players out, but that could turn out to be a positive though as mentioned, getting them immediately off the wage bill whilst there will still be big incoming fees presumably for the likes of Maddison and Barnes. 

Perhaps the bigger issue is that they’ve entered a financing agreement with an Australian bank, secured against future Premier League broadcast / prize money, which I don’t think is going to put the club in serious jeopardy but might restrict them in what they can or can’t afford in the future

Edited by david-avfc

2 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

The wage bill has been confirmed as 7th highest in 2021,  at £192m, closely followed by Everton at £185m. 

Big part of that is Nostalgia and not "selling" at the right time.

They gave vardy north of 150k a week, when he was past 30. Now they have a league 1 level player on that money. Because he was so highly paid, better players like Barnes, Tielemans, Maddison demand such money and so on.

In the next 2/3 years we will need to make similar decisions on the likes of Mcginn, Mings, Diego even Watkins. Do we pay them 100k a week plus well into their 30s as they will all want 3/4 year contracts or move them on. The good clubs move them on. Poorly run clubs end up with a load of 33/35 year olds on 100k+ a week (Everton) who they cant resell.

Our fan base had a melt down over not offering a 38 year old a contract only last week. 

• Like 4

On 06/06/2023 at 13:19, babyblue said:

It's not a shock to those Leicester fans watching closely the last two seasons, Rodgers has done nothing but throw people under the bus left right and centre, ruin half the squad with his training and instil the most god awful brand of football. It's ALL about him, his brand and nothing else matters. Slagging off players constantly you need and the endless negativity in his football and everything he said. One of the most disliked managers ever to grace our door!

Football is cyclical though for clubs our size, even clubs bigger than us (Villa, Newcastle, Leeds). I've seen us win League One, The Championship, Two League Cups, The FA Cup, The Charity Shield and the Premier League. I feel blessed to follow this club, it's utterly batshit crazy but the bad is always weighed out with the good. We'll be back at some point. 

Will the new stand you were building now be put on hold or are you going ahead with it ? Will you still sell out in the championship?

Parker would be a boring but probably sensible appointment from them given he's been promoted from that division twice and at two different clubs, so has shown that he can go into a new team and do well.

But their fans seem to think that Enzo Maresca and Adolph Hutter are still in with a chance, or maybe that's just wishful thinking from then because don't want Parker.

Whoever it shall be is going to have a tough job, as I imagine that most of the Leicester squad will want to leave, I've seen suggestions that even the likes of Luke Thomas and Dewsbury-Hall want out, so even allowing that they might have money to spend going to be a big rebuild job.

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It's a poor appointment but tbf Parker has more Championship promotions than Smith.

Looks better in a jumper as well. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Might as well hire Steve Bruce if thats criteria

Parker's promotions involved mostly currently active players within the 2 divisions, so he has that going for him over Bruce.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Might as well hire Steve Bruce if thats criteria

Well as I said it's a poor appointment - it's not one I would've made. Just pointing out that I don't necessarily think Smith is that much a better option.

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Parker's promotions involved mostly currently active players within the 2 divisions, so he has that going for him over Bruce.

Parker reputation has been ripped apart after his tantrum last season. No self respecting player will want to play for him

Should go all out for Potter and give him a couple of seasons. As for Barnes , if they can't get the money they want , loan him out and sell him next summer if they don't get promoted. He can keep his house in the area that way and stands a chance of showing his quality in a more settled team. 

The usual vulture clubs will be circling trying to get something for nothing, surprised Spurs ain't being linked for Maddison , 10 quid and a packet of crisps . 

Edited by tinker

22 minutes ago, tinker said:

Should go all out for Potter and give him a couple of seasons. As for Barnes , if they can't get the money they want , loan him out and sell him next summer if they don't get promoted. He can keep his house in the area that way and stands a chance of showing his quality in a more settled team. 

The usual vulture clubs will be circling trying to get something for nothing, surprised Spurs ain't being linked for Maddison , 10 quid and a packet of crisps . 

Potter is above championship 

For me the chelsea job was abasket case and he still did better than lampard did

I think he will end up at midtable club like palace fulham if they dont start well

Everyone was linked with potter when he was at brighton. Now he is available with no compensation i think a few prem clubs might go for him next year 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Potter is above championship 

For me the chelsea job was abasket case and he still did better than lampard did

Like that’s so hard.

If Parker can get them back in the Premier League them he's a good appointment, Smith's reputation has gone down a bit. He did it with us but we had some great players but he couldn't do it with Norwich or  Brentford.  Depending on who they keep and who they sign Leicester will be one of the favourites to come back up.

Â