What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

I've got a VW 2.0 Turbo Automatic with DSG gear box, it's absolutely brilliant. People argue that automatics aren't fun to drive, this car is the best fun I've ever had since I started driving.

Would never go back to manual now, although I don't know how a standard automatic would compare to the DSG with paddle-shift's.

yeah my automatic is the most fun I've had while driving, I've actually got in to using cruise control as part of a fuel saving / stop being **** daft exercise so I have no feet on the pedals for most of my motorway driving, its not boring

thinking of taking my S4 around the nurburgring in a couple of weeks as its only an hour away from where I work, its 25 euros which is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be, assisted driver or renting a car then goes to around 200, just need to look at some track insurance and then book it

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

Because.

I've grown up with manual stick shifting (whatever it's called in English), but having automatic gear box in rush hour traffic is so bloody amazing. It makes driving a bit more boring, but if it's a commuting car it's a no brainer. 

Modern automatic gear boxes are so good anyway, that I find them no less fun to drive. 

This will all be moot in a few years anyway, as we’ll all be driving electric. 

#greenrevolution. 

For what it's worth I was very much in the manual camp as I was told they were more fun to drive and ultimately quicker as an automatic took longer to change through gears as part of fuel saving protocols etc.

However, I now own a Scirocco R and had to decide between the manual or automatic. The automatic is quicker from 0-60 and far easier to drive every day. I'm not sure if that is down to the DSG or is just a sign of the technology.

As for automatics being boring, I'd suggest you sit in the R as the turbo kicks in on a dual carriageway and I accelerate at a ridiculous speed (legally of course...)

19 hours ago, snowychap said:

BTW, what is this stuff about automatic against manual?

Automatics are for late middle-aged estate agents, no?

Bankers as well!

The old 3 speed t-bar autos from the 80's and early 90's which seriously sapped the speed on a car are long gone and autos nowadays have vastly improved. All the main supercar manufacturers have pretty much given up on manual nowadays -you won't see many cars, if any, from Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Maserati, Bugatti, etc that have stick shifters. All electric cars from memory are automatics as well now, although a lot tend to use CVT autos, which I don't like. 

the DSG box from VAG cars is a superb auto box - dual clutches, manual override, sports mode and paddles (if specced as an option). 

Manual cars will soon be a very niche market for the very cheap cars or retro enthusiasts. 

• Thanks 1

Another vote for the autobox here.

I'd only ever driven manual until last year when I got a VW. I generally drive it on the eco setting and even with that, the pickup when I need to put my foot down is pretty instant. I genuinely can't imagine going back to a manual now.

My driving style has changed immeasurably too. From hammering around in an A5 Coupe, I'm now trying to maximise my mpg on every trip. I might arrive five minutes late to everything now but I do so in the full knowledge I've actually saved the planet. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Xela said:

Manual cars will soon be a very niche market for the very cheap cars or retro enthusiasts. 

as long as there is a cheaper option in manual people will take it, as soon as that option is taken away people wont care as much and the revolution will begin, same with the majority of options on cars, my car was automatic only, 1 engine size 1 fuel type, here's the cost do you want it or not?

maybe me being naive but I am guessing the number of people knowing / caring what engine size, gear box and maybe even fuel type is dwindling, its all about what they can afford

On 05/03/2019 at 18:39, Xela said:

Lancia did a model called a Thema. Basically a bog standard square saloon - similar to a Saab 9000. Except on one of the models they chucked a 4.2 Ferrari V8 lump in there! Proper sleeper car. 

My Dad was always an Interceptor fan - they weren't bad value 10 years or so ago - now they cost a fortune. 

Sleeper is one way of the putting it :lol:

Here's a legendary Thema 8.32 for sale

00Z0Z_5PsQFtULgFb_600x450.jpg

00M0M_bdh3h4BPhTT_600x450.jpg

Offered at $33,975 plus tax and DMV

RESTORATION DETAILS 2018 work
Full Engine & Drivetrain Inspection
New Coils & Spark Plugs
Temp and Oil Pressure Senders Replaced
Front Subframe Bushings Replaced
New Shocks Front & Rear
New Clutch Cable
Repaired Shift Linkage
New Exhaust System
New AC Compressor & Recharge
Replace All Fluids

Wheels Cleaned and Polished
4-Wheel Alignment and Balance

Original Interior Refreshed
Refitted Headliner
Clean & Detail Upholstery and Carpets
All Interior Lights & Electronics Checked
New Tailights
New Retractable Rear Spoiler Seals

Complete exterior Paint job
New Pinstriping
Hand Sanded, Double Clear Coat

Odometer 153,287 Km = 110,806 miles
Current California title

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Sleeper is one way of the putting it :lol:

Here's a legendary Thema 8.32 for sale

Love that Thema. Was actually offered one a few years ago that I passed on, but really wish I had taken the plunge. Along with the trucks, here are the 'youngtimers' taking up my garage space at the mo. 

IMG_20190426_144057.jpg

IMG_20190426_142522.jpg

IMG_20190426_144239.jpg

• Like 2

On 23/04/2019 at 13:00, Stevo985 said:

The only reason really to go for a manual is they're generally cheaper (up front).

Possibly the only other thing I'd consider, kurt, is that if you've not really driven since your test, will going straight to an auto mean you lose the knowledge of how to drive a manual?

That's an open question. It might be like riding a bike and you'll never forget. I genuinely don't know.

Other than that I don't think there's any real reason to prefer manual.

I think I've already "forgotten" if I'm honest! I passed my test 3 years ago, but haven't driven since.

Don't get me wrong, I know how to drive a manual, but it's something I do find difficult. If I actually focus on the clutch/gears side of thing, I tend to not be able to focus on far more important things like mirrors and the road.

I just wondered if there was any glaring advantage of a manual that I'm missing. It sounds like the only difference is that I'm far less likely to cause an accident if I drive an automatic, so that's what I'm going to do.

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

Love that Thema. Was actually offered one a few years ago that I passed on, but really wish I had taken the plunge. Along with the trucks, here are the 'youngtimers' taking up my garage space at the mo.

I love the old-school sleepers if that's what we're calling them :)  A Lotus Carlton would go down nicely too :thumb:  Not many of them around.

• Like 2

I knew someone that had a Volvo T5 that had had some tinkering. Already rapid but **** hell. Obviously not a complete sleeper as a lot of people knew they were rapid (hence being motorway pursuit vehicles) but anyone who just thought that thing was just a boring safe Volvo box got a shock at the lights...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BOF said:

I love the old-school sleepers if that's what we're calling them :)  A Lotus Carlton would go down nicely too :thumb:  Not many of them around.

My dad had the opposite of the Lotus Carlton.

He had a Cavalier Estate that had some crazy small engine in it.

You had to apply in writing to accelerate.

• Haha 2

We’ve just ordered a new T-Roc, which should be delivered in the next few weeks. My wife drove an Ibiza previously but have baby number 2 on the way so wanted something a little bigger, and practical. It’s coming in that Indium metallic grey, like a gun metal grey, and 18inch alloys so will look decent. 

What that means now is that when I change my car later in the year I can sack off the boring Passat I have for something more exciting as my wife will have the bigger more practical car now! 

I work in field sales in finance so do a fair bit of mileage, and need it to be efficient and exciting to drive. 

To join in the debate I’ll be doing down the auto route for sure. The auto gearboxes now are top class, I’ve had manuals recently but driven other autos and the mileage I do an auto will be a dream! 

22 hours ago, villa4europe said:

maybe me being naive but I am guessing the number of people knowing / caring what engine size, gear box and maybe even fuel type is dwindling, its all about what they can afford

Its all about what is the most flashy car they can afford on their PCH/PCP plan now so they can impress their friends and neighbours. 

But yes, engine size is less relevant now as engines are far more efficient so you don't need a huge engine in order to have a powerful car. My bog standard Audi pumps out pretty much the same power as a Ferrari 328 did in the mid 80's and a Honda NSX did in the early 90's

Â