What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

23 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I've been listening to this while working this afternoon.

2 takeaways immediately -

Rob doesn't sound anything like I thought.

It's a bloody good listen.

As someone who is, mentally, a **** basketcase who goes to pains to hide and avoid it, to the severe detriment of my life, it's good to hear someone who is very open about their struggles despite being at the top of their game.

Thanks mate.  I appreciate that.  The whole purpose of my involvement was to do exactly that - we're not built to be bulletproof.

Do I sound more Brummie than you thought? That's the usual grief I get on here!

12 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Thanks mate.  I appreciate that.  The whole purpose of my involvement was to do exactly that - we're not built to be bulletproof.

Do I sound more Brummie than you thought? That's the usual grief I get on here!

Definitely more Brummie than I expected. No bad thing. I don't have much of the accent at all, but thankfully I've not inflicted my voice on anyone.

But yes, a good listen, and with a thoroughly worthy intent. Good stuff.

• Thanks 1

My dad is really suffering at the moment. He’s had depression in the past but it’s worse this time. Has no energy at all, doesn’t want to do anything and barely eats. He’s on medication and was back at the doctors today, lithium in his body is too low. Been going on for a while now, o don’t really know what to say him. Just hope he recovers soon. 

On a separate issue, has anyone listened to the Joe Marler podcast? They talk about mental health as Joe himself has suffered a lot. There is an episode recently about Movember and the support for depression. 

15 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

My dad is really suffering at the moment. He’s had depression in the past but it’s worse this time. Has no energy at all, doesn’t want to do anything and barely eats. He’s on medication and was back at the doctors today, lithium in his body is too low. Been going on for a while now, o don’t really know what to say him. Just hope he recovers soon. 

On a separate issue, has anyone listened to the Joe Marler podcast? They talk about mental health as Joe himself has suffered a lot. There is an episode recently about Movember and the support for depression. 

Sorry to hear that. It's hard to know what to say. It's a cruel and incomprehensible thing to go through - personally, and as a support to someone you love.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody had much luck with therapy? Just referred myself to Worcestershire healthy minds after speaking with my GP. She mentioned CBT? Been struggling with anxiety for far too long now and it’s seriously effecting my way of living. I’ve done everything else apart from speak to someone professionally, it’s literally the last straw now. 

I don’t feel depressed. I sleep and eat well, exercise etc. I just get severely anxious over anything and everything. I also get angry really easily and defensive over anything somebody challenges me over. (Not great at work or trying to maintain friendships)

Is this something a therapist can help with or just who I am?

I attended Birmingham Healthy Minds a couple of years ago for CBT due to an extreme anxiety disorder that was/is making me severely depressed and ruining my life.

It didn't massively help me, however it can be very helpful for many people. It sets about challenging your mindset and views, giving you methods and tasks to put things into practice that push those views and ultimately change your mindset hopefully.

My issue wasn't that I didn't buy or understand the techniques it laid out, my mind just wouldn't let me accept them. Even though I absolutely 'got' them.

Go into it positively, and commit to it, there's a decent chance it'll help you.

• Like 2

This might have already been mentioned and I'm probably very late to the party, but...... I've stumbled across an Irish character called Blindboy Boatclub. An artist of sorts... Very engaging chap with some interesting thoughts on mental well-being. He's got the ubiquitous podcast (which I've not listened to yet) and some interesting, funny and weird stuff on YouTube.

He's worth seeking out.

Edited by jimmygreaves

On 27/11/2020 at 20:46, MCU said:

Anybody had much luck with therapy? Just referred myself to Worcestershire healthy minds after speaking with my GP. She mentioned CBT? Been struggling with anxiety for far too long now and it’s seriously effecting my way of living. I’ve done everything else apart from speak to someone professionally, it’s literally the last straw now. 

I don’t feel depressed. I sleep and eat well, exercise etc. I just get severely anxious over anything and everything. I also get angry really easily and defensive over anything somebody challenges me over. (Not great at work or trying to maintain friendships)

Is this something a therapist can help with or just who I am?

CBT sounds like a good option for you, when I did it it was mainly about finding what the roots of my problem were and break them down to put things in perspective.  My anxiety was mainly social/extreme shyness, it took me a couple of goes, both one-to-one and group CBT but my life is a whole lot better for it.  I think you have to go in with an open mind, I know some of the people in my group clearly went in expecting it not to work and quit, which I found a bit sad.

• Like 1

I'm genuinely at the point where my primary reason for not tying a rope around a light fitting is "who would look after my cats".

People are dying, and I get that the pandemic is a huge issue, but the non-death impact of the lockdown seems to be getting almost no attention. How long can we go on like this. We all need to protect the NHS, protect the physiologically vulnerable, but nobody seems to give a shit about people who live alone basically living in solitary confinement for a year. This is torture. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I'm genuinely at the point where my primary reason for not tying a rope around a light fitting is "who would look after my cats".

People are dying, and I get that the pandemic is a huge issue, but the non-death impact of the lockdown seems to be getting almost no attention. How long can we go on like this. We all need to protect the NHS, protect the physiologically vulnerable, but nobody seems to give a shit about people who live alone basically living in solitary confinement for a year. This is torture. 

Hang in there, the politicians will be giving up their pretend to care (we can control the virus nonsense) soon, now that some of the "vaccines" are becoming available.

Don't let those pricks win.

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Why have you put "vaccines" in quotes? 

They are not strictly vaccines in the classical meaning as currently understood, i.e., the mRNA varieties alter a specific protein pathway/immune system and it is unknown how long lasting the effect is. So, technically right now as they are understood, they are more of a treatment. The AZ product is a vaccine as classically understood, but is a number of months behind the other two. It also suffers from longterm efficacy issues.

It is not an "anti-vaxx" thing, just a technical point that I think is important. I didn't make it with any deliberate goal here. I just slip it in here and there as it comes to mind.

On 02/11/2020 at 14:23, Chindie said:

As someone who is, mentally, a **** basketcase who goes to pains to hide and avoid it, to the severe detriment of my life, it's good to hear someone who is very open about their struggles despite being at the top of their game.

Dunno if you've got Sky, but there's a prog on their catchup about Cold War Steve who does something similar (I've not listened to Rob's thing yet) - it's called "Cold War Steve meets the Outside World", and it's him talking about his life, art and depression, but is uplifting too. ANd he wears his Villa Scarf while visiting Cov, which is nice.

Link to video

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, rjw63 said:

How are all you sufferers doing?

I've relapsed myself, it's been a bit of a struggle, but the family have helped.

Hope those who have to suffer alone are OK.

Chin up mate. I for one always enjoy reading your posts, so i hope you can return to better form soon. 

• Like 1

Â