Weather...

Dodgyknees

• 3 months later...

According to the meteorologist on telly last night the city where I live Karlstad has not had a single hour of sunshine since the 27th November. That's close to reaching Blade Runner levels of gloom.

• Shocked 2

8 hours ago, sne said:

According to the meteorologist on telly last night the city where I live Karlstad has not had a single hour of sunshine since the 27th November. That's close to reaching Blade Runner levels of gloom.

The explanation behind the night black month - Russian weather phenomenon

Since the end of November, the sun has been shining for a total of zero hours over several Swedish cities. It is Karlstad, Visby, Norrköping, Storlien and Stockholm that have not seen the sun throughout December.

Now it seems that the night-black weather can be explained by a Russian weather phenomenon.

The high pressure forms something called an inversion. It is a special weather situation when hot air cannot rise in height in the way it usually does.

- Normally, the temperature drops with altitude when we reach the atmosphere. But when we have an inversion, the temperature drops first but then increases. In that layer you get a lid, says Marie Staerk TT.

The lid keeps moisture and mist away because the sun is not so high in the sky during December, so it can not burn off the clouds.

In addition to being dark and gray, inversions can lead to other problems. In larger cities, it can create smog as the phenomenon means that exhaust fumes and pollutants can remain at ground level.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/PRvEJX/forklaringen-bakom-nattsvarta-manaden--ryskt-vaderfenomen

16 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

December has become November, Part Two. Foggy, wet, dark and muddy. In my mind, it used to be snowy and fun. I’m probably just getting old. 

Yeah, it’s shitty here too. Relatively mild, drizzle, grey.

I’d love a really cold snap. Fresh, blue sky, frost on the ground. 

And yet every single kids' book, film, etc. always shows Santa Claus delivering presents in a snowy winter wonderland. Don't children notice that it practically never snows at Christmas? 

• Like 2

I don’t think I’ve ever seen it snow on Christmas Day, in the 40 years I’ve been alive. I remember it snowing on Boxing Day night but that’s only once. Yet every year people still waste their breath asking if we’ll have a white Christmas. 

When my daughter was about 6, around 25 years ago, it must have snowed in Telford on Christmas day as when we left carrots outside for the reindeers there was also foot prints in the snow. 

Edited by Seat68

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Anyone had any show over night in the UK?  Here in Tipton we've had about an inch and its still falling.   No doubt the panicking has already commenced. 

Snowing and settling here

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

Anyone had any show over night in the UK?  Here in Tipton we've had about an inch and its still falling.   No doubt the panicking has already commenced. 

Heavy snow showers were forecast in Solihull but nothing has settled. You can see it on the roofs of some houses but nothing on the ground. 

Â