Ashley Young (Man Utd)

Villan4Life

I know beggars can't be choosers and we are finding ourselves at the bottom of the food chain, but can't stand this blokes attitude.

Comes across as a smug wee shit. He's now become the figure head for the 'not good enough to play for Manchester utd' brigade at Old Trafford.

When has he ever come across as a "smug wee shit"? I don't ever remember him being a big time Charlie at Villa either. He was a damn good player at Villa who always gave his best for the team. I'd love to see him back but players as good as Young demand Premier League wages, which rules us put as Lerner has built a pitifully weak squad on YTS wages. No wonder we're so shit.

When he used to ponce around in the hole with his snood on.

Post open to interpretation.

I wonder what his legacy is going to be? If he'd never have cheated against us we'd still love him the way we love Jimmy because there were no hard feelings really when Young left. But instead he is hated by all and sundry, Watford, United and Villa fans alike.

What a pillock. Downing, Young and Milner all really should have stayed with Villa for their own sakes. The only one who has kept any respect that the footballing world had for them is Gareth Barry.

Downing screwed up when he left us, his Liverpool-career accompanied with injuries ruined his career basically.

However, all of the other three (including Barry) have enjoyed better careers since. All have won trophies, played in the Champions League and last but not least, played for institutions with great players every day. Milner and Young haven't been first picks at their respective clubs, but they both knew that when they left and they have all contributed to the clubs' success no doubt. Do you think they miss playing with Baker, Clark and Gabby when they can train with David Silva, Robin van Persie, Wayne Rooney and Sergio Agüero?

I was sad when all of these players left our club, but I don't really blame any of them for the chance they took. Sure Downing blew it, alongside injuries taking its toll, but he could have regretted staying here for the rest of his life. At Villa, in this day and age, you will not win a single thing and they knew that very well.

• Like 1

I wonder what his legacy is going to be? If he'd never have cheated against us we'd still love him the way we love Jimmy because there were no hard feelings really when Young left. But instead he is hated by all and sundry, Watford, United and Villa fans alike.

What a pillock. Downing, Young and Milner all really should have stayed with Villa for their own sakes. The only one who has kept any respect that the footballing world had for them is Gareth Barry.

I would have Barry and Milner back at VP like a shot. Young for me now is no different to what he was when he was with us, a diving, cheating, moaning waste of space.

I get your points. I guess I was gauging it with the respect they had in the football community. When we were good and had a strong English side, Young, Milner, Downing and Barry were highly praised by others. Then they left Villa and yes they won medals but they're now forgotten about by everyone else as they drown in their new massive ponds.

So yeah they've certainly had great personal success but I think they all could have been a lot more to some fans. Now they're all kind of nothing to everyone.

• Like 1

He's still a decent player who gets a lot of unjustified stick for England because he's used in a utility role and can on occasions shank crosses and passes. I think he has better technique than people realise but needs to play consistently in the centre to show it, last time he did that was when MON (to his credit) moved him into midfield halfway through 2009-10 and we had a 20m player on our hands 6 months later.

The thing is say he'd moved to Man. United in 2010, I think he'd have done well there considering how poor their central midfield has been over the last few years. I'm pretty sure Fergie would've had Carrick in the Petrov role and told Milner to do the rest, 6 months of watching him here indicate to me he would've been far more effective than Cleverley or Anderson.

I'm surprised Man. United never showed an interest in him back then, from memory Man. City were the only club willing to pay our asking price?

You are basing everything on a good period at Aston Villa though. And that lasted for what? 6 months? A year? That proves very little IMO. We could have described Benteke as a world-beater had he been sold in July, but thus far we have seen why those titles seldom should be rewarded after one season. If James Milner was the player you describe, then he would have been playing in that position right now. It's not like he doesn't have the opportunity to show it in training. Besides, those teams will always have need for exceptional talents in their central midfield, and other great players are shifted over to the side. Look at Shinji Kagawa at Man Utd, who is for the time being playing at left wing to accommodate other players. James Milner, no offense to him, is a workhorse and he has been for large parts of his career. It's not like the Lampard-style vanished just because he didn't play for the right club, his natural style would always show itself in the end.

The thing that people are forgetting about him also is that every week for us he was pretty much the hardest working player on the pitch. He did a tremendous amount of tracking back in a period where we had rubbish full backs but he was still the first forward for a counter attack.

I think he lost that aspect of his game when Houllier took over and started playing him in the hole and that pattern has carried into his United career.

I think if he was shipped out from United it would be a chastening experience for him and he would work his arse off to prove people wrong like he did when he was told he wouldn't make it at Walford. The next Club to acquire his services would reap the benefits.

I still think he's a word removed for diving though.

• Like 2

I'd have Barry or Milner back but not Young.

He played like awfully for his final 6 or 7 months and became an arse on the pitch. Throwing his arms around when a pass wasn't exactly where he wanted it. I've loved watching him fail at Utd.

He is too old for our buy young sell at a profit policy. He would want more than we are prepared to pay. The only way this could happen is if it was done on a loan basis with them picking up a fair proportion of his wages. But we had the opportunity to do this with Barry and did not so I think this will have the same end result.