What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’d still personally not get a Smart Car though regardless. Bit of a joke car aren’t they. You could probably get an old Clio, Fiesta or Yaris with <£30 road tax and people won’t think you’re a rocket polisher. 

Too late for that mate :D

• Haha 1

Just now, bickster said:

Estate Agents company car

Good upstanding members of the community, providing an essential service. Just like bankers. 

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

What do you think of them? Not as a main car, but just a runaround? 

Tax on a Smart is £30. A-Class at the same price seems to be £275. MPG far better on a Smart. As are running costs. Just contemplating a runaround/shopping trolley thats cheap to run and easy to park. 

Great if it's not your main car. The newer the better. First ones had all sorts of issues, but got better as time went on. Stay away from the convertibles, manual or autos okay. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Germany do that already, its a cultural thing and pretty much everybody abodes by it, cars are 3rd on the road  behind people and bikes 

But at the same time they have kind of jay walking rules, you can't just cross the road anywhere you like 

That said the blindside biker when you're making a turn is **** horrible, takes some getting used to

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is my dream car (along with an old 911 - I flit between the two) - nothing more to add than that. Unfortunately prices seem to be rising.

Love everything about it - the history of it all. 

A 1991 model in the right colour - formula red.

Maybe one day i'll have one! 😍

G80qRUt.jpeg

GiiJ2Ad.jpeg

LUzfMZx.jpeg

Edited by Xela
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

The rumour was that Ford saved their chips for their commercial vehicles - Transits, Customs, Connects, Rangers, etc. The fleet contracts with businesses for vans is more valuable than Mrs Miggins having a new Fiesta every 3 years. 

In terms of PCP, you are right. The higher residuals for VW, along with Audi, BMW and Mercedes now make the 'premium' brands cheaper per month than the more traditional mid-range brands. 

Brought this in here as we were going off topic. 

I can see how that would make sense.  You're always going to put resources where the money is when they are scarce. 

I was also thinking how the move away from proper company cars to car allowance has hurt Ford in particular.  Mrs Sidcow had 4 or 5 company car Mondeos, I guess companies could buy them outright and get good discounts so not be hurt by residuals, but as soon as you go cash for cars and take a lease the luxury cars just get way more affordable. 

Added to which pretty much everyone goes above the typical car their pay grade would have got them traditionally by putting a few more quid in out of their own pocket. 

Those things combined you can see how the Mondeo got utterly destroyed by the A4 and 3 Series. 

Edited by sidcow

31 minutes ago, Xela said:

This is my dream car (along with an old 911 - I flit between the two) - nothing more to add than that. Unfortunately prices seem to be rising.

Love everything about it - the history of it all. 

A 1991 model in the right colour - formula red.

Maybe one day i'll have one! 😍

G80qRUt.jpeg

GiiJ2Ad.jpeg

LUzfMZx.jpeg

Let’s agree to not attend the same auction, an absolute thing of beauty, the NSX not you.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

JLR has been diverting vast majority of available chips towards the high margin vehicles like Range Rover, Defender and Range Rover Sport etc.

Whilst they recently recorded a very small loss for the last quarter it’s substantially better than expected given the constraints. 

Cash-flow is positive and the break even point in terms of units sold is the lowest it has been for many years.

I think as the supply constraints ease they will record some massive profits as the >150,000 vehicle backlog is chipped away at.

All the press I've seen suggests this chip shortage could be going on for a other year now. They've just got no capacity to increase production so until actual new factories are built this is going to continue for some time. 

I suspect a lot of companies will examine their supply chains now, relying on very few suppliers with just in time deliveries is extremely fragile. 

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

All the press I've seen suggests this chip shortage could be going on for a other year now. They've just got no capacity to increase production so until actual new factories are built this is going to continue for some time. 

I suspect a lot of companies will examine their supply chains now, relying on very few suppliers with just in time deliveries is extremely fragile. 

Yeah, it’s going to be around for at least a year but it is expected to ease gradually from now onwards.

I thought I’d read that Ford was investing in producing its own semi conductors which I’m sure others will follow suit.

23 hours ago, Genie said:

Yeah, it’s going to be around for at least a year but it is expected to ease gradually from now onwards.

I thought I’d read that Ford was investing in producing its own semi conductors which I’m sure others will follow suit.

I think Tesla are already doing it?

18 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I think Tesla are already doing it?

Not currently I don’t think, maybe they are developing their own. I expect lots of big companies will now after this ongoing farce.

Edited by Genie
  • Thanks 1

On 24/01/2022 at 16:58, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

you’ll note that the pedestrian does not have to have a foot on the road to have priority

So going off the second image, they haven’t made it clear what happens if a vehicle is approaching the junction of the road that the pedestrian is about to cross? Do they wait as well? Or does the pedestrian wait, and the car trying to turn in also waits? 
Secondly, same image, what happens if a car is turning right into that junction? Are they expected to wait in the other lane and block the traffic, or does the pedestrian wait for them? 

Edited by Tayls

17 minutes ago, Tayls said:

So going off the second image, they haven’t made it clear what happens if a vehicle is approaching the junction of the road that the pedestrian is about to cross? Do they wait as well? Or does the pedestrian wait, and the car trying to turn in also waits? 
Secondly, same image, what happens if a car is turning right into that junction? Are they expected to wait in the other lane and block the traffic, or does the pedestrian wait for them? 

It’s in the print: Rule H2, motorists and cyclists should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross

doesn’t have to be any more complicated than that, no weird scenarios and what if’s, motorists give way to pedestrians

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My Toyota CHR lease ends in August. I've already been warned it's unlikely any new car I want will be available in time.

I haven't even decided what to go for. I'd like to go fully electric but options are still quite limited, either very very expensive luxury brands or seemingly over-priced hatchbacks (which are largely dull anyway; corsa, honda e and other small cars). So I'd got it down to either the Polestar 2 or the Kia EV6. I'm test driving the P2 this weekend but have just been informed they're no longer taking leasing orders on the cheapest model (£465pm) due to chip crisis so I'd be forced to go for the long range (£500pm) or the Dual Motor (£540). This brings it firmly in to the EV6 budget which I'd initially ruled out due to cost.

My CHR (hybrid) was £380pm and I'm using about £75 a month on fuel (and rising obviously). I'd worked out that, very roughly, anything around £450pm month and my monthly out goings wouldn't be greatly higher. That budget now looks shot.

Anything to contribute on thoughts about the two cars? Or electric cars in general? Or my budget?! All seems way too expensive now but it's way of the world at the moment!

I've handed in my leasing Nissan Leaf earlier this week, they've come back with me having to pay for a replacement of the left front brakes due to rust. It's pissed me off massively as I've had service included and no one has ever mentioned there being a rust problem at the same shop. I'm considering not paying and taking it to court as I'm not having it. 

Shouldn't a new car not rust after a measly 3 years and less than 30k miles driven? It's been washed, maintained, polished and thoroughly serviced in these 3 years. It feels like this is a scam to get some more money out of me before they lose me as a customer.

Â