Wes Hoolahan

LockStockVilla

On Talksport they said Hoolahan wants the move, others saying it could be completed by tomorrow.

Hmm, for some reason it just doesn't seem to add up for me, I can't see it happening IMO. I think we'll sign our 'number 10' on loan.

Something that could mean something, could mean nothing at all - Darren Huckerby (who now coaches at Norwich) just referred to Hoolahan potentially moving to Villa as "#SillySeason"

Edited by samjp26

Not sure what part doesn't add up. On one hand I'd be surprised if they flog him for £1.5m but on the other hand he's not currently first choice. Maybe if he was they wouldn't be where they are :-P

Not sure what part doesn't add up. On one hand I'd be surprised if they flog him for £1.5m but on the other hand he's not currently first choice. Maybe if he was they wouldn't be where they are :-P

I just can't see Norwich allowing him to leave for less than say £3m, especially to us - the guy is clearly a fan favourite judging by the Norwich fan reactions. If this was the case, he'd end up being one of our most expensive signings under Lambert so far. He'd also be the oldest player Lambert has signed for us, the only player over 30 that Lambert has signed for us and also the only player Lambert has signed for us from another Premier League team.

The only thing that does add up is the fact that Lambert signed him for Norwich, but then you always see teams linked to players that their manager used to manage at previous clubs.

• Like 1

i think Hoolahan will surprise a lot of people. Do remember that we are (Warning: harsh truth) a terrible side and we can't expect to sign even marginally great players. But Hoolahan knows what he is doing, he is experienced and he has a lot more quality than ALL of our other midfielders bar Delph.

He will be excellent for us until we are in a position where we can sign a higher class of player. People who talk about Kiyotake (a name I'm sick of hearing) etc really are dreaming.

• Like 1

i think Hoolahan will surprise a lot of people. Do remember that we are (Warning: harsh truth) a terrible side and we can't expect to sign even marginally great players. But Hoolahan knows what he is doing, he is experienced and he has a lot more quality than ALL of our other midfielders bar Delph.

He will be excellent for us until we are in a position where we can sign a higher class of player. People who talk about Kiyotake (a name I'm sick of hearing) etc really are dreaming.

At the start of the season I would have been annoyed with any talk of Hoolahan, mainly because I thought we'd have kicked on from our showing in the second half of last season.

However, as things stand, we need to steady the ship and ensure we don't slip down the table. Hoolahan would help do this, we're lacking creativity and goals - I'm sure he could do a job for us, adding such creativity as well as experience in a very young midfield/team. 

One thing I don't know is if he is a leader, does anybody know if he is 'that sort of player'? The sort of player who will lead the youngsters around him and help them is what I mean.

That said, I still do not think it adds up for Lambert to sign him and if he really wanted to sign him then surely it would have happened already (in a previous window).

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

In his first 2 seasons in the premiership, Hoolahan has scored 7 and has 11 assists in 66 games(50 starts),  Hes contributed to a goal every 260 minutes, meaning he scores or assists a goal once in approx every 3 games.  Get him in.

EXPERIENCED QUALITY PREMIERSHIP PLAYER!

• Like 2

I like the idea i have to say, he seems to have a good energy about his play coupled with a knowledge of where to play the right ball in an attacking sense whenever i've watched him which for me is exactly what we lack in midfield, We have the energy to a point with Delph but to me it is of the "headless chicken going backwards" variety. As for the others it's like having a team of Ray Wilkins's who only know how to pass sideways and backwards.

Coupled with this all the coaching staff and Lambert will know him inside out so will immediately know what he can offer and where to fit him in straight away which is essential if he is to come in midway through the season... So perfect for where we are now in my opinion.

I'm sure he was Norwich captain at some point (but I might be wrong).

EDIT: Indeed he has.

Hoolahan led the Norwich team out as captain for their first Premier League win of the season, where they beat Bolton Wanderers 2–1 away on 17 September 2011, being given the armband ahead of the previous season's regular vice-captain Russell Martin, who was also in the team.[

Edited by StefanAVFC

I hate this "he's cheap enough, what's to lose " debating point. Please see KEA, Tonev, Luna, Bennett, Bowery. All cheap, all shit. We could have had 1 possibly 2 decent players instead. Quality not quantity.

We could have had Curtis Davies for an extra 3 million..

Or.. As a treat, we could have had Marlon Harewood and Nicky Shorey.

Whatever happens, I just hope it happens soon. I still fear that Norwich might attempt drag it out until later in the window just to spite us.

Edited by Isa

Whatever happens, I just hope it happens soon. I still fear that Norwich might attempt drag it out until later in the window just to spite us.

If that was the case I'd hope that we would just move on to another target. As I said before, if Lambert REALLY wanted him, he surely would have bought him in a previous window.

We need at least one signing in before Arsenal, I'd hope that we would make more signings after that also.

Makes no odds if they do really with Arsenal & the Scousers up next it's surely two defeats either way... In fact it may even be beneficial if they hold things up as if he arrives and we lose two on the trot it could destroy all of the feel good factor he may bring with him.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

He would only be an option for us in home games. Does not have the speed or physical attributes to offer us much in away games unless we plan on setting up differently.

He is far from a world beater and has only had the 2 seasons in the Prem.

He is a good honest player and an example that a player can continue to improve in his late 20's.

Bannan could of learned alot from him as Barry has similar qualities. I can't see Lambert signing him though, unless he has lost faith in his scouting network.

Edited by Villastine

Ah so you can't find a player since you're not paid by the club but can rightly judge WH because you've seen him.

Gotcha. ;)

If our budget is genuinely 1.5 mil for this window someone need to assassinate Lerner…. i mean ermmmmm.

Â