What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Anyone with any experience of coming off SSRI’s for good after years of usage?

Sorry, was only on them for less than a year, 20+ years ago... you have to come off them gradually. You can't/shouldn't do it cold-turkey.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Go slow if you've been on them for a long time. I was on them for about 4 years and quit cold turkey without issues. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Talk to your GP and get a plan.  Last thing you want to do is have a relapse because you've knackered up your internal chemistry.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Talk to your GP and get a plan.  Last thing you want to do is have a relapse because you've knackered up your internal chemistry.

I’ve been off and on for years. This time weened off and been off 3 months now. But feel really low. Every days a battle.  It’s inevitable have to start taking them again. I was just wondering if anyone had experience of coming off them for good without needing them again. But I guess every one is different.  I think it’s a mistake ever taking them in the first place. Should always be last resort. 

I'm on SSRIs. They've helped me absolutely loads. Had CBT and a bit of counselling before and it did absolutely nothing for me. That's not to say they're no good, just that they didn't work for me.
Probably because I don't know what was causing my issues so it wasn't like I could talk about it. There's nothing to talk about.

So the SSRIs have been a godsend. As long as they're not taken willynilly I wouldn't advise people against them

• Like 3

Maybe I just need to accept I have to take them indefinitely.  I always thought it was a case of taking them, getting better and then no longer needing them. Over 10 years later and its still the same cycle. 

I do wonder what the long term affects will be though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I do wonder what the long term affects will be though.

You won't reach old age only to look back and think "I wish I'd carried on taking those tablets instead of wasting the last 30 years being a shell of my true self."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I have been on SSRIs for 20 years.  If you can come off them, that’s great.  But if you need to stay on them, that’s great.  It’s a pill a day for me.  That corrects a chemical imbalance in my brain.  It’s just another medication which we should take if we need it.  

I think we spoke last time I tried to come off them completely. It’s ok for the first month or two. Then slowly  the dark negative thoughts just return and each day becomes more and more miserable. I will start taking them again but I’m not looking forward to the intense tiredness that comes in the first week or two. I contract so try not to let work know I’ve got problems in case it’s cut short.

I probably need to stop doing this to myself. 

38 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we spoke last time I tried to come off them completely. It’s ok for the first month or two. Then slowly  the dark negative thoughts just return and each day becomes more and more miserable. I will start taking them again but I’m not looking forward to the intense tiredness that comes in the first week or two. I contract so try not to let work know I’ve got problems in case it’s cut short.

I probably need to stop doing this to myself. 

I'd just ask myself what I stand to gain from coming off them.

If there are no side-effects after the first couple of weeks and the only concerns are long-term and/or stigma then the former would seem to be a minuscule risk compared to the benefits and the latter can go and **** itself.

Only you have the answers though, my man. We're all here, whatever route you take.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

If there are no side-effects after the first couple of weeks and the only concerns are long-term and/or stigma then the former would seem to be a minuscule risk compared to the benefits and the latter can go and **** itself.

Only you have the answers though, my man. We're all here, whatever route you take.

Thanks mate. Appreciate. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

👏👏👏👏👏

• Like 1

On 01/04/2021 at 14:43, Vive_La_Villa said:

I was on them from 1994 (Aged 14) to 2018 (38) and whilst they never made me happy they did help me sleep.  The only difference now I'm off chemicals is that I suffer for 22 hours a day rather than 16. I also quit drinking at the same time to see if that helped but alas I just go through hell sober now.  

Everybody is different so only you will know what works for you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

I was on them from 1994 (Aged 14) to 2018 (38) and whilst they never made me happy they did help me sleep.  The only difference now I'm off chemicals is that I suffer for 22 hours a day rather than 16. I also quit drinking at the same time to see if that helped but alas I just go through hell sober now.  

Everybody is different so only you will know what works for you.

That’s a long time. Sorry to hear you’re struggling.  Why did you stop?

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s a long time. Sorry to hear you’re struggling.  Why did you stop?

Because I know I can't be "fixed".     I'm not in this for the long haul.

• Sad 1

Â