What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

And Tacoma gets better mileage than most other trucks. 

The Republican answer is to drill for more oil and build pipelines.

Meanwhile it's Pina Colada weather in the Arctic. 

I used to wish we had those big Toyota trucks over here, I'd keep yours and look after it, you probably will not need another car for the rest of you life. Until you HAVE to get an EV.

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

I used to wish we had those big Toyota trucks over here, I'd keep yours and look after it, you probably will not need another car for the rest of you life. Until you HAVE to get an EV.

Tacoma isn't considered big over here! 

Between spewing carbon and the cost of gasoline, trading it in seems appealing right now, tbh.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Tacoma isn't considered big over here! 

Between spewing carbon and the cost of gasoline, trading it in seems appealing right now, tbh.

Whats the EV situation like over there? Has the uptake been ok or are people still into their 7 litre powerstroke diesel Fords?

I've always loved US pick-up trucks. The modern ones seem a long way away from the cheap basic ones of the 70s and 80s. They're like luxury vehicles now. 

46 minutes ago, Xela said:

Whats the EV situation like over there? Has the uptake been ok or are people still into their 7 litre powerstroke diesel Fords?

I've always loved US pick-up trucks. The modern ones seem a long way away from the cheap basic ones of the 70s and 80s. They're like luxury vehicles now. 

EVs are fairly common in cities. Not so much elsewhere. Until all wheel drive EVs are available, rural folks in winter climates will choose the gas guzzlers and the less offensive Suburu 4x4s which are everywhere in the towns separating the city from the country here in Maine. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, av1 said:

I must say I was blown away by the value of the thing. It had all the tech I’d want, parking sensors, cameras, keyless entry, bling spot alerts, 8 inch screen with wireless android auto and the Apple equivalent. And the brand new the top of the range model is £12k . 

Sounds dangerous. Wouldn't that just dazzle you whilst you are driving? 

On 21/03/2022 at 13:14, Dom_Wren said:

Passed my full motorbike test!

I did this a few years ago and haven't ridden one on the road since. I only did it because all the superbike track days require one.

Worth.

Just the few lessons learning on the roads and the tests were enough to confirm my suspicions that the awareness level of a sizeable portion of UK drivers isn't something I would want to trust my life to.

It's scary enough trusting them from the relative safety of my absolute boat of an A6.

• Like 2

Looked on Autotrader earlier - of all the cars on there, what marque has the most? Ford? Vauxhall? 

Nope, It's BMW. 41,300. Admittedly just 200 more than Ford. Then it was Audi (36k), Merc (34.5k), VW (32.1k) and then Vauxhall (28.5k)

Nissan, Toyota, Peugeot, Citroen, Renault etc all between 10k-20k

Talk about diluting your brand - the big German names now are basically middle of the road cars and no longer aspirational. I'm sure the bottom line of the companies look stronger but its funny how things have changed over the last 20 years or so. 

• Like 1

Anyway, got distracted then. My original point was going to be about how high second hand car prices are now. Even 15yo stuff is selling for a premium. Madness! 

Edited by Xela

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Looked on Autotrader earlier - of all the cars on there, what marque has the most? Ford? Vauxhall? 

Nope, It's BMW. 41,300. Admittedly just 200 more than Ford. Then it was Audi (36k), Merc (34.5k), VW (32.1k) and then Vauxhall (28.5k)

Talk about diluting your brand - the big German names now are basically middle of the road cars and no longer aspirational. I'm sure the bottom line of the companies look stronger but its funny how things have changed over the last 20 years or so. 

Mondeo man is firmly 3 series man. I wonder if at some point in the future they will be looked down on. It's only going to take one clever quip from the right person to go viral and the brand will be toast. 

On a similar note It amazes me that anyone with actual money would buy Burberry.

11 hours ago, Xela said:

Talk about diluting your brand - the big German names now are basically middle of the road cars and no longer aspirational

I think the average fleet emissions regulations killed the notion of an entire brand being aspirational about 10 years ago. There is someone near me who has one of those Aston Martin rebadged Toyota iQs.

I'm guessing the most popular models by a distance on your Auto Trader search were the A1 and A3 for Audi. Seems like more than half I see on the road are one or the other, which are essentially the Polo and the Golf with Audi badges.

Seems like VW-Audi Group build and sell a variation from almost every brand in their collection of every new model platform they release these days.

I'm just waiting for them to announce a Lamborghini version of the A6 Avant.

Edited by YouUnastanFren
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Xela said:

I remember years ago on Top Gear Clarkson said something like “if you want something a bit more exclusive and rare than a 3 series, get a Mondeo”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a Toyota CHR which lease comes to an end in August. They will not extend it.

I have ordered a Kia EV6 which will arrive no earlier than January 2023.

So what do I do for four months plus?! I knew lead times were big but nearly a year?!

I've looked at onto.com which is a monthly subscription service but it's on the pricier side. I've considered buying a car and selling it a few months later, but that might prove expensive after any depreciation and I don't really want a banger for a few months.

But I am stuck...

29 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I have a Toyota CHR which lease comes to an end in August. They will not extend it.

I have ordered a Kia EV6 which will arrive no earlier than January 2023.

So what do I do for four months plus?! I knew lead times were big but nearly a year?!

I've looked at onto.com which is a monthly subscription service but it's on the pricier side. I've considered buying a car and selling it a few months later, but that might prove expensive after any depreciation and I don't really want a banger for a few months.

But I am stuck...

Sounds like the only real choice you have is to hire one for a few months, unless going without a car for that same period of time is an option for you…

I wouldn’t buy a cheap car and then get rid. Although you could just keep it as well and have it as something to pop to the shops in every now and then. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tayls said:

Full hybrid or plug-in hybrid? Can’t quite make up my mind on which to properly look at… 

Hybrids are a waste of time chap, they are not even that clean. Best go for full electric or a smaller engine car with a battery to back up the power, MHEV.

• 3 weeks later...

I mentioned earlier in the thread that i don’t like cars/driving so I was looking at the new Dacia simply because it was the cheapest car in Britain atm. 

I test drove one yesterday and I’ve got to say I was really impressed. It was a decent drive (given I drive like mrs daisy) it had front and rear sensors and cameras, keyless entry and start, wireless Apple play etc. so I’m going to buy one. 

The one question I have for you petrol heads if you don’t mind is LPG. 

One of the range comes with two tanks, petrol and LPG and there is a simple switch that can switch between both. 

I don’t really understand LPG, but I do a 50 mile round trip to work and from basic research it seems that LPG is about 60p per litre, so my fag packet maths have determined that the fuel saving will effectively pay for the car. 

But I’m an an idiot when it comes to cars, am I missing something really obvious?

Edited by av1

Â