Weather...

Dodgyknees

57 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Just been and bought myself 5 cans of Special Brew...**** this weather

**** horrible it is

My only experience of special brew is as a 14/15 year old necking a couple of cans of it in a local park, and the beer was warm too 🤢 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

My only experience of special brew is as a 14/15 year old necking a couple of cans of it in a local park, and the beer was warm too 🤢 

Last time I drank Special Brew was a four pack on the night of the 1982 European Cup Final. Although it may have been the four pints of Guinness and double tequila chasers that I followed them with that caused the hangover. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

to be fair it aint the tramp juice that it used to be, its a bit of a bitch drink now, only 7.5% these days, I didn't realise that when I bought it, used to love the stuff when it was 9%, had to drink it ice cold though, pour it into a little glass and treat it with respect.

The old purple tin as well, don't see that anymore, 9% of pure heaven that was (if you know, then you know)

anyway, its still too **** warm

38 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

The old purple tin as well, don't see that anymore, 9% of pure heaven that was (if you know, then you know)

If you're gonna drink rocket fuel, then the Tennants was perhaps the least horrible of them, but I'd rather go for some genuinely nice Belgian Trappist beer at that sort of strength.

• Like 1

Thunder lightning and heavy, heavy rain from about 5pm till midnight last night on/off. But almost consistently. Never seen a night like it. Some huge claps of thunder and lightning reaching out right across the sky. Was fascinating to watch. 

14 hours ago, blandy said:

If you're gonna drink rocket fuel, then the Tennants was perhaps the least horrible of them, but I'd rather go for some genuinely nice Belgian Trappist beer at that sort of strength.

One Christmas about a decade ago I left ordering the beer to the good lady. Myself and my dad at the time used to have a good session over the Christmas period. She brought a tray of Tennants super which is still in the garage less one can

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I’ve either gone deaf or there seems to be a lot of lightning with very little thunder

I've read about 'silent lightning'. It's merely that light travels further and faster than sound so you can see the lightning, but the thunder is too far away to hear.

• Like 1

So far here in Leeds - NO lightning, NO thunder, NO rain whatsoever. We've just had several days of sunshine and high temperatures. Right now it's still hot, but heavily overcast - which according to my weather app, is the forecast for the foreseeable - still no rain or storms expected. 

22 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I've read about 'silent lightning'. It's merely that light travels further and faster than sound so you can see the lightning, but the thunder is too far away to hear.

Apart from last night there has been little rain also which suggests the actual storm is quite far away. 

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So far here in Leeds - NO lightning, NO thunder, NO rain whatsoever. We've just had several days of sunshine and high temperatures. Right now it's still hot, but heavily overcast - which according to my weather app, is the forecast for the foreseeable - still no rain or storms expected. 

I watered the plants and very dry grass last night, about 10 minutes before heavy rain 😏

17 hours ago, Genie said:

You’d think after 2-3pm it would start to cool but it just gets hotter and hotter

Tropical nights are going to be more common with global warming so we all need to get used to it apparently.

Air-con retailers are rubbing their hands.

28 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I suspect another factor is that (here at least) the lightning seemed to be cloud to cloud lightning (as opposed to lightning to the ground), so the sound got largely dissipated or dampened by the clouds.

Â