What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

On 04/04/2021 at 07:11, Mandy Lifeboats said:

They increase my levels of serotonin.  I have no idea how it works but if you Google  “SSRI” there is ample information that I struggle to understand.  

I'm glad that the SSRI you take has worked for you and that improved levels of serotonin have improved your situation but the chemical imbalance trope really should have been put to bed some considerable time ago.

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

I'm glad that the SSRI you take has worked for you and that improved levels of serotonin have improved your situation but the chemical imbalance trope really should have been put to bed some considerable time ago.

I thought my description was sufficient for a Off Topic discussion on a Football Forum. Of ourse, its not that simple. 

Its actually caused by the chips in our brains which are placed there by the Uluminati  when we have our MMR vaccinations. 

Its a pleasure to set the record straight.  

53 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I thought my description was sufficient for a Off Topic discussion on a Football Forum. Of ourse, its not that simple.

Except it is too often suggested that it is 'that simple'. :rolleyes:

I'll ignore the other crap. :D

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

Anyone else sort of like donning a mask when out in public? 

We only need to wear them in shops here, so as soon as I'm outside I whip it off. I hate them. I'll wear them because its the right thing to do, but it makes me feel uncomfortable. 

In the fresh air though, no mask. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

Anyone else sort of like donning a mask when out in public? 

Metaphorically yes. Been doing it for decades as it keeps me sane.

Physically no as my lips are probably my sexiest feature.

As an aside I haven't wore a mask once in the last year . I genuinely have been using the free scarf we got from the Arsenal Cup final as it's more comfy and the shopkeeper doesn't seem to object.

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

Global suicide numbers must've skyrocketed over the last year. Grim.

Thankfully, the data seems to indicate that this is a widely-accepted misconception.  It'd be better if it weren't a widely-accepted misconception, but we are where we are...

From the earliest days of the pandemic there was concern that suicide would increase. It wasn’t hard to see where the risks might come from: anxiety about infection, isolation, disrupted care, domestic violence, alcohol, recession. Actual figures, though, took months to appear. Now we have reports from several countries, based on national or state level suicide data. They come from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Sweden, and the US—high income countries in most cases—and they carry a consistent message. Suicide rates have not risen.

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n834

• Like 2

I wonder if lockdown may have actually helped people that suffer from anxiety. I may be totally off the mark but I’ve found that I haven’t been as anxious over the past year being able to wfh and also not having to attend any social gathering. I know it’s not healthy and anxiety may be even worse once lockdown lifted but I wonder if other people have felt the same. 

• Like 2

My GP sent out a text to everyone today encouraging people to book an appointment if you’re feeling low, anxious or depressed, along with their phone number and a link to their online booking form.

Fortunately, it’s not something I’ve ever had to really consider, but I think it’s a really good thing to do.

I’ve had a couple of appointments in the past with physical issues where the doctor has made me feel like I’m wasting their time and have been quite dismissive. Based on that, I imagine I would be quite hesitant to seek help with my mental health if I ever needed it, but I’d imagine/hope that text might have encouraged a few people to take that step.

I dunno, just my thoughts :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Having my driving license revoked has hit me harder than being told I have a brain tumour today

I've had my 2 kids and it would've been nice to take them out now the zoo and safari park are open

I'm very up and down at the moment, at my best I'm happy to have 2 amazing kids, at my worst I'm depressed that I have this tumour that is taking them away.

Jeez, hang in there.

• Like 1

Â