What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

9 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I've handed in my leasing Nissan Leaf earlier this week, they've come back with me having to pay for a replacement of the left front brakes due to rust. It's pissed me off massively as I've had service included and no one has ever mentioned there being a rust problem at the same shop. I'm considering not paying and taking it to court as I'm not having it. 

Shouldn't a new car not rust after a measly 3 years and less than 30k miles driven? It's been washed, maintained, polished and thoroughly serviced in these 3 years. It feels like this is a scam to get some more money out of me before they lose me as a customer.

Has it been driven much recently?

Brake Discs are cast iron with no plating, they will rust up within a couple of days of no use this time of year. After a good drive and using the brakes a bit all the rust will clean off by the rubbing of the brake pads.

Tell them this is not a fault/damage and to stop trying to take the piss. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

My Toyota CHR lease ends in August. I've already been warned it's unlikely any new car I want will be available in time.

I haven't even decided what to go for. I'd like to go fully electric but options are still quite limited, either very very expensive luxury brands or seemingly over-priced hatchbacks (which are largely dull anyway; corsa, honda e and other small cars). So I'd got it down to either the Polestar 2 or the Kia EV6. I'm test driving the P2 this weekend but have just been informed they're no longer taking leasing orders on the cheapest model (£465pm) due to chip crisis so I'd be forced to go for the long range (£500pm) or the Dual Motor (£540). This brings it firmly in to the EV6 budget which I'd initially ruled out due to cost.

My CHR (hybrid) was £380pm and I'm using about £75 a month on fuel (and rising obviously). I'd worked out that, very roughly, anything around £450pm month and my monthly out goings wouldn't be greatly higher. That budget now looks shot.

Anything to contribute on thoughts about the two cars? Or electric cars in general? Or my budget?! All seems way too expensive now but it's way of the world at the moment!

Can you extend the existing lease?

That’s what I’ve just done… and weirdly the cost has come down. I’m now paying £35 a month less for the same car I was already driving.

It’s bumped the decision making in to next winter / new year.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Has it been driven much recently?

Brake Discs are cast iron with no plating, they will rust up within a couple of days of no use this time of year. After a good drive and using the brakes a bit all the rust will clean off by the rubbing of the brake pads.

Tell them this is not a fault/damage and to stop trying to take the piss. 

The thing is that I'm sure they sense that I'm no mechanic, I might just send my son down to talk to them. It's taking the piss.

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

The thing is that I'm sure they sense that I'm no mechanic, I might just send my son down to talk to them. It's taking the piss.

We have pool cars, Toyota Corollas.

Being pool cars they sometimes sit unused for 2 weeks. When they do, the brakes do exactly what you’ve described. They just need to be driven for 50 miles, around town at first then a quick jaunt up the motorway. When there’s nothing behind you, plenty of braking and accelerating and braking. Those broken brakes will be fixed by the time you’re back.

Brakes on electric cars hardly get used as the re-gen motor braking does most the work for you with only a light dab on the brake pedal required. So the rust issue could be legit if the discs aren't seeing much heavy braking action.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Brakes on electric cars hardly get used as the re-gen motor braking does most the work for you with only a light dab on the brake pedal required. So the rust issue could be legit if the discs aren't seeing much heavy braking action.

My Kona electric has terribly squeaky brakes when reversing off the drive, I'm guessing because they are hardly being used.

Mrs Sidcow's new A6 arrives on Monday. 

In the time since she's ordered it a couple of months passed before my VW dealer called me out of the blue, offered me a very advantageous offer to return my 2.5 year old Polo early and get a brand new one, ordered it, got it delivered and owned it for 4 months now. 

Astonishing. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

Had a look at the Dacia today, I might get booed out of here by the petrol heads, but I’m someone that sees a car simply as a tool to get from A-B and I drive like Mrs Daisey, so my purchases are always based on value for money (hence currently driving a Kia)

I must say I was blown away by the value of the thing. It had all the tech I’d want, parking sensors, cameras, keyless entry, bling spot alerts, 8 inch screen with wireless android auto and the Apple equivalent. And the brand new the top of the range model is £12k . 

Seems like incredible value for money 

17 minutes ago, av1 said:

Had a look at the Dacia today, I might get booed out of here by the petrol heads, but I’m someone that sees a car simply as a tool to get from A-B and I drive like Mrs Daisey, so my purchases are always based on value for money (hence currently driving a Kia)

I must say I was blown away by the value of the thing. It had all the tech I’d want, parking sensors, cameras, keyless entry, bling spot alerts, 8 inch screen with wireless android auto and the Apple equivalent. And the brand new the top of the range model is £12k . 

More and more are/should have this mindset, there's no joy in driving any more really. Just having a ride in to Wales and stop for lunch has become out of reach for many. A2B with alternatives is the new norm.

30 minutes ago, av1 said:

That's crazy money. What model. I need to trade in my car for one. 

20 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

It was the Sandro in the comfort trim.
 I’m also considering the sandero stepway which is the higher SUV type. The top of range prestige model in that one is slightly more expensive at £15k, but honest it’s lovely inside. So much car for the money. 

Ford Maverick EV truck base model is only $21K US. 

I might be trading in my Tacoma which currently costs $70 to fill up.

Edited by maqroll

3 hours ago, av1 said:

Its good value isn't. My mate had a Sandero Stepway a few years back. No issues with it and covered a fair few miles. Only got rid of it as he ended up with a company car. 

Definitely a market for budget cars as other models are so expensive. I've mentioned it on here before but I had a new Corsa as a hire car for a few days. It was £28k new, the Enterprise guy said. Who spends that on a Corsa?! 

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Up until 2 years ago it was £6995 for a brand new base model Sandero (the old shape). Refrigerator white with black bumpers and no extras. Went up from £5995 in 2018. I quite liked the look of it. Pure utilitarian spec. 

The new Sandero is a lot nicer, hence the relative big increase in cost. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Nice and cheap :) 

And Tacoma gets better mileage than most other trucks. 

The Republican answer is to drill for more oil and build pipelines.

Meanwhile it's Pina Colada weather in the Arctic. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Its good value isn't. My mate had a Sandero Stepway a few years back. No issues with it and covered a fair few miles. Only got rid of it as he ended up with a company car. 

Definitely a market for budget cars as other models are so expensive. I've mentioned it on here before but I had a new Corsa as a hire car for a few days. It was £28k new, the Enterprise guy said. Who spends that on a Corsa?! 

Up until 2 years ago it was £6995 for a brand new base model Sandero (the old shape). Refrigerator white with black bumpers and no extras. Went up from £5995 in 2018. I quite liked the look of it. Pure utilitarian spec. 

The new Sandero is a lot nicer, hence the relative big increase in cost. 

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest, downgrading everything makes sense in the coming years, the dacia with the 1.5d engine, that the French build I think, is sound. But if there's a petrol, that's the smart move. 

Might just run mine into the ground or sell it and do same as av1. If I drove for fun as.much as when I was a kid I'd be doing 150 p/w up it, utter madness.

Â