What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

20 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

So the new wheels have turned up, BMW IX3. I bloody love it. Decent size, fully electric but feels like a BMW (which I love) and im saving the planet at the same time. Need to adjust my driving style to get a decent range but so far so good.

Not by buying a brand new car ;)

Only joking! I do like the iX3. What sort of 'real life' range you getting? 

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’d love an electric car but the numbers are nowhere near justifying it.

I had a good drive in a Jaguar I-Pace the other day. OMG, what an incredible car. 

An electric car would be ideal for me. I only do 5k miles a year and 99.5% are less than 50 miles. 

I don't think i'll have one next... i'll probably have a final swan song with a big petrol engine car and look electric after that.

I go through spells of deciding what to get next... i'm loving older Range Rovers at the minute. In a nice colour... not black or white with murder glass like 90% of the ones on the road now. 

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

An electric car would be ideal for me. I only do 5k miles a year and 99.5% are less than 50 miles. 

I don't think i'll have one next... i'll probably have a final swan song with a big petrol engine car and look electric after that.

I go through spells of deciding what to get next... i'm loving older Range Rovers at the minute. In a nice colour... not black or white with murder glass like 90% of the ones on the road now. 

Get a RR Sport if you’re going that way, so much car for the money. Plus all the chicks will think you’re a drug dealer.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Get a RR Sport if you’re going that way, so much car for the money. Plus all the chicks will think you’re a drug dealer.

Probably not the main quality i'm looking for in a potential spouse ;) 

Although I do take a lot of drugs... mainly to stop my body crumbling and falling apart around me!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Xela said:

Not by buying a brand new car ;)

Only joking! I do like the iX3. What sort of 'real life' range you getting? 

Not sure yet on the range. I suspect it will be around 200 miles. It tries to do a lot of driving for you, recommending coming off the acceleration earlier and coasting quite a bit. If I can be bothered to get the hang of that I think the range will be much better.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Genie said:

I’d love an electric car but the numbers are nowhere near justifying it.

I had a good drive in a Jaguar I-Pace the other day. OMG, what an incredible car. 

I've switched to a company car because the tax incentives were incredible. Not sure this will last forever but we've had a tax decrease from 40 percent to 1 percent.

For me it's meant that I'm paying less for this car Inc servicing etc than I was paying for my 3 series lease deal, granted I'm not earning any equity in the car. 

• Like 1

car question from a fairly new car owner, might be dumb. 

what guzzles petrol? other than maybe tyre pressure - we've definitely got a slow puncture on the front right, and generally we've just kept an eye on it for the moment and ensure we regularly top up the pressure, but recently the petrol consumption was insane, and I can't put it all down to the tyre pressure drop. We've had to use aircon / demisty buttons ( I don't know what I'm talking about ) quite regularly. Is that a potential drag on petrol?

Obviously I'll have to get the tyre properly sorted I suppose. 

8 minutes ago, Rodders said:

what guzzles petrol? other than maybe tyre pressure - we've definitely got a slow puncture on the front right, and generally we've just kept an eye on it for the moment and ensure we regularly top up the pressure, but recently the petrol consumption was insane, and I can't put it all down to the tyre pressure drop. We've had to use aircon / demisty buttons ( I don't know what I'm talking about ) quite regularly. Is that a potential drag on petrol?

Your fuel economy will be worse in winter as it takes the engine longer to get up to the optimum temperature. Also use of heaters/demisters/heated windscreens will have an effect as well as clogged up filters, misfiring spark plugs, misaligned and incorrectly inflated tyres, etc

As well as standard stuff like hard braking and acceleration, frequent short journeys (especially in cold weather).

When was it last serviced? 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Are you seeing more smoke out of the back? There may be a sensor in the engine a little out of sync and causing a richer mix of fuel to air. As @Xela says, in winter the car will run richer until it’s up to temperature but it shouldn’t make a noticeable impact really. 

What sort of mpg have you gone from and to?

Also, what type of car is it? It may have a DPF that’s full or clogged. You could give it a good drive (30-40 mins) at a constant high speed on a motorway to allow it to do a Regen and burn off what it has collected. 

Edited by Genie

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Are you seeing more smoke out of the back? There may be a sensor in the engine a little out of sync and causing a richer mix of fuel to air. As @Xela says, in winter the car will run richer until it’s up to temperature but it shouldn’t make a noticeable impact really. 

What sort of mpg have you gone from and to?

Also, what type of car is it? It may have a DPF that’s full or clogged. You could give it a good drive (30-40 mins) at a constant high speed on a motorway to allow it to do a Regen and burn off what it has collected. 

It's a Honda Jazz, and normally a full tank does around c270 miles or so, but I'm now at nearly halfway and can't have done more than 60 or 70 miles since I topped up. Maybe it is the weather and little things adding up. It's unleaded not diesel ( having just googled DPF ) so probably not that.  Well I'll end up doing the safest thing and check in with a garage I expect, but thanks for the replies 👍

28 minutes ago, Rodders said:

It's a Honda Jazz, and normally a full tank does around c270 miles or so, but I'm now at nearly halfway and can't have done more than 60 or 70 miles since I topped up. Maybe it is the weather and little things adding up. It's unleaded not diesel ( having just googled DPF ) so probably not that.  Well I'll end up doing the safest thing and check in with a garage I expect, but thanks for the replies 👍

I’d run it all the way down to empty before panicking, it might be the fuel level being a bit silly and might steady itself as you go on.

I’ve had times here I’ve filled the tank, it’s seemed to go down a quarter very quickly, then levelled off.

Edited by Genie
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Rodders said:

MOT was beginning of Sept, so not too long ago. We tend to only drive it a couple of days a week so I know it sitting on the drive doesn't help either tbf. 

Did they service it as part of the MOT? the MOT is just a mandatory test to ensure its roadworthy (lights are working, tyres are legal, no dangerous rot/rust under the car). The service will check and replace oil/filters/fluids and give the car more of a health check. You should have a service book in the car which will detail when and what it has had done in the past. 

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Did they service it as part of the MOT? the MOT is just a mandatory test to ensure its roadworthy (lights are working, tyres are legal, no dangerous rot/rust under the car). The service will check and replace oil/filters/fluids and give the car more of a health check. You should have a service book in the car which will detail when and what it has had done in the past. 

It should pick up if emissions were very high, unburnt fuel coming out the back.

On 06/11/2021 at 15:48, sidcow said:

I think I've written on here how happy I am with my VW Polo.

I had a call from dealer earlier in the week asking me to come in and talk about a new car, I'm still currently 18 months from the end of my PCP.  

Just got back from seeing him.  Basically as has been publicised second hand car values have been rocketing.  My car is low mileage, even with lockdown, its got 7,700 miles from new in 2.5 years.  I keep it pretty well as well, the interior is immaculate.  It's got a couple of scratches and a chip on the bonnet where some mortar fell off our roof onto it in a storm. 

I remember clearly when I bought it I specifically asked the dealer if there is usually any residual value left at the end of PCP deals.  He said not really, they tend to judge it pretty well so their values are normally bang on. 

Anyway the dealer said my car was perfect for their second hand sales.  Right age, right condition, probably as prime as it's possible to be.  He's made me an offer of £13, 700 meaning I've got £4,800 of equity towards a new car. 

I get the new equivalent model (Polo is refreshed this year) for just £15 a month more.  I've got to put down £250 cash but as I'm due a £250 service in 6 months plus an MOT that's just fine. 

Bit of a no brainer to me and a nice suprise.  I told him my story asking the original dealer about residual value.  He said in normal times the most you would ever see is £500 - £1,000.  He did say £4,800 is the most he's seen on a polo.  Apparently some guy earlier in the week had £10,000 equity on a Golf GTi. 

My advice if you're mid term on a PCP is to give your dealer a call, you never know.  

New model has got tons more kit on it too.  There is even one on the ferry right now, will be available at the end of this month. 

It's not often life throws a bonus at you.   

My missus is 2 years in to a 4 year pcp on a Toyota Aygo.

They’ve just basically asked her if she’d like to do a straight swap for a new one.

We might go in and have a chat, I’m guessing it’s at the chat stage we find out if ‘straight swap’ actually involves us handing over any money.

• Like 1

I'm hoping @Genie will confirm this is true otherwise i'm going mad...

I'm 99% sure i've seen one of the new Range Rovers today. The new 5th generation ones. I know they're not on general sale until next year, but one passed me on the motorway earlier (M40 by Gaydon, heading towards Solihull). I distinctly noticed the rear lights (or lack of them - just a strip). Am I going mad? Or are there pre-production models about? It wasn't camouflaged or anything, but now it's been released to the media, I guess it wouldn't need to be anymore? 

Â