What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

7 hours ago, Genie said:

If you like the XF I’d look at 2012 onwards as they got a really nice facelift which made it look much more modern. Also, 2.2D or 3.0D will be better engines in the long run

Forget that, he lives in the States.

5.0 litre is small! 

Get an old XJS 6.0 V12! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Just ordered a Skoda, although 27 weeks wait for it to be built. 

They were always the joke car when I was a kid and never really thought about them but really liked it when I eventually saw one. 

What would be the equivalent now?

There used to be a host of shit brands to laugh at, Lada, Skoda, Wartburg, Yugo..

There’s MG but they appear to be ok. SsangYong? I don’t know anyone that’s ever bought one.

I’ve got a Skoda, in the last couple of weeks I’ve also driven a Toyota, a Kia and a Citroen none of which would persuade me to change.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There used to be a host of shit brands to laugh at, Lada, Skoda, Wartburg, Yugo..

There’s MG but they appear to be ok. SsangYong? I don’t know anyone that’s ever bought one.

I’ve got a Skoda, in the last couple of weeks I’ve also driven a Toyota, a Kia and a Citroen none of which would persuade me to change.

Gotta be Dacia hasn’t it? The brands USP is that they are cheap and nasty.

Even then, I imagine they are still reasonable to use and reliable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

yeah, I wouldn't say they are nasty. Just very cheap

There is something quite appealing about a base model Sandero.

Brand new just over £7k. That's insanely cheap. I drove a mid spec Corsa that was over £25k as a hire car. They start at £16k!

dacia_sandero_070415(12).jpg

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Yeah maybe kia flirted with it 10-15 years ago but they've got some decent looking motors

Skoda now are pretty much like Seat to me, cheaper alternative to VW despite having the exact same gubbins 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Apologies to the vast majority who probably couldn't give a shit.... but here goes:

E-3pDi9XoAAuWig?format=jpg&name=large

Bentley Continental GT W12. Still here, although mainly used by the other half.

E-3o_CQXEAAtBd_?format=jpg&name=large

F150 5.0 Roush. Most used car, and will run this until it breaks. 

E-3o99rXoAcCWjN?format=jpg&name=large

Alpina B10 3.5, 1985 E28. Sold now. Ended up back in Germany and spent some time at Tyrell's Workshop I believe. No. 12 / 77. Was a great car.

Merc 560 SEC, 1989. Just great, but also sold now.

E-3o82_WYAMEPgU?format=jpg&name=medium

996 C4S. Sold, and regret selling. To my mind, a great  911 that really grew into it's looks.

E-3o8kwXoAkXS1K?format=jpg&name=medium

Jaguar XJR 2005 Supercharged. Spent more time in the workshop than on the road, but I still miss this car. Tried to buy it back, but it was knackered when I went to see it.

E-3rMLLXEAMPwf5?format=jpg&name=900x900

FIAT Barchetta, 1995. Still have this, and looking forward to razzing around in it again when it cools down in the winter.

Cheers Stan, all quality, you have good taste. Would love all of them, wouldn't we all. 

That Barchetta was a good car by all accounts, definitely a decent alternative to mx5.

Always thought the 996 was colour dependant looks wise.

If I could pick one for the weekend it would be the Merc.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Cheers Stan, all quality, you have good taste. Would love all of them, wouldn't we all. 

That Barchetta was a good car by all accounts, definitely a decent alternative to mx5.

Always thought the 996 was colour dependant looks wise.

If I could pick one for the weekend it would be the Merc.

The Merc was the most modern feeling of all the 80's / 90's mobils. The S Class chassis and tech was way ahead of anything in its day, and that V8 engine was smooth and had grunt. I think the W126 is only going to appreciate in value, similar to the R107 and 90's SL models.

That 996 in C4S and Turbo wide body looked great in white, silver, black and yellow IMO.

• Like 1

Doing a Bob Dylan and going electric today. Jaguar I-PACE incoming. Not wildly exciting but to be honest now that I work from home, I'm just looking forward to plugging it in when I get home instead of spending £140 a week on petrol. 

• Like 4

Just now, Risso said:

Doing a Bob Dylan and going electric today. Jaguar I-PACE incoming. Not wildly exciting but to be honest now that I work from home, I'm just looking forward to plugging it in when I get home instead of spending £140 a week on petrol. 

I-pace is an incredible car, I predict you’ll be blown away by it.

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

I-pace is an incredible car, I predict you’ll be blown away by it.

I-pace would have been my first choice but for two reasons. I don't have anywhere to plug it in and there's no secondary market as they're too new. Hopefully neither will be an issue when I'm next looking to change. 

33 minutes ago, Risso said:

Keep us posted about the range and what you get real world. Enjoy the car pal.

Watched this yesterday, it will be interesting to see how fast this snowballs in the next few years. The infrastructure for all electric just isn't there, as choffer says, nowhere to keep it charged other then drop it off somewhere then go back for it later.

Some of the tech in this vid looks super.

Edited by Phil Silvers

15 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

You have a Hyundai as well I think, is the Skoda a better motor? 

Edited by Follyfoot

Sight change of pace from £60k jags… the wife is after a new run around, she does a tiny amount of miles per year.

She has a fiesta at the moment but wants a slightly higher driving position but not necessarily a bigger car. 
She likes the look of the early Nissan Jukes and there’s one for sale by us. 2011, great condition, top spec, low miles, 1.6 petrol, fsh.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Edited by Genie

Â