Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

My point was we've had all window to sign players.  Losing out on a couple of deals on deadline day doesn't excuse a serious lack of spending compared to the majority of the premier league.

You're right - we have underspent and not filled some gaps but it's just annoying hearing people constantly going on about how the club have bid for players as a token gesture with no intention of actually doing a deal. Once again it's this black and white approach - either a club wants a player and they will get him or they don't want him and never intended to sign him in the first place. There's no middle ground it seems (e.g. the club wanted a player but it didn't happen due to wage demands, not wanting to leave their current club etc).

• Like 1

My point was we've had all window to sign players.  Losing out on a couple of deals on deadline day doesn't excuse a serious lack of spending compared to the majority of the premier league.

You're right - we have underspent and not filled some gaps but it's just annoying hearing people constantly going on about how the club have bid for players as a token gesture with no intention of actually doing a deal. Once again it's this black and white approach - either a club wants a player and they will get him or they don't want him and never intended to sign him in the first place. There's no middle ground it seems (e.g. the club wanted a player but it didn't happen due to wage demands, not wanting to leave their current club etc).

Yes i agree i think it's perfectly reasonable to think we wanted a player but just couldn't get the deal done.

• Like 1

I have no idea what Ryan Flynn is like but Westwood basically came from League 2 and he did alright.

Using that argument you could say all league 2 players could be good in the premiership. That's not the case though and that's why all other lower league signings failed.
To be fair Westwood came from League one. League 2 was J-Bowz territory
Westwood hadn't played a minute in league 1 when we signed him. Crewe got promoted to league 1 and we signed him before the season started.