What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Can anyone recommend a decent car dealership around the West Mids area? I'm looking to get something a little bit bigger and more comfortable but my car knowledge is limited and my mate who accompanied me on my last two purchases (ex car salesman and knew exactly what to look for) is unfortunately no longer with us. I'll be mostly looking at the used car market and have thought about leading too.

Also if there is anywhere I should definitely avoid.

Ta.

On 04/03/2019 at 21:29, Xela said:

Also, this:

Always wanted one. 25 years old and still looks fresh. Bulletproof build as well 

AETV29801959_1.jpg

Absolute dream car with a timeless design (check @vqvtecv8 on Instagram). One day, when I have that kind of money, I'll get either the NSX or a R34 GT-R.

I'm currently looking to purchase a R33 GT-R but am struggling to find one without tons of tasteless tuning.

6 hours ago, supermon said:

I want a new car but can't afford it cos i brought a house, have to make do with my Honda Civic 😪 😪 😪

I bet its reliable though!

4 hours ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

Absolute dream car with a timeless design (check @vqvtecv8 on Instagram). One day, when I have that kind of money, I'll get either the NSX or a R34 GT-R.

I'm currently looking to purchase a R33 GT-R but am struggling to find one without tons of tasteless tuning.

Like you say, problem is finding an older Skyline that doesn't look like a 13yo's wet dream of a Fast n Furious movie.

How about a 300ZX?

That NSX in the picture is 28 years old (currently for sale at £44k). Yet it looks modern. Definitely my current 'grail' car. Will wait until I move into a property with a garage or barn to store before I make a purchase that big. 

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Like you say, problem is finding an older Skyline that doesn't look like a 13yo's wet dream of a Fast n Furious movie.

How about a 300ZX?

That NSX in the picture is 28 years old (currently for sale at £44k). Yet it looks modern. Definitely my current 'grail' car. Will wait until I move into a property with a garage or barn to store before I make a purchase that big. 

The 300ZX is a great car and very rare where I live. i've only ever seen one (colour was british racing green with black wheels and mirrors - beautiful). I just checked and they are very reasonably priced.

But my heart is telling me to get a R33. One day I'll find something reasonable. 😁

• Like 1

Went from this:

Screenshot_20190402_154446-720x715.jpg.79bccb70bb42e9ddfa689a6d359d3558.jpg

To this:

Screenshot_20190402_161030-720x716.jpg.2713f63ea95d1418d1e531e359281ff9.jpg

Yes, I know both cars are chavvy. My mates give me a rough time. 🙈

Had owned the BMW for 10 days before disaster struck. The car was in the parking lot outside the office when the heaviest hail storm in years appeared out of nowhere (https://bit.ly/2uHHEcW - the pictures don't do it justice).

The car had over 1'000 dents in the bodywork (the shop counted them for the insurance company). Repairs cost around £10k. Apart from the roof the whole body is new. Insurance covered every penny without making a fuss. Thank god.

• Like 1

Got this for the weekend:

b6y880.jpg

2017 Ford super duty f-350 lariat. Fully loaded. After market wheels. Lift and tires and the 6.7L power stroke diesel. 

Must not buy. 

• Like 3

On 04/04/2019 at 20:07, Dom_Wren said:

Got this for the weekend:

b6y880.jpg

2017 Ford super duty f-350 lariat. Fully loaded. After market wheels. Lift and tires and the 6.7L power stroke diesel. 

Must not buy. 

I bought it 🤦‍♂️🤪

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

I bought it 🤦‍♂️🤪

Haha, good work Dom, knew you would! I've still got the F150 which serves me well. 

Just picked this little beauty up. 1985 Alpina B10 3.5, no. 12 out of 77 made with just 55k miles on the clock (88,000 Kms). 

D4BMP_dW0AAAutt.jpg

I'll get some good pics shortly, along with some of my "new" Merc 560 SEC :) 

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 3

I'm looking at getting my first car. I passed my test about 3 years ago when I was 28, for various reasons I'd not done it before then. However, I was an incredibly nervous driver and had over a years worth of lessons, then stalled about 5 times on my driving test. I did a bit of a drive on the Lichfield industrial estate when it was dead, and was still very nervous and get in a bit of a panic with a few things. It seems that a lot of my panic could be removed by simply driving an automatic car - but everyone at work keeps telling me to go with a manual. Is there any big advantage or point to driving a manual car? I really know nothing about cars, but to me the ease of driving an automatic without worrying about things I don't need to worry about seems to be a benefit.

Even 5-10 years ago I'd have strongly suggested manual. They were far more common, cheaper, one fewer system to break, and more satisfying to drive.

These days? Electric is the future, and it's coming bloody fast. There are plenty of decent affordable, reliable petrol/diesel automatics available in the short term, and in 10 years time, I think outside of the enthusiast and bangernomics markets, you won't find many people driving a manual. Electrics and hybrids are really catching on, and it's going to kill off the need for a manual license. If you don't enjoy driving manual, I don't think I'd bother.

Edited by Davkaus

Â