Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

samjp26

I work for these, so could really do with a performance to prevent a week (added to god knows how many years) of torment. They usually love coming to Villa Park, but it was all a bit sheepish on the OT Christmas do last week, only one Cockney Red giving me stick!

Let's end the run, 3-1 Villa and an atmosphere to kick on with our home form!

• Like 1

The bbc preview on the website makes me laugh.

'Scoring goals continues to be a problem and it goes without saying that Christian Benteke's second season is proving to be a major disappointment so far.'

Its December. He was injured and is getting back to fitness. I don't think the first 5 games was a major disappointment. Drivel.

'The Belgian has gone more than 10 and a half hours without a goal, but is still Villa's top scorer with four. That alone speaks volumes.'

It speakes volume that our key player form last year who is struggling a bit and we are still mid table. That our midfield is now scoring goals. That we have scored more goals than Tottenham and  conceded less goals than United this season. But hey lets just have  a go at Villa because they are not important. Shove this down their throats, come on the Villa!

Exactly. We've actually had a pretty decent spread of goals this season - Kozak with 3, Benteke with 4, Gabby and Weimann with 1, KEA with 2, Westwood and Delph with 1, Bacuna with 2.

It's pathetic because last season all they went on about was how we were overly reliant on Benteke for goals. words removed the lot of them.

Exactly. Benteke having a great season last year didn't exactly make it a vintage season for us. It is vital for our midfield and defence to keep on chipping in with a a few goals.

The bbc preview on the website makes me laugh.

'Scoring goals continues to be a problem and it goes without saying that Christian Benteke's second season is proving to be a major disappointment so far.'

Its December. He was injured and is getting back to fitness. I don't think the first 5 games was a major disappointment. Drivel.

'The Belgian has gone more than 10 and a half hours without a goal, but is still Villa's top scorer with four. That alone speaks volumes.'

It speakes volume that our key player form last year who is struggling a bit and we are still mid table. That our midfield is now scoring goals. That we have scored more goals than Tottenham and  conceded less goals than United this season. But hey lets just have  a go at Villa because they are not important. Shove this down their throats, come on the Villa!

Exactly. We've actually had a pretty decent spread of goals this season - Kozak with 3, Benteke with 4, Gabby and Weimann with 1, KEA with 2, Westwood and Delph with 1, Bacuna with 2.

It's pathetic because last season all they went on about was how we were overly reliant on Benteke for goals. words removed the lot of them.

Exactly. Benteke having a great season last year didn't exactly make it a vintage season for us. It is vital for our midfield and defence to keep on chipping in with a a few goals.

We are doin fine without bein spanked or goin on a excellent run

Does anyone think Lambert is actually happy with our recent performances (as per his usual post match interviews-can't fault the lads, etc). I hope he's just doing it to deflect from the poor performances. Fingers crossed the crowd will give the lads a boost tomorrow and they actually give a good account of themselves. We'll badly miss vlaar and Delph for this. I really want a victory here!

Does anyone think Lambert is actually happy with our recent performances (as per his usual post match interviews-can't fault the lads, etc). I hope he's just doing it to deflect from the poor performances. Fingers crossed the crowd will give the lads a boost tomorrow and they actually give a good account of themselves. We'll badly miss vlaar and Delph for this. I really want a victory here!

No I don't think he is happy, he'll be happy with results of course but I am sure he'll be telling players what they've done wrong or badly. Vlaar recently had an interview where he discussed the matter, saying how Lambert always protects the young players in this post-match interviews instead of slating them, he tells them behind closed doors what he thinks and such.

Best way in my opinion.

No I don't think he is happy, he'll be happy with results of course but I am sure he'll be telling players what they've done wrong or badly. Vlaar recently had an interview where he discussed the matter, saying how Lambert always protects the young players in this post-match interviews instead of slating them, he tells them behind closed doors what he thinks and such.

Best way in my opinion.

It is, but people on here want him to specifically list all the mistakes he made the previous match and say what players were poor etc. it's crazy.

If HairyHands is in the vicinity...

If Westwood must persist with set piece deliveries, is there any chance of the ball being whipped into the box with pace, rather than simply floated in to obscurity?

A disproportionate amount of corners and free kicks (when not going straight for goal) have amounted to nothing, yet the execution remains the same.

Westwood isn't persisting with it hes told to float them in by Lambert and following orders. We have very tall players in Benteke, Kozak and Baker so if we float it and they have a run and jump they will get there. 

Oh I'm sure it's not Westwood acting on his own behalf.  I'm just stating that nearly all our deliveries are like this and it has proven to be ineffective thus far.

I'm also sure the opposition are aware a floated ball will be coming in so can plan around this, so maybe mixing it up with some balls whipped in with pace may be in order.

Yes I agree, it doesn't seem to work too much this season. We could do with getting Martin Laursen in to teach this kids how to attack the ball, he was one of the best at it.

Tonev took some decent corners pre season but I really dont understand why Bacuna isn't on them if we do decide to whip it in. I think they are harder to defend if the delivery is right.

Last time I woke up early to watch the team I was supporting play Man U, Rovers beat United 3-2 at Old Trafford on New Years Eve in what remains the most amazing, unlikely, and entertaining sports game I've ever watched. (Though the entertains part is probably because I'm a Rovers fan) I still remember at the end of the first half when all the Blackburn players were so tired no one got up to support Rochina so he tried to go l 1 on 6, and Ian Darke said a great line "it's Rochina V Manchester United here."

Because of this, clearly Villa will pull a win 3-2 not just from 3 shots, but from just 3 or 4 attacks as well. Only Benteke will play the role of Yakubu (brace) and Weimann will play the role of MGP (blond haired winger who lost all footballing ability overnight)

Edited by Rovers13
  • Like 1

Although I think we will get heavily beaten today no matter what, if Lambert sets us up to counter attack then I will be fuming

Reasons being:

Our defence is very weak and will not stand up to the barrage of attacks for 90 minutes

We can't even counter attack effectively at the moment

UTD will be expecting us to counter attack as that has been our only plan so far this season

We don't have Delph who has been an expert at starting the counter attacks driving from midfield

I don't think we need a 5th

I'm not expecting us to try and pass around UTD with the awful passers we have in the team but a slight variation in tactics and at least trying to be on the front foot would be nice

Edited by sonic_bouma

I'd argue that RVP is the only injury that we should be pleased about. The other players wouldn't really be hurting us too much. So I'm not getting excited about their problems because if anything our injury list is worse.

Regardless of their injuries they can still put out a team that contains any of Rooney, Hernandez, Kagawa, Nani, Zaha, Valencia, Januzaj

Who, if they play to their full potential, can all tear us a new arsehole.

Edited by sonic_bouma