Jose Mourinho

TRO

Managers need to be able to deal with the media, especially when the team is under pressure.  All of them have their own method. Pochettino, despite speaking good English, still uses his translator. When was the last time he was misquoted - or even quoted - about anything. Clever bastard.

Jose does his best to focus all the attention on him. All this talk about playing a 'weakened team' aginst Liverpool had the press lapping it up. Liverpool surely must be expected to win against a weakened team!?! (Do Chelsea even have a weakened team to put out?)

Brendon Rodgers has a skill of deflecting attention away from controversy in a post-match interview. When asked about whether Suarez dived for Liverpool's 181st penalty this season he'll offer something about how he didn't really see it and then throw in the tangent about how good Raheeeeem Sterling has been. Avoided and new topic started.

Our manager, bless him, may as well pre-record his interviews as they seem to be the same whether we win, lose or draw. 

Imagine if they'd got a decent centre forward.

They do. He's on loan at Everton.

Haha he's not consistent enough yet to lead the line in a title challenge.

If Chelsea get Diago Costa however...

I'm not sure Costa would do it at Chelsea. Its a graveyard for prolific strikers! They are better going for a mobile giant up front.. a new Drogba. Could Bony do it at Chelsea?

Of course he can lose games, and he's a great manager, but he's not as brilliant as some would have you believe.

I'd respect him more if his expensively assembled teams played football.

His record would indicate he really is as good as people say.

And that is fair enough re the football his sides play if that's your view, I don't agree but you're far from on your own thinking that.

But to say he doesn't win when it matters literally couldn't be further from the truth.

I think Chelsea will be much better next year. For the fantastic results he's pulled off in the big games (Man City away, Liverpool away, Paris home) there have been uncharacteristically poor results against Sunderland, Palace and us in a very short space of time. 

Hypothetically (obviously), where in the league do you think our squad would / could be were Jose at the helm?

16th on 35 points.

You really think that? You think Jose and Lambert would exactly the same results with the same players? What's the point in having a manager then?

Imagine if they'd got a decent centre forward.

They do. He's on loan at Everton.

Haha he's not consistent enough yet to lead the line in a title challenge.

If Chelsea get Diago Costa however...

I'm not sure Costa would do it at Chelsea. Its a graveyard for prolific strikers! They are better going for a mobile giant up front.. a new Drogba. Could Bony do it at Chelsea?

I think Bony would do great at either Chelsea or Arsenal, although they have Lukaku to come back so they may be a bit similar.

I think the thing with Jose is, he's a winner, and absolutely puts winning before everything else. It brings the best (tactics) and worst (antics) out of him, and it's undoubtedly the latter that stopped him getting the Manure job.

If you want to win stuff, he's your man. If you want to win and play good football, you have to look a little harder.

• Like 2

Hypothetically (obviously), where in the league do you think our squad would / could be were Jose at the helm?

16th on 35 points.

You really think that? You think Jose and Lambert would exactly the same results with the same players? What's the point in having a manager then?

Sure. No other manager could've done any better than Lambert has here apparently.

I think the thing with Jose is, he's a winner, and absolutely puts winning before everything else. It brings the best (tactics) and worst (antics) out of him, and it's undoubtedly the latter that stopped him getting the Manure job.

If you want to win stuff, he's your man. If you want to win and play good football, you have to look a little harder.

"white guys want to win first and look good second.

Black guys want to look good first and win second" Woody Harrelson in White Men Can't Jump

Racial stereotyping aside, in this analogy, Mourinho is a "white guy".

And its a philosophy that I agree with. Good looking football is all well and good. But winning comes first.

Why would Chelsea go to Anfield and try to beat a free flowing footballing team at their own game when they'd probably lose?

It makes no sense. Especially when he can play the way he did and win.

By all means, if managers play crap football and still lose the criticise away *cough Villa cough*

But when that "crap" football works as well as it does for Mourinho it makes literally no sense to criticise it.

Its like criticising Bubba Watson for his golf swing after he's won the Masters because it doesn't look great.

There is no right or wrong way to play. A manager has a right to employ any tactics he wants. Just like there is no textbook way to run. Michael Johnson had an unorthodox running style which no coach or textbook would agree with. But all the guys who were supposedly running the correct way were meters behind him while he got the gold.

Edited by Voinjama
  • Like 3

Then when you can't find it and you've missed the boat appoint Moyes.

Well, that's the good thing about football, isn't it? There are many different approaches, and ways to win.

As much as I disliked the gits, the best football in recent years was Manure when they had Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney ripping up the league*.

A different discussion for a different thread, of course.

*Not including my beloved Czech Republic of Euro 2004.

Well, that's the good thing about football, isn't it? There are many different approaches, and ways to win.

As much as I disliked the gits, the best football in recent years was Manure when they had Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney ripping up the league*.

A different discussion for a different thread, of course.

*Not including my beloved Czech Republic of Euro 2004.

I'd argue the invincibles were better to watch but its marginal. I certainly prefer the Rodgers way to the Mourinho

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

I did think they would do a classic Jose job and win 0-1, but he had me fooled too when he said about resting his team.

They'll fall short of the title but he is still the best in the league. Atletico will be worried after watching that

Â