What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Just now, Xela said:

I'm hoping @Genie will confirm this is true otherwise i'm going mad...

I'm 99% sure i've seen one of the new Range Rovers today. The new 5th generation ones. I know they're not on general sale until next year, but one passed me on the motorway earlier (M40 by Gaydon, heading towards Solihull). I distinctly noticed the rear lights (or lack of them - just a strip). Am I going mad? Or are there pre-production models about? It wasn't camouflaged or anything, but now it's been released to the media, I guess it wouldn't need to be anymore? 

You’re correct, there has been L460’s (new Range Rover’s) on the roads for a while but they have been heavily camouflaged prototypes.

Now the big reveal has happened they don’t need to be covered up and it’s good they are about and turning heads.

The other day it was stated that after the global reveal they opened the online configuration tool and ordering system. They were selling 1 every 9 minutes at an average cost of over £122k.

These people ordering have not seen one in the flesh let alone driven one but happy to part with that kind of money. 

• Thanks 1

Cheers @Genie, glad to hear I haven't gone completely mad yet :) 

I wish i'd seen if a bit longer but it was going a fair old lick... I was doing 70 and it zoomed past like a greased weasel. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Just been out for a quick blast down the A38 in the Kona Electric. Holy moly this thing is fast! Just effortless acceleration at any speed. Amazing.

I used to love the A38 before the toll road was built. One huge stretch of fairly straight road. In my young and reckless years I got some serious speeds* down there

* 70mph, your honour. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

I used to love the A38 before the toll road was built. One huge stretch of fairly straight road. In my young and reckless years I got some serious speeds* down there

* 70mph, your honour. 

Yeah, you have to keep slowing down for all the islands now. But that's ok because o got to play with the regenerative braking paddle.

15 hours ago, Xela said:

* 70mph, your honour. 

Tell me about it, meet up at the Bassetts pole island blast down the A38 see how fast you could get. Off the clock in my Nova 16v, 158mph in my M3, an it's where we did 178mph in a Lotus Carlton, the days aye!

Kidding for any rozzers who are reading😂

• Like 1

Really cheap deal for anyone in the market

HotUKDeals

SKODA Kamiq 1.0 TSI 110 SE 5dr DSG Petrol FWD 8k miles per year - 2 Year lease £93.59 per month + £2580 upfront via Central Vehicle Leasing

3842274_1.jpg

Initial payment £2400
Admin fee £180
Monthly payment £93.59
Contract length 2 years
Annual mileage 8k
Total cost: £4732.57

• Like 1

That 1.0 110 powered DSG set up is ridiculous.

I have it in my car, the 1 litre automatic petrol. When I was a lad, that would have been a horrific combo.

I know someone that’s just driven 100 miles down the M5, M50, and M4 doing about 80 / 85, and having the spare to accelerate and overtake stuff, and got 55mpg.

• Like 2

The Mrs got one of them Kamiqs, the 1.5TSI Monte Carlo. Cracking car, basically a VW.  Technology dash like the Audi, navigation, full glass roof, all the toys, it's a lease, think it was £800 deposit and £240 a month 24 months, basically just paying the VAT back.

Loving the Hyundai Kona Electric. Has so much relentless torque when you want it. The flappy paddle one-pedal driving system is a bit disappointing but not a major issue for me. If you do want true one-pedal action then you should look elsewhere.

Not got great mileage this last week, but then I guess this must be about the worst possible weather for that sort of thing!

It's also comfy, practical, has lots of toys, an app that sort of just about works well and it's a nice colour.

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Haven't owned one but worked for Smart/Mercedes so drove many.

What do you think of them? Not as a main car, but just a runaround? 

40 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’d go for an original A class if you’re looking at those.

Tax on a Smart is £30. A-Class at the same price seems to be £275. MPG far better on a Smart. As are running costs. Just contemplating a runaround/shopping trolley thats cheap to run and easy to park. 

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Tax on a Smart is £30. A-Class at the same price seems to be £275. MPG far better on a Smart. As are running costs. Just contemplating a runaround/shopping trolley thats cheap to run and easy to park. 

Fair enough, I didn’t realise the tax would be that high.

I’d still personally not get a Smart Car though regardless. Bit of a joke car aren’t they. You could probably get an old Clio, Fiesta or Yaris with <£30 road tax and people won’t think you’re a rocket polisher. 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Â