Wes Hoolahan

LockStockVilla

Bit underwhelmed by this one, might do o.k short term like Keano (who in fairness I didn't want either) but I'd prefer someone younger as the number 10 to build a team around for a year or two.

I'm still hopeful from what HH said that of the two players Hoolahan is the one we all know and the other Lambert was inquiring about wages and stuff is Defour or another foreign player as I don't see how Lambert would forget how much someone was earning who he was managing 18 months ago and I don't think he's signed another deal since.

Didn't Brendan Rogers leave Swansea with a bit of acrimony and yet they still signed Joe Allen a few weeks later?

I'm sure that will be the case but I'm guessing lambert just wants an experienced cool head on the pitch for some leadership. I'd like to see him come in and possibly a young CAM to follower. Even if hoolahan doesn't play he can pass on his experience which definitely won't hurt!

Bit underwhelmed by this one, might do o.k short term like Keano (who in fairness I didn't want either) but I'd prefer someone younger as the number 10 to build a team around for a year or two.

I'm still hopeful from what HH said that of the two players Hoolahan is the one we all know and the other Lambert was inquiring about wages and stuff is Defour or another foreign player as I don't see how Lambert would forget how much someone was earning who he was managing 18 months ago and I don't think he's signed another deal since.

Didn't Brendan Rogers leave Swansea with a bit of acrimony and yet they still signed Joe Allen a few weeks later?

Think they added a few million on mind you - Liverpool didn't exactly get great value in that purchase IMHO.

If we did sign Hoolahan, I think he would be a very good player for us.

In order for him to have an impact;

1. Gabby or Luna would have to run past the opposition full back, so Hoolahan can play them in behind, creating a crossing opportunities.

2. Benteke has to be ready for 1-2s, and be willing to run into space behind the defence with timed runs.

3. Delph would have to stay close to him for quick passes.

If the above happens, I can see Hoolahan getting a few assists and overall creation of chances per game could be decent.

• Like 1

I'm sure that will be the case but I'm guessing lambert just wants an experienced cool head on the pitch for some leadership. I'd like to see him come in and possibly a young CAM to follower. Even if hoolahan doesn't play he can pass on his experience which definitely won't hurt!

This has to be our priority with all of our signings this window. No matter how good they are 20-21-year-olds can't offer anything when they're too nervous to even want the ball as most of our squad seems to be and any new signing of that ilk is likely to become. We need the likes of Hoolahan and a couple of other experienced heads to talk them through.

• Like 1

I thought he looked really good against us at VP a couple of years ago when playing under Lambert and thought back then that he could do a good job for us. He had it in him to make things happen up front and to hit telling balls forward. But £1.5m would seem a low price given they will be reluctant to sell to us. The questions for me would be can he still do what he could do back then in his 30s under his old boss and does his current ex-nose manager not play him because he does not track back as much as he would like or because his performances are not what they once were? For me £1.5m would be a risk worth taking although I worry whether that would blow our entire transfer window budget....     

can pass the ball and would walk into our midfield but he is pushing 32 so dont think thats the Lambert approach

He has back-tracked on his original premise though. Clearly even he doesn't believe in the 'young and hungry' project anymore so why should we?

can pass the ball and would walk into our midfield but he is pushing 32 so dont think thats the Lambert approach

He has back-tracked on his original premise though. Clearly even he doesn't believe in the 'young and hungry' project anymore so why should we?

I think he probably does still think along his original lines, but realises the side is lacking an experienced head or two. No surprise to me that he would return to what he knows.

Can understand why people are a little ubderwhelmed by this but I actually think Hoolahan is a pretty good player.

Not a massive signing by any means but I certainly don't think he'd be a bad one

• Like 1

I think he probably does still think along his original lines, but realises the side is lacking an experienced head or two. No surprise to me that he would return to what he knows.

But rewind to when he stayed up last season and he was very triumphant about 'sticking to his guns' and not 'caving into the pressure' of buying experience. His admission that experience is needed has completely undermimed any credibility he may have had.

• Like 1

But rewind to when he stayed up last season and he was very triumphant about 'sticking to his guns' and not 'caving into the pressure' of buying experience. His admission that experience is needed has completely undermimed any credibility he may have had.

Its really a lose lose situation he's in with some people isn't it?

I mean, im not happy with Lambert regarding the last couple of months, its not been good enough.

But if he was still sticking to his guns and buying young inexperienced players, people like you would be moaning that he needs to buy experience.

But he's apparently realised he needs an experienced head or two and you're still moaning, even though he's now doing what you wanted.

Is there anyone he could buy this window that would actually make you happy?

• Like 4

Its really a lose lose situation he's in with some people isn't it?

I mean, im not happy with Lambert regarding the last couple of months, its not been good enough.

But if he was still sticking to his guns and buying young inexperienced players, people like you would be moaning that he needs to buy experience.

But he's apparently realised he needs an experienced head or two and you're still moaning, even though he's now doing what you wanted.

Is there anyone he could buy this window that would actually make you happy?

Not continue to talk about the 'project' when he has now effectively diverged from it's core prinicple perhaps?

Whine that we need experience and then when we try to get it whine that he's completely caved and lost credibility. Bravo.

Good job I was never one of those clamouring for experience then. But slander away...

Â