What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

This weekend I've felt motivated a little, so I did a few bits. I finished decals on a Gundam model, which was good. Today I said to myself I'm going to sit down with Blender and work on custom figure stuff, but particularly on hard surface things (not the sculpting that I seem to 'get' more).

So I sat down with it, and with some YouTube videos to learn from, I started on something I've been working on for a year or so on and off.

4 hours later I'd banged my head against something for a few hours that seems like it should be massively simple, but isn't. I could work out a basic solution, but with its own issues, and I'll be damned if I can figure out how to resolve it, or even find much resource to help at all.

So now I feel like I've wasted the day.

And now I'm staying e down the barrel of a work week which I'm dreading.

And I still feel shit.

• Sad 1

On 03/01/2021 at 19:06, Chindie said:

This weekend I've felt motivated a little, so I did a few bits. I finished decals on a Gundam model, which was good. Today I said to myself I'm going to sit down with Blender and work on custom figure stuff, but particularly on hard surface things (not the sculpting that I seem to 'get' more).

So I sat down with it, and with some YouTube videos to learn from, I started on something I've been working on for a year or so on and off.

4 hours later I'd banged my head against something for a few hours that seems like it should be massively simple, but isn't. I could work out a basic solution, but with its own issues, and I'll be damned if I can figure out how to resolve it, or even find much resource to help at all.

So now I feel like I've wasted the day.

And now I'm staying e down the barrel of a work week which I'm dreading.

And I still feel shit.

I tend to feel like that after a full day of trying to integrate things like Dropbox and Mailchimp, which most people would consider to be a piece of piss.  Looking forward to achievement and then not getting there is a proper kick in the balls.

On a separate note, even though last night's announcement wasn't a surprise it's really knocked the wind out of my sails.  I've got a load of work to do with pressing deadlines, but I'm stressed about homeschooling my daughter who missed out on so much education in 2020.  She's only 5 and a bit so can't sit and do the work on her own - she needs us with her to read and check everything.  I enjoy it but, a) she doesn't want to do it and b) time is at an absolute premium.

I just feel kinda trapped in an impossible situation.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I tend to feel like that after a full day of trying to integrate things like Dropbox and Mailchimp, which most people would consider to be a piece of piss.  Looking forward to achievement and then not getting there is a proper kick in the balls.

On a separate note, even though last night's announcement wasn't a surprise it's really knocked the wind out of my sails.  I've got a load of work to do with pressing deadlines, but I'm stressed about homeschooling my daughter who missed out on so much education in 2020.  She's only 5 and a bit so can't sit and do the work on her own - she needs us with her to read and check everything.  I enjoy it but, a) she doesn't want to do it and b) time is at an absolute premium.

I just feel kinda trapped in an impossible situation.

My wife has been exactly the same today mate. She struggles at times with mental health and the announcement caused her anxiety , and it’s overwhelmed her today. Happened last lockdown, too.  Just the pressure of trying to do right by your kids and home teach them was a bit much for her. It’s not easy is it, whether it’s one kid or 3 kids like we have.  I’ll be honest mate, I tried helping out last lockdown when I weren’t working and I hated trying to home teach them. No patience and I’m thick as **** anyway . 

• Like 1

On 01/01/2021 at 11:19, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Telling someone with depression to stop worrying about things is like telling someone with a broken leg to just ignore the pain and go out for a run.  Most people with depression (including me) lived-in it for years before seeking help.  

This is a terribly difficult time for a lot of people with mental illnesses.  They really appreciate your support. But if you could solve their problems really easily you would be one of the biggest medical geniuses ever.  

May I suggest instead of telling her to stop worrying, ask her what you can do to help her stop worrying.  

I’m absolutely not telling her to stop worrying, it’s just how I cope. 

weve been together a long time and she has had these problems the whole time. A lot of ups and downs. I know she needs support.

I’m very honest of my ability to understand having never experienced it myself. I genuinely can’t comprehend it.

I wasn't being critical @Nicho

Living with mental illness can be hard. Living with someone can be hard. Living with someone with a mental illness is 5 times worse.  

Its easy to think that what works for you should work for her. Sadly that is rarely true.  The whole point I was making was that you shouldn't expect a quick fix.  

It can be difficult to understand if you have never experienced it.  If you have any questions you are very welcome to ask it here or send me a private message.  

• Like 3

Not sure where to put this, but this threads seems as relevant as any others. 

Had a zoom call with my boss earlier this week... year end review etc. All good, then I get told that we're unlikely to be returning to the office in 2021, if ever! Not confirmed yet, just a gut feeling through the management in my area. Group are currently reviewing all real estate and will probably allow a lot of leases to expire and consolidate into 1 or 2 main offices in each city. People may then get moved to home working contracts and that'll be it. No need to head into an office ever again! Aside from the odd team meeting. 

Not sure how that makes me feel! Its been 9 months since i've seen some colleagues face to face. 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Had a zoom call with my boss earlier this week... year end review etc. All good, then I get told that we're unlikely to be returning to the office in 2021, if ever! Not confirmed yet, just a gut feeling through the management in my area. Group are currently reviewing all real estate and will probably allow a lot of leases to expire and consolidate into 1 or 2 main offices in each city. People may then get moved to home working contracts and that'll be it. No need to head into an office ever again! Aside from the odd team meeting. 

Not sure how that makes me feel! Its been 9 months since i've seen some colleagues face to face. 

Mixed feelings for me on that. I love the fact I can sit in my pants working  from home but i miss the craic with (some of) my colleagues - others i cant effing stand. 

I dunno Alex......pro vs con situation really.  What matter more to you ? Lack of social interaction ? Lack of travelling time ?  Hopefully they will still have meet ups so you can catch up and i guess you might have the chance to arrange such meetings ? What is your company's approach to mental health ? Pay it lip service or do they mean what they say about caring for employees' welfare ?

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Mixed feelings for me on that. I love the fact I can sit in my pants working  from home but i miss the craic with (some of) my colleagues - others i cant effing stand. 

I dunno Alex......pro vs con situation really.  What matter more to you ? Lack of social interaction ? Lack of travelling time ?  Hopefully they will still have meet ups so you can catch up and i guess you might have the chance to arrange such meetings ? What is your company's approach to mental health ? Pay it lip service or do they mean what they say about caring for employees' welfare ?

There are massive advantages to WFH but I guess combined with the lockdown and living alone means I'm barely seeing people. Once lockdown is over i'm sure it will improve as I will be able to meet people for lunches during the week or for a few beers after work and be able to meet up with my closest mates, the lads who i've been all over the world with. We haven't all been together since late 2019! 

My company is ok on wellbeing, I think, or they certainly make the right noises on the internal emails. Whether it actually pans out like that, who knows?! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Xela said:

It’s weird isn’t it, I like being at home and especially not having an hr commute. But at times I want to see someone, and interact outside of a phone 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Tell you what, this month has actually got me struggling. I don’t want to cover any illness much, but I’ve had so many panic attacks since, and I’m still not 100%, but I keep waking up in the night convinced I can’t breathe - I can, it’s fine, but I can’t help it.

I had to go back to work today, by choice, as sitting around feeling shit and trying to feel better wasn’t working, I needed to be active.

Feel like crap 

• Sad 4

Enjoyed listening to this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0958dyt

Harnessing the power of the conscious mind and calming our inner chatter. Ethan Kross is an award winning psychologist and neuroscientist. His fascinating new book is called "Chatter: The Voice in our head, why it matters and how to harness it." Chatter happens when the voice in our head starts spinning out of control. After going through an acute episode of chatter himself, Ethan experienced a eureka moment. He discovered a simple but powerful technique that can help wrestle back control of the inner voice when it starts going haywire. In this episode, he also explains the huge effect this pandemic can have on our internal chatter, and what we can do about it. Ethan talks about the power of nature and "awe", and finally explains why tennis great Rafa Nadal is so meticulous when it comes to his pre-point routines and lining up his bottles "just so" at the change of ends.

• 2 weeks later...

Old, however relevant.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/psychologically-minded/201711/selling-bad-therapy-trauma-victims?fbclid=IwAR3FQMD3seXvGqKxitzi0XQGO41E2lmLqTfgETsu-93h_JeYInAh7b-c02s

Posted Nov 19, 2017

Selling Bad Therapy to Trauma Victims

Patients and therapists should ignore new guidelines for treating trauma.

The American Psychological Association (APA) just issued guidelines for treating trauma. Patients and therapists would be wise to ignore them.

The guidelines are supposed to reflect the best scientific evidence. In fact, they ignore all scientific evidence except one kind of study, called a randomized controlled trial (RCT).

RCTs randomly assign people to treatment or control groups. They can answer certain questions (Is a medication more effective than a sugar pill?) and not others (How does the medication work? What causes the disease?). In the absence of careful scientific reasoning, RCTs can lead to foolish conclusions.

Incoming rambling mess.

I'm struggling at the moment. Everything is bollocks.

Work is shit. We got a ludicrous target to hit this year, one of those where they may as well have just given us a lower target and said you ain't getting a bonus next year. In turn there's a load of changes going on which are basically shifting the job into something different, some elements of which I have concerns about. As part of this everyone seems to have little extra bits and projects to do. But not me. Which is wonderful for your self esteem. I feel like I've been stuck in the corner with a pat on the head to do the idiot work while the people we trust are doing the important stuff as well as their own share of what I'm doing. I've not actually spoken to any colleagues outside of forwarding calls or directly discussing pieces of work in a month. My confidence is shot and I've no certainty about myself anyway so being left on my tod in virtual dunce corner is wonderful.

In my personal life, I'm coming up on a year since me and the girlfriend have spent any time together. The house is a shit tip which still has tonnes of work to be done, but a combination of simply not being arsed together with not really having the money to seriously get stuff moving again means it's mostly in limbo. I'm also a complete state, having become a fat word removed over the past year but my motivation to do anything about it is nil, if not actively self destructive - I'll tell myself I'm going to be good in this way or that and have absolute commitment to it, and then that just collapses because I just can't be bothered, or I feel so shit mentally there's no motivation there. I've basically descended into self neglect.

In my leisure time I've got a list longer than your arm of little projects I've started or got plans for. I've got numerous 3d modelling projects but I just bang my head against them until the enthusiasm dies. Tonight I sat down having finally got motivated again to do something that seems comparatively simple, but nope, immediately hit trouble and there's no tutorials out there that address the specific things I'm having issues with and then I realise I've been sat at that desk since 8.30am this morning and aside from a break for lunch and dinner it's now 9 and I'm still say at this desk and I'm no further along or fulfilled out satisfied than I was to begin with. And I can't motivate myself to sit and absorb courses to learn these programs by doing things I've no interest in teaching me things I'm not going to need or use just to get to the bits I will need.

Something needs to change because I'm really not sure what I'm getting out of life at the moment.

• Sad 3

26 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Didnt know where to say this

I have a brain tumour, it's slow growing in the right side of my brain, found out in December after MRI scans looking at my tremor in my hands

Depression is something I've had and dealt with in the past, but being told I have something in my brain has ruined me 

Jesus mate, so sorry to hear that, are you undergoing treatment?

Â