What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

On 28/04/2019 at 12:38, wazzap24 said:

I'm interested in this, have you VT'd under the old 'halves and thirds' rule before? 

We've been looking into reports that people who do this are being refused further finance? 

We've also had anecdotal reports of people being refused mortgages etc because the full value of the car is added to their credit file? Not sure how true or widespread that is though. 

Its still show PCP for what it is, when you essentially have to use a loophole to make it worthwhile? 

I've found that if you have negative equity in the car you want to get rid of or if you're jumping ship or if you want the service plan and various insurance options they would give you just about anything, I think last time I VT'd under the rule*, was counting down to it too, was over my mileage and the longer I had it the worse it was going to get, the one thing I have found about PCP is there is seemingly no benefit to being under your mileage, did the sums when I gave the last one back and the penalty I paid was less than the what I would have paid to have been in the next mileage band they offered me and therefore been under, fortunately with my work im comfortable with costs and forecasting etc and could pretty comprehensively work everything out and pick a "good" cost per month for me, with the S4 its not so much the service costs or tyres (service is the same as my old 4 series BMW, tyres aren't run flats so they are cheaper) but the fuel it drinks has been noticeable 

I think I had an argument with my mortgage advisor about 5 years ago because I had to declare the cost of the car in my outgoings (inc petrol etc) but then I think they wouldn't let me declare reclaiming my fuel, Im sure they did take in to account the full sum of the car in my debt declaration but the mortgage I was after wasn't the top end of what I could afford so it wasn't a problem

same with the car, I used to get a car allowance from work, the PCP was to the value of that allowance, I could have gone cheaper and pocketed the money but the wages were good and I was spunking it up the wall anyway so thought just get a good car

* got accepted for a 2nd mortgage application 6 months after, I have no credit card or loans etc, no real debt other than the car and house (which I don't have any more anyway so now it is just the car) and earn decent money so not sure if its a problem for me

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nurburgring insurance was £720 And by the sounds of it if you crash they can milk you for thousands in damage and help cars, track closures etc 😔

Still I managed to hit 242kmph on the autobahn! It's a weird feeling, got 2 weeks left to get to 249 which is when the computer apparently says no more (155mph)

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Some of the UK's newest and most popular cars are at risk of being stolen in seconds by exploiting weaknesses in keyless entry systems.

The systems let drivers open and start their cars without taking their key out of their pocket.

What Car? magazine tested seven different car models fitted with keyless entry and start systems.

BBC

Hoping someone with proper man skills can help. 

My car, a Citreon Picasso, when the air con has been on, for even just a minute, kicks in the radiator fan at a volume and noise similar to a hoover. This goes on for 5 minutes after the ignition is turned off. Any ideas why? 

Potentially connected but might not be is there is slight weeping from my radiator and requires a replacement, which is happening in the next week or so. 

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

My car, a Citreon Picasso, when the air con has been on, for even just a minute, kicks in the radiator fan at a volume and noise similar to a hoover. This goes on for 5 minutes after the ignition is turned off. Any ideas why? 

Potentially connected but might not be is there is slight weeping from my radiator and requires a replacement, which is happening in the next week or so. 

Its normal for the fan to come on with the air con, all cars do it. Yours being noisy is your problem, maybe the fan itself is damaged? Sometimes debris can hit them and break or damage the blades.

I think the best thing you can do is burn the Picasso to the ground and buy a better car.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I hate cars. 

That's probably because you take the motorway everywhere.

"I'm just popping to the corner shop at the end of the road, love!"

*Reaches for the West Midlands Motorway A to Z*

7 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I see your problem.

Its a Citroen

:detect:

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I hate cars. 

Me too and I work in the industry. 

My company car is coming up to 2 years overdue for change (nearly 5 years old, could have had a replacment after 3) and I cannot be forked with picking a new one. Hate it. 

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

I see your problem.

Its a Citroen

:detect:

I really take the Columbo approach to cars, just transportation. As I do over 600 miles a week Its getting run into the ground. My old motorhome is my pride and joy. 

• Like 1

Insurance company taking the proverbial. Having been rear-ended (insert williams.jpg) last Monday, I'm currently swanning around in a 330i M Sport. 

I've always hated BMWs but this one I could get used to.

XlMkmFk.jpg

• Like 1

I keep having urges to buy an old classic car... luckily it passes as I realise it will be a waste of time as my daily driver only does 2k miles a year. 

However didn't stop me looking at Rover SD1's last night - 3500 V8 Vanden Plas or Vitesse please

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Xela said:

@Genie Is the Kuga a 4wd?

The old dear wants a new car and its one I was thinking of.. she wants 4wd though as they are now a tad rural. 

I have deliberately gone for the 2WD version. I do a lot of miles, and 99.999999% on road so getting extra fuel economy with 2WD version. Mine is a manual, the chap at the Ford dealership was saying that most of the automatics tended to be 4WD. Not sure how true that is.

I've had it about 3 months now and very happy with it. Its the Titanium X and has most of the kit, couple of things I was surprised it didn't have. It has keyless start, but not keyless entry which seems odd (but probably a good thing given how easy they are to open). It also doesn't have stop/start. It seems to have everything else. I'm looking forward to using the heated leather seats in the winter. Opening Glass panoramic roof, power tailgate, climate, heated front screen, DAB, Bluetooth. Only day to day niggle is the power tailgate, its ridiculously slow to open and close which is annoying. If buying from new and picking my options I'd go for a manual boot for speed.

Its 140bhp but can be easily remapped to 200bhp and (apparently) also gives it about 20% more mpg. Seems like a win/win. I might for for that once its out of warranty.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, choffer said:

Insurance company taking the proverbial. Having been rear-ended (insert williams.jpg) last Monday, I'm currently swanning around in a 330i M Sport. 

I've always hated BMWs but this one I could get used to.

XlMkmFk.jpg

You poor guy. What do you normally drive?

Â