What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Hi mate,

I choose to do it tough without medication but that is just my choice and I wouldn't want to advocate either way. 

I don't feel right giving advice on whether to take medication or not just based on your post.

If you want to chat with someone feel free to message me, but either way hang in there. These are tough times and all of us that suffer with mental illness are being pushed even further than normal.

Thanks mate. I appreciate the post. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

My negative and dark thoughts have been really getting to me lately, especially in the mornings where it’s quite extreme. So decided to return to medication for last 2 days as it’s always helped me in the past. It’s really hit me for 6. I know it’s like this for first few days but it’s really affecting my work and home life even more. Now I don’t know what to do.  Do I persist and put life on hold for a week or two whilst I get past the side affects or do I just stop them again and try and continue without. 

My partner wants me to stop taking them again and try and do without as I’ve managed without for 3-4 months now. But it’s been a horrible 3-4 months mentally!  I wish I could hide away. 

Exercise helps but it’s so hard to find motivation and energy. 

I am in no way qualified to advise you. But I have been on medication for nearly 20 years. What is it that makes you want to come off medication if you need it?  Is it side effects?  Or is it a stigma of being on medication. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I am in no way qualified to advise you. But I have been on medication for nearly 20 years. What is it that makes you want to come off medication if you need it?  Is it side effects?  Or is it a stigma of being on medication. 

I guess it’s the side effects, the stigma and the concern of long term impact.

Trying to lose dependancy on it. I’ve always told myself one day I don’t need medication and can be fine without it.  So I will have phases where I feel I can stop taking them so I ween off.  Several moths pass and I get in a bad state again and have to restart. This has now been going on over 10 years. 

Which medication do you take if you don’t mind me asking? Happy to discuss on DM if you prefer.

I stopped taking my SSRI med a couple of weeks ago. No withdrawal or any problems.  Until I took one two nights ago by mistake.  It felt like my brain started to clench. Awful sensation.  I'm tossing the bottle.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, maqroll said:

I stopped taking my SSRI med a couple of weeks ago. No withdrawal or any problems.  Until I took one two nights ago by mistake.  It felt like my brain started to clench. Awful sensation.  I'm tossing the bottle.

Easy to forget how difficult the first few weeks can be when start/restart taking them.  I feel exhausted.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

I'm at the stage where aston villa are the only positive in my life, imagine how shit that is

Over the last few months I've overcome some problems with depression and in the last few weeks they have hammered on the door with a sledgehammer, my home life has gone to shit, my wife has told me I'm an arsehole in not so many words and told me to **** off and pack my bags, during that time I had an MRI scan on my brain to find out about my essential tremor and I've had an appointment come back for an extra MRI for a more detailed scan, looking for brain tumours or early onset dementia, MS and Parkinson's, so they've obviously found something on the first scan so I'm shitting myself right now

I broke down in tears last night thinking about how would explain this to my 2 kids whilst at work

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

I'm at the stage where aston villa are the only positive in my life, imagine how shit that is

Over the last few months I've overcome some problems with depression and in the last few weeks they have hammered on the door with a sledgehammer, my home life has gone to shit, my wife has told me I'm an arsehole in not so many words and told me to **** off and pack my bags, during that time I had an MRI scan on my brain to find out about my essential tremor and I've had an appointment come back for an extra MRI for a more detailed scan, looking for brain tumours or early onset dementia, MS and Parkinson's, so they've obviously found something on the first scan so I'm shitting myself right now

I broke down in tears last night thinking about how would explain this to my 2 kids whilst at work

Sorry to hear this mate. I know it’s easier said than done but need to try and keep positive about second scan. 

Wasn’t sure where to post this, but anybody got any tips or relaxation methods for ‘public speaking’. Its my turn to present our monthly conference call to the team (about 30 people) this Friday where we review last months performance. Even though it’s over the phone I’m still bricking it, and it’s pretty much ruined my next couple of nights. Will probably struggle to sleep too! This shit hits me hard man!

@MCU I assume you have a script or a rough idea what you are going to say?  

If so, sit in front the mirror and speak the words out loud. Don’t run it through in your head. Verbalise it. 

Your first try will feel awkward, silly and stressful. You will make mistakes and stumble over your words. But carry on repeating the words out loud.  You’ll get to the stage where it no longer feels so strange and you’ll be more relaxed and make less mistakes. 

Don’t record yourself practicing. We all think our voice is weird and isn’t how we hear it in our own head. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

@MCU I assume you have a script or a rough idea what you are going to say?  

If so, sit in front the mirror and speak the words out loud. Don’t run it through in your head. Verbalise it. 

Your first try will feel awkward, silly and stressful. You will make mistakes and stumble over your words. But carry on repeating the words out loud.  You’ll get to the stage where it no longer feels so strange and you’ll be more relaxed and make less mistakes. 

Don’t record yourself practicing. We all think our voice is weird and isn’t how we hear it in our own head. 

Yeh, basically have to go through a PowerPoint presentation whilst sharing screens.

I’ll give that a go, willing to try anything! Thanks mate.

5 minutes ago, MCU said:

Yeh, basically have to go through a PowerPoint presentation whilst sharing screens.

I’ll give that a go, willing to try anything! Thanks mate.

Have some bullet points written down on paper on the desk so if your mind goes blank you can get back on track somewhere. Also, in PowerPoint you can add notes that only you can see to keep flowing nicely. 
Finally, keep going, if you ask a question to the group it’ll probably go silent so only pause briefly then keep going and avoid an awkward silence.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Genie said:

Have some bullet points written down on paper on the desk so if your mind goes blank you can get back on track somewhere. Also, in PowerPoint you can add notes that only you can see to keep flowing nicely. 
Finally, keep going, if you ask a question to the group it’ll probably go silent so only pause briefly then keep going and avoid an awkward silence.

@MCU

Be careful, you may have to go to full screenshare in powerpoint and not be able to see the presenter view in zoom/bluejeans etc., and lose access to your notes!

Have a notepad with your notes there, in particular with specific numbers or facts. Nobody really expects you to remember those.

Sign-in early to ensure that your sound is ok and don't feel too guilty about killing your camera while doing the presentation. I find little utility in being able to see the speaker as hand gestures etc., are useless given the typical distance form the camera.  

Don't stress too much (easy to say), we're all becoming very used to seeing/doing work via this medium. I've seen loads of talks and it's much more difficult to muck it up in this manner vs in person.

Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

Just now, MCU said:

Well thanks for all your advice! Was totally bricking it but did it and went really well! 

Way to go, mate. You may even get a taste for it! 

• Haha 1

Anyone on or considering medication with regards to their mental health needs to consider this.

It's largely got very little to do with your biology or chemical imbalances in the brain.

Edited by A'Villan

The talk I gave to uni students on the subject of mental health who are on placement for their clinical studies was really well received and a great overall experience. I'm to give another talk in the same setting, different group of students on August 6th. I had been invited to speak at an all girls high school right about now (late July) but that fell through due to the pandemic. My work on the advisory board for mental health at a Melbourne clinic continues and I love it. My work at the Royal Melbourne Hospital's psychiatric ward and the patients there has been put on hold while the pandemic is as it is, still yet to hear back from hospital management whether they approve my remote work to maintain some dialogue with the patients in the ward. I was recommended to head the advisory board for mental health at St; Vincent's hospital a few months back, but I decided not to go for the position. I have been recommended for a position as Consumer Workforce Development Coordinator and have two excellent referees to assist me, and this time I will be putting my hand up to take the job. I was accepted to commence the Bachelor of Psychology and the Bachelor of Social Work, but will postpone both and will undertake a Certificate IV in Mental Health to assist the work I already do and develop my skill set there.

Thank you to everyone who shares their story on here, really. Even if you're lurking and keeping to yourself. We're in this together.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

So my Papou passed away last week, that's my grandfather for anyone who isn't @Demitri_C

Mum found out through a newspaper listing, her own father, who she shared a loving bond with.

She delivered meals to him nearly daily before the nursing home took over, wiped his bottom when he no longer could. Stayed for hours so that the TV wasn't his only company.

And my f**kwit uncle didn't even have the decency to inform her that their Dad had passed away, no invite to the funeral, nothing.

All because she caught him out trying to cut corners and receive an inflated pension rate for my Papou and Yiayia, instead of lodging accurate and whole information.

She told him (as he has been convicted for embezzlement in the past) you can do that with your own time and money, but not our parents.

He told my Mum, "you're a woman, know your place, and you'll see some of the inheretence"

Bad idea, Uncle. Bad, bad idea. 

My Papou's mental health went from sharp and keen and deteriorated into what can only be described as a mind on it's way out. He was 98 after all.

But I saw it myself, it was his realisation that his children were going to fight and cause irreparable damage to the relationship of the family and that sent his health spiraling. 

I am determined to remember the memories that I am so greatly fond of, instead of ruing or lamenting your death or the circumstances surrounding.

Truly, we were blessed to have you in our lives, and I will keep those moments we shared close to my heart, and they will keep me company when I need call upon them.

RIP Byron Petselis, my loving and charming Papou.

Rest in peace to your papou mate. Didnt even know you were greek. With all due respect your uncle sounds a right douche. Unfortunately times like thia brings out the worst in people.

I have had friends who have gine through similar experiences to yours. Ita very sad.

Hope your yiayia is coping ok.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've liked it, not for the fact you are splitting up, but that you seem positive about the future. Keep your chin up mate. 👍

• Like 1

Â