Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Right lets play a game.

I am Randy Lerner. I have invested £200m+ into Aston Villa. I've paid off 3 managers in 3 seasons, and now (I think) have the manager that suits my agenda. After a horrorshow last season my club is now comfortably sat 10th in the league.

Explain to me why I should invest more money into Aston Villa today.

Well firstly I don't think your past **** ups are relevant reasons as to not to spend now. Also as 'the plan' is to spend what we can afford, we could build on our 10th place, finish higher up in the league and secure more TV revenue. With a world cup coming up in the summer we could find an increase in fees and wage demands of some of our targets and finally it gives players a chance to bed in and allows the team to have a better chance of starting stronger next season.

Ok, let's say you have 10 apples, you give Aston Villa 2 apples. Aston Villa gives those 2 apples to a bunch of average footballers whose wage demands mean you lose a further apple every year unless you sort it out. You then do manage to find someone to sort it out for you, but it takes 2 years. 

How many apples have you got left?

You have certain people (businesses) that turn two apples into three or four. Then you have others that turns them sour and let them go to waste. Who would you spend more apples on?

Right lets play a game.

I am Randy Lerner. I have invested £200m+ into Aston Villa. I've paid off 3 managers in 3 seasons, and now (I think) have the manager that suits my agenda. After a horrorshow last season my club is now comfortably sat 10th in the league.

Well firstly I don't think your past **** ups are relevant reasons as to not to spend now. Also as 'the plan' is to spend what we can afford, we could build on our 10th place, finish higher up in the league and secure more TV revenue. With a world cup coming up in the summer we could find an increase in fees and wage demands of some of our targets and finally it gives players a chance to bed in and allows the team to have a better chance of starting stronger next season.

Of course his past **** ups are relevant! It's not a **** game, it's real money that he has spent. That's money down the drain that he has lost, whether that's his own fault or not is a whole other matter.

So we fans should suffer because the owner made mistakes. Forgive me for not worrying that a billionaire might lose some money.

Spending what you can't afford just to please the fans is an incredibly dangerous road to take.

• Like 3

Right lets play a game.

Ok, let's say you have 10 apples, you give Aston Villa 2 apples. Aston Villa gives those 2 apples to a bunch of average footballers whose wage demands mean you lose a further apple every year unless you sort it out. You then do manage to find someone to sort it out for you, but it takes 2 years.

Are sky TV giving me a load of apples each year?

Yes...but the average footballers are eating them....and the extra apples Randy puts in from his own orchard.

At this point? I thought our apple books were balanced and the lazy Irish apple eater went to stoke to get his fill from now on.

Right lets play a game.

Of course his past **** ups are relevant! It's not a **** game, it's real money that he has spent. That's money down the drain that he has lost, whether that's his own fault or not is a whole other matter.

So we fans should suffer because the owner made mistakes. Forgive me for not worrying that a billionaire might lose some money.

It is that attitude that makes you sound like a spoilt child.

We don't have any right to expect a sugar daddy owner to spend their own money on the club. The money we earn needs to be reinvested (Ellis didn't even manage that) but the extra money Lerner puts in every year on top of that is a bonus, not something to take for granted.

Whilst I do understand your point, no one is forced to own a football club. So expecting an owner, a billionaire at that, to put money in doesn't really sound like a spoilt child attitude to me.

Right lets play a game.

Yes...but the average footballers are eating them....and the extra apples Randy puts in from his own orchard.

At this point? I thought our apple books were balanced and the lazy Irish apple eater went to stoke to get his fill from now on.

Sorry we shoudl probably be talking about these apples in the Lerner thread.

Back on topic, how trustable are Ladbrookes as a source?

Right lets play a game.

That may be the case (I have no idea) but why, having just balanced the apple growth/consumption number.... why would I go out and find another apple eater just to make so I can keep some apple eating enthusiasts happy, putting myself back into apple defecit when I have spent 3 years trying to avoid that exact situation.

Right lets play a game.

It is that attitude that makes you sound like a spoilt child.

We don't have any right to expect a sugar daddy owner to spend their own money on the club. The money we earn needs to be reinvested (Ellis didn't even manage that) but the extra money Lerner puts in every year on top of that is a bonus, not something to take for granted.

Whilst I do understand your point, no one is forced to own a football club. So expecting an owner, a billionaire at that, to put money in doesn't really sound like a spoilt child attitude to me.

But you're also expecting that owner to treat the club like a fan would rather than as a businessman.

If I'm running a football club, have pumped in hundreds of millions and am currently holding on to a loss making entity, I'm not just going to throw more money at it for the reason of "the fans are moaning again".

Â