What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Watched this yesterday, it will be interesting to see how fast this snowballs in the next few years. The infrastructure for all electric just isn't there, as choffer says, nowhere to keep it charged other then drop it off somewhere then go back for it later.

Some of the tech in this vid looks super.

as a side to that i thought it was frankfurt that had the big motor show? geneva being the biggest plus then also a big one in detroit

dont get me wrong it doesnt make much sense for frankfurt to do it seeing as none of the big germans are based there

and the hydrogen cell BMW - thats my wife's cousin does in Munich, he's come back from china to help design them, saw him mid july he's proper johnny tight lips on it all

Edited by villa4europe

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I-pace is an incredible car, I predict you’ll be blown away by it.

Thanks mate! I hope so. It'll be good because I'm moving from a Range Rover, and the interior is virtually identical, so at least it will feel familiar. The sound is going to be very different though, from the feral roar of an SVR to the deafening silence of the i-PACE.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

Sight change of pace from £60k jags… the wife is after a new run around, she does a tiny amount of miles per year.

She has a fiesta at the moment but wants a slightly higher driving position but not necessarily a bigger car. 
She likes the look of the early Nissan Jukes and there’s one for sale by us. 2011, great condition, top spec, low miles, 1.6 petrol, fsh.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Not too much help apart from I'm not aware she had many issues but a girl at my old job was terrible for forgetting where she parked. She bought a yellow one, thinking it will be easy for her to spot. Little did she know, I think everyone had the same idea and there would be several yellow Jukes in the car park wherever she parked, so it probably made things worse. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Risso said:

Doing a Bob Dylan and going electric today. Jaguar I-PACE incoming. Not wildly exciting but to be honest now that I work from home, I'm just looking forward to plugging it in when I get home instead of spending £140 a week on petrol. 

Have you had something installed in the house?

I still don't feel ready to switch to electric just yet. 

8 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

You have a Hyundai as well I think, is the Skoda a better motor? 

I’d put them on a very similar level.

Hyundai had a bigger engine and was hybrid, butt he engine was a bit course.  Everything just worked and it was a spec where it was as close to being a self driving car as its legal to be at the moment. Variable cruise, auto breaking, auto steering correct, auto lights and wipers. Just dead easy and reliable. Plus invisible and anonymous. 77mpg from an auto petrol.

Skoda loaded with even more tech, but it’s glitchy. Gesture control, but that means it thinks you want radio 3 when you use the indicators. Better sounding stereo in the Skoda, but doesn’t like homemade mixtapes. Tiny 1 litre 3 cylinder engine that will do 70mpg up and down the motorway all day long.

It’s a close call, Hyundai was absolutely 100% glitch free, but the Skoda is more interesting. What other car comes with a lime green magnifying glass and a hidden umbrella? Want to read some small print but make it look creepy green? Skoda. Want some perfect white goods for commuting? Hyundai.

My pal wants to borrow my GLC to take the family down the coast next weekend, he needs a big car and wants to buy one for his Wife. He said he would lend me his wife's BMW for the weekend, which I duly refused as I didn't really wanna lend my car out, especially for a family weekend away. Then he said "what if I lend you my car", (below, electric Taycan) for the weekend. I told him he can pick mine up Friday morning😆

55b1e610-9958-4686-a4b0-db5c236e0bde-jpe

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

Anybody here have experience of the Hyundai Ionic 5?  Potential new car so would welcome thoughts.

I had a look when ordering my Kona electric. Looks very smart but is absolutely enormous and the dealer said he thought they were overpriced (for the larger range model).

On that note, my Kona got indefinitely delayed because of the chip shortage so we dropped down a spec to get one that has already been built. It's being shipped now but still... We ordered in August for October delivery, and we're actually getting a December delivery of a lower spec car than we initially wanted.

Supposedly these issues are affecting all manufacturers.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I had a look when ordering my Kona electric. Looks very smart but is absolutely enormous and the dealer said he thought they were overpriced (for the larger range model).

On that note, my Kona got indefinitely delayed because of the chip shortage so we dropped down a spec to get one that has already been built. It's being shipped now but still... We ordered in August for October delivery, and we're actually getting a December delivery of a lower spec car than we initially wanted.

Supposedly these issues are affecting all manufacturers.

They are. My mate is CEO of Jardines, the second biggest car dealer in the country with nearly all of the main manufacturers. He told me a couple of weeks ago that nearly all manufacturers are quoting a minimum of 12 months for a new build anything. This is obviously bad on one hand, but on the other his used car inventory has gone up in value by about 30%.

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, Risso said:

They are. My mate is CEO of Jardines, the second biggest car dealer in the country with nearly all of the main manufacturers. He told me a couple of weeks ago that nearly all manufacturers are quoting a minimum of 12 months for a new build anything. This is obviously bad on one hand, but on the other his used car inventory has gone up in value by about 30%.

Yeah, we deliberately didn't go for a new build, we ordered one that was already in the pipeline. Even then it got indefinitely delayed, presumably it hadn't quite been started or maybe it was partially built, not really sure.

At least the one we switched to actually exists. Just need it to get past the shipping issues and the UK HGV driver shortage issues...

Need some advice please. Other half has just bought a 66 plate nissan juke and the main beam headlights still appear to be "too high" despite being on the lowest setting (did the usual test of facing a wall and watching the beam lower whilst pressing the required switch on the dash) but it still is a bit high and we get flashed at night by some drivers. I know they have those daytime running lights higher up but don't think they're the problem. I've looked on forums but nothing really helps so far.

Any ideas VTers ?

On 23/08/2021 at 23:21, Xela said:

Here's a question. Something me and a couple of the lads were at work were chatting about - you can tell work is slow...

Perfect 2 car garage for you... being realistic. Not a Bugatti and Rolls,  but 2 cars, that you would have to cover all eventualities if you could justify it. I ended up with the following, within a reasonable price range

Land Rover Discovery

Mid 2000s Corvette

Â