What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

17 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Having my driving license revoked has hit me harder than being told I have a brain tumour today

I've had my 2 kids and it would've been nice to take them out now the zoo and safari park are open

I'm very up and down at the moment, at my best I'm happy to have 2 amazing kids, at my worst I'm depressed that I have this tumour that is taking them away.

Hate to hear this pal😔You and yours in my thoughts.Feel free to PM also if ever need someone to talk too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/04/2021 at 00:02, maqroll said:

Global suicide numbers must've skyrocketed over the last year. Grim.

I read some years back that 84 men in the UK commit suicide every week.

A friend of mine attempted suicide week before last, I had to call around the hospitals to locate him, and once I had I went and saw him the following day. To my relief, he was in the psychiatric ward and seemingly whatever had prompted the ideation and attempt had since passed. During the visit he tells me he is to be released the next day, and he explicitly tells me he wanted to stay on at least a few days longer. Me being me, I was speaking to his allocated nurse almost immediately. Long story short, very disappointed with the service.

I gave a presentation to a seminar of managers from Melbourne Health just this Wednesday, where part of my proposal was based on my own experience of a psychiatric ward years ago, the same ward my friend was staying in. What can I say? What did I say? As politely and diplomatically as I could, without negating the severity of the issue, I told them the service was lacking. When I was admitted to the ward, I was made to share a bedroom, which are cell like, as there wasn't enough beds to accommodate, for someone experiencing mental health issues being bunk buddies with a complete stranger who is also experiencing difficulties, has one on edge to say the least. I left that ward feeling my anxieties were exacerbated, and any medication given was just papering over cracks.

I haven't forgotten about following up on my last post in this thread. It's 2am here currently though so next time.

Until then, VT, take care, be kind to life, which you are undoubtedly belonging to, as that will allow life to be kind to you also.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 2

On 13/04/2021 at 06:41, Jimzk5 said:

Having my driving license revoked has hit me harder than being told I have a brain tumour today

I've had my 2 kids and it would've been nice to take them out now the zoo and safari park are open

I'm very up and down at the moment, at my best I'm happy to have 2 amazing kids, at my worst I'm depressed that I have this tumour that is taking them away.

I hope this doesn't come across as unappreciative as it's easier for me to say than you to embrace, but you will always be with them, always. You belong to their experience and have shaped who they are.

Lamenting it will only pull you away from the eternal love you share, your two amazing kids, have one very special amazing father. Painful as it is, I wish you the strength to ensure your and their experience remains amazing.

My father broke down crying on the phone to me this week, the turmoil and grief from it all was overwhelming him. We discussed his feelings, I as you can probably guess threw my point of view in, and he has since been upbeat and focused.

Forgive me @Jimzk5, I don't know you, but I am feeling for you, that's all I'm trying to say here.

• Like 4

On 25/04/2021 at 08:56, villan-scott said:

I’ve been ashamed and it has taken a toll on my mental health. Sleepless nights worrying about it, I should and do know better but been feeling helpless to do anything about it. The debt prevents us from doing a lot of things as a family. My sister is getting married in Rhodes next year, and as it stands we simply can’t afford to get because of this debt and I refuse to put even more on a card  

I know this is small in comparison to issues discussed in this thread, but it is having a big impact on me and my marriage also. I’m hoping this all goes ahead smoothly as it will transform things for us. 

You have recognised that there is a problem and admitted it to yourself and others.  That’s a big step.   I am no expert on debt matters but many clients tells me that the Money Advice Service is a very good starting point.  0800 138 7777.  It sounds like you are suffering from a short term problem which should hopefully resolve itself as your money problems resolve itself.  I hope that’s the case and it sounds like you are already on the road to recovery.    If you just want to share how you are feeling you can always post on here or drop my a private message.  It might help.  It might not.  But its worth a try.  Almost all of us have some form of mental health problem at some stage in our of life.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/04/2021 at 12:06, Brumerican said:

Thanks to a mental health programme my sister got to help me.

Where have you been then?

Just now, rjw63 said:

Sounds better than Brum to be honest!

Not if you don't know anybody and you're starting life at the bottom again. Without a support network here I'm as good as dead anyway.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Brumerican said:

Not if you don't know anybody and you're starting life at the bottom again. Without a support network here I'm as good as dead anyway.

Fair enough, welcome back in that case :)

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ingram85 said:

Where abouts in Brum you coming back to chap? I always thought you were in that there ‘murica? 

I'm as Brummy as it gets dude. I believe the house share is near the Yenton so practically Wylde Green,  which is basically Sutton so you may as well say 4 Oaks,

• Haha 1

Â