Jose Mourinho

TRO

They're still relying on Liverpool losing another game and City also to lose a game to win the PL, really can't see it.

Can see them making the CL final and they can certainly win it ,even if Madrid who I suspect will also make it through, will start as big favourites.

This has to be a warning though to everyone else to significantly strengthen as I think they've done very well to be as close to the top 2 as they have. Next season with a more prolific striker I think they'll win the league quite comfortably.

Their style of play might not yield a single trophy that's not really a success given their financial outlay.

It's the 1st year of the Mourinho project. I have no doubt they will have at least 2 at the end of his contract.

The man is a genius. They have beaten both Liverpool and Man City away this year, who cares about the kind of football they play.

They have a world-class squad and should have been ahead in the league, but a lack of a good striker has paid its price no doubt.

Just let Man City win the league, I would love to see Gerrard crying after game 38, after yet another season without a trophy.

Their style of play might not yield a single trophy that's not really a success given their financial outlay.

If you are still in with a shot of the League and European Cup double with 2 matches to play in each then I would suggest you have had a good season. Especially for a first season in charge.

I love this José /mad Mario tale-

Jose on Balatelli- "I remember one time when we went to play Kazan in the Champions League. In that match I had all my strikers injured. No Diego Milito, no Samuel Eti'o, I was really in trouble and Mario was the only one.

Mario got a yellow card in the 42nd minute, so when I got to the dressing room at half-time I spend 14 minutes of the 15 speaking only to Mario.

I said to him 'Mario, I cannot change you, I have no strikers on the bench, so don't touch anybody and play only the ball. If we lose the ball no reaction. If someone provokes you, no reaction, if the referee makes a mistake, no reaction'.

The 46th minute - red card".

I love this José /mad Mario tale-

Jose on Balatelli- "I remember one time when we went to play Kazan in the Champions League. In that match I had all my strikers injured. No Diego Milito, no Samuel Eti'o, I was really in trouble and Mario was the only one.

Mario got a yellow card in the 42nd minute, so when I got to the dressing room at half-time I spend 14 minutes of the 15 speaking only to Mario.

I said to him 'Mario, I cannot change you, I have no strikers on the bench, so don't touch anybody and play only the ball. If we lose the ball no reaction. If someone provokes you, no reaction, if the referee makes a mistake, no reaction'.

The 46th minute - red card".

Samuel Eto'o played 90 minutes and Mario got his cards in the 20th and 60th minutes.

It's a good story though

If you are still in with a shot of the League and European Cup double with 2 matches to play in each then I would suggest you have had a good season. Especially for a first season in charge.

Agreed. Winning the Premier League isn't easy, especially in your first season when you can't really build your own team. Chelsea have spent money, sure, but City spend more so by that logic Chelsea shouldn't be winning the title anyway.

To win at Anfield without Cech, Terry, Ramires, Oscar, Hazard and Eto'o is mighty impressive given how important these players have been at points in the season. Even Cahill and Willian didn't start. A style of football is irrelevant if it's a winning style. I don't think Rodgers will go home happy playing a more attractive style, nor will Jose be crying himself to sleep.

• Like 1

Tactical genius. He does not seem to care that he parks the bus, he wins, and thats what the fans want. He will go far by that approach, and by drawing with Atletico they are with a big chance of going to the CL final. Unfortunately, the league is out of his hands, so they must rely on other results. I hope they do it though, out of ManC and Liverpool. 

Secondly, as much as we can despise him, he knows exactly what he is doing. Let me give you an example;

When ramires brutally and criminally fouled Karim, Jose knew exactly what he was doing to get himself sent off. I think he did it to take the pressure of his player. And the papers hardly talked about Ramires; it was all about Mourinho getting sent off. 

He is a tactical genius, bit of an asshole, but a great, intelligent manager. 

• Like 1

I don't think Mourinho could have walked into Liverpool and done what Rodgers has done but I wouldn't mind betting that if were the other way around Rodgers would be doing very well indeed at Chelsea.

As for who's crying themselves to sleep Liverpool are still two points ahead of Chelsea so as it stand their style of play has been more succesful and I think for Chelsea's season to perceived as a success they need to win one of the trophies that  they're going for, despite it being Mourinho's first season.

And as people say there is nothing wrong with defensive football if it yields success with success being relative to a club's ambitions and expectations.

(Gah! I've managed to confuse myself hopefully it makes sense.)

• Like 1

What is the difference between Alex Mcleish and Jose Mourinho? Both employ similar tactics yet one is much maligned and the other is the messiah

Is this a genuine question?

Seriously?

Like actually seriously or have you posted this for effect?

The difference is, quite glaringly obviously, results.

Mourinho plays crap football (SOMETIMES) but wins. A lot. A hell of a lot.

McLeish plays crap football and loses. A lot. A hell of a lot.

And as much as people like to moan about Mourinho, I bet the list of fans who wouldn't want him as manager of their club is very, VERY short.

• Like 2

I don't think Mourinho could have walked into Liverpool and done what Rodgers has done but I wouldn't mind betting that if were the other way around Rodgers would be doing very well indeed at Chelsea.

As for who's crying themselves to sleep Liverpool are still two points ahead of Chelsea so as it stand their style of play has been more succesful and I think for Chelsea's season to perceived as a success they need to win one of the trophies that  they're going for, despite it being Mourinho's first season.

And as people say there is nothing wrong with defensive football if it yields success with success being relative to a club's ambitions and expectations.

(Gah! I've managed to confuse myself hopefully it makes sense.)

You don't think Jose could have turned up at Liverpool, with players like Gerrard and Suarez and £100m to spend and made them title contenders by his second season? I do, I think that is exactly what he would do.

What is the difference between Alex Mcleish and Jose Mourinho? Both employ similar tactics yet one is much maligned and the other is the messiah

if you can't see the difference between the two and the way their respective teams have played the game then I suggest you stop watching football, or start. Whichever is applicable.

• Like 2

I'm not arguing Mourinho has won more or is the better manager but Mcleish was the most successful ever manager at Blues, winning their first major trophy and getting them their highest ever Premier League position. They achieved more under his time there than when they had Francis, Latchford and Burns. Would Mourinho have done any better at Blues? Basically Mcleish adapted the teams style of play to suit the players he had just like Mourinho.

He's taken over a club with a fantastic squad of players and hasn't improved them. 

I'm not arguing Mourinho has won more or is the better manager but Mcleish was the most successful ever manager at Blues, winning their first major trophy and getting them their highest ever Premier League position. They achieved more under his time there than when they had Francis, Latchford and Burns. Would Mourinho have done any better at Blues? Basically Mcleish adapted the teams style of play to suit the players he had just like Mourinho.

He's taken over a club with a fantastic squad of players and hasn't improved them. 

I'm struggling to remember ever reading something as baffling as this on VT before.

I've started a reply to this 4 times, but I honestly don't know where to start.

• Like 4

Mcleish was the most successful ever manager at Blues, winning their first major trophy and getting them their highest ever Premier League position. They achieved more under his time there than when they had Francis, Latchford and Burns. Would Mourinho have done any better at Blues? Basically Mcleish adapted the teams style of play to suit the players he had just like Mourinho.

Most successful manager? That wouldn't be hard considering they hadn't won anything in 100 years. Would Jose have done better? Yes without a shadow of a doubt. Take a look at his CL win with Porto. 

And not mcLeish didn't adapt the teams style to suit the players he had, he signed players suited to his style or adapted the ones he had. Just as he tried to do here and at Forest.

As for saying Jose hasn't improved players, take a look at Cahill, the chap playing LB ahead of Cole most weeks or Eden Hazard.

if you can't see the difference between the two and the way their respective teams have played the game then I suggest you stop watching football, or start. Whichever is applicable.

As a moderator of this fine forum I would have thought you would know better than to get personal. Yes point out I'm wrong but there's no need to insult me.

Â