What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

What's the most likely sort of driving your going to be doing? If it's commuting in stop start traffic then an auto makes more sense. I can't get my head around people that commute in traffic and choose a manual. I think some of the fascination with manual comes from kids thinking they have more control over acceleration in their banger if they 'drop' a gear and all that top gear type bollocks. In reality 90% of the time you're driving from one set of lights to the next, behind a Honda Jazz.

My last three cars have been auto and I just can't imagine going back. I've been driving a Nissan Juke with a manual box this week, mostly around Sheffield and Stoke and it was just a horrible old fashioned pig of a thing.

I'm just not sure that describing panic and nerves is going to be addressed much by a choice of gearbox? That's maybe best addressed by just clocking up driving hours.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

but everyone at work keeps telling me to go with a manual.

Is there any big advantage or point to driving a manual car? 

On the first statement, has anyone at your work given a reason why manual is better? or it is the old, 'manual is the only true way to drive' rubbish spouted by an armchair Clarkson? 

I haven't owned a manual car for over 15 years across my last four motors (2x Beamers, 1x Merc and 1x Audi - what a selection of rocket polisher cars!) and can't conceivably think of a time in the near future that I would buy one. Maybe unless I lived in the middle of nowhere and was buying a classic sports car for occasional use. 

25-30 years ago automatics were generally the reserve of company directors in their S Class/Jags/7 Series or little old ladies in a Metro/Micra who couldn't operate a manual. All performance and supercars used to be manual only. How times change though!

Autos are much better and smoother in the lower end of market than they used to be and I think all hybrids and electric cars are automatic as well now? Plus at the higher end, I'm not sure if the likes of Ferrari or Lamborghini even make manuals anymore?

If you fancy an automatic and think it will make your life easier, then go for it. 

Edited by Xela

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

On the first statement, has anyone at your work given a reason why manual is better? or it is the old, 'manual is the only true way to drive' rubbish spouted by an armchair Clarkson? 

I haven't owned a manual car for over 15 years across my last four motors (2x Beamers, 1x Merc and 1x Audi - what a selection of rocket polisher cars!) and can't conceivably think of a time in the near future that I would buy one. Maybe unless I lived in the middle of nowhere and was buying a classic sports car for occasional use. 

25-30 years ago automatics where generally the reserve of company directors in their S Class/Jags/7 Series or little old ladies in a Metro/Micra who couldn't operate a manual. All performance and supercars used to be manual only. How times change though!

Autos are much smoother in the lower end of market than they used to be and I think all hybrids and electric cars are automatic as well now? Plus at the higher end, I'm not sure if the likes of Ferrari or Lamborghini even make manuals anymore?

If you fancy an automatic and think it will make your life easier, then go for it. 

One lad suggested it was "embarrassing", though he's exactly that - a "lad". Another person said they feel more in control. 

I'm only looking for a cheap second hand run around, so I don't know if it's less likely I'll get an automatic as the car would probably be 10+ years old.

3 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

One lad suggested it was "embarrassing", though he's exactly that - a "lad". Another person said they feel more in control. 

I'm only looking for a cheap second hand run around, so I don't know if it's less likely I'll get an automatic as the car would probably be 10+ years old.

Are you really bothered what this 'lad' thinks? The control thing is a moot point anyway when you are driving 30mph going from A to B. 

Some of the auto boxes have 'sport' modes or manual overrides so you can drop gears when you need to without the hassle of a clutch pedal (mine has paddle gearshifts as well but barely use them) so they can be as basic or advanced as you want. 

You should be able to find plenty of small automatic runarounds. Whats your budget if you don't mind me asking?

29 minutes ago, Xela said:

Are you really bothered what this 'lad' thinks? The control thing is a moot point anyway when you are driving 30mph going from A to B. 

Some of the auto boxes have 'sport' modes or manual overrides so you can drop gears when you need to without the hassle of a clutch pedal (mine has paddle gearshifts as well but barely use them) so they can be as basic or advanced as you want. 

You should be able to find plenty of small automatic runarounds. Whats your budget if you don't mind me asking?

I don't really care what he thinks, but quite a few people seem to have manuals and suggested them, so I assumed there must be a reason!

Ideally I don't want to be spending much over a grand. I'm only going to be using it to get to work and back really, and do the shopping and stuff. I live in Lichfield and work in Shenstone so it'll only be about 10 or so miles a day.

23 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I don't really care what he thinks, but quite a few people seem to have manuals and suggested them, so I assumed there must be a reason!

Ideally I don't want to be spending much over a grand. I'm only going to be using it to get to work and back really, and do the shopping and stuff. I live in Lichfield and work in Shenstone so it'll only be about 10 or so miles a day.

I had a quick look at autos for sale on Autotrader within 25 mies of Sutton, so not far from you, and there was over 1000. Of various sizes but a fair few small cars from Pug 206's, Nissan Micras, VW Golfs, Ford Focuses and many more.

Just get something cheap and reliable - probably Japanese. With as much MOT left as possible. If i was in your boat i'd be looking at the Micra. Well built and reliable, cheap to buy, tax and insure (relatively speaking compared to others) and most have been owned by lets say the more 'mature' market so won't have been razzed, will be relatively low mileage and will have been looked after properly and serviced on time. Ok, its not a 'sexy' car but if thats not a concern then it might be a good option. 

My first car was a 1989 Austin Metro... lasted 9 months before it was written off! 

Edited by Xela

On 19/04/2019 at 14:15, Davkaus said:

I think outside of the enthusiast and bangernomics markets, you won't find many people driving a manual. 

Talking of bangernomics, do you watch HubNut on Youtube? Fantastic channel. One man and a plethora of cheap cars. 

The only reason really to go for a manual is they're generally cheaper (up front).

Possibly the only other thing I'd consider, kurt, is that if you've not really driven since your test, will going straight to an auto mean you lose the knowledge of how to drive a manual?

That's an open question. It might be like riding a bike and you'll never forget. I genuinely don't know.

Other than that I don't think there's any real reason to prefer manual.

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The only reason really to go for a manual is they're generally cheaper (up front).

Possibly the only other thing I'd consider, kurt, is that if you've not really driven since your test, will going straight to an auto mean you lose the knowledge of how to drive a manual?

That's an open question. It might be like riding a bike and you'll never forget. I genuinely don't know.

I've barely driven a manual in 15 years but i've not forgotten. Don't get me wrong, I'm awful at clutch control if I drive one. Had one as a courtesy car a couple of yeas back. I wasn't quite as bad as Maureen from 'Driving School' but it wasn't a smooth enjoyable journey! 

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've barely driven a manual in 15 years but i've not forgotten. Don't get me wrong, I'm awful at clutch control if I drive one. Had one as a courtesy car a couple of yeas back. I wasn't quite as bad as Maureen from 'Driving School' but it wasn't a smooth enjoyable journey! 

Yeah it was more because Kurt has only just learned to drive. If he'd been driving with a manual for 5 years I'd say he wouldn't forget. But for someone so new, would you forget how to do it?

Again it's an open question, I genuinely don't know.

On 13/04/2019 at 04:06, StanBalaban said:

Haha, good work Dom, knew you would! I've still got the F150 which serves me well. 

Just picked this little beauty up. 1985 Alpina B10 3.5, no. 12 out of 77 made with just 55k miles on the clock (88,000 Kms). 

D4BMP_dW0AAAutt.jpg

I'll get some good pics shortly, along with some of my "new" Merc 560 SEC :) 

Yeah it was always gonna happen, thing is great tho!

Love the Alpina's mate. Great cars.

• Thanks 1

Back in the day...

Keith Seume, founding editor of Volksworld magazine, and me giving him some tuning tips whilst repping the double denim look.

46773990785_e164ecc764_n.jpg

I'm guessing this would have been something at Moreton in Marsh, because there's a drag strip.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Back in the day...

Keith Seume, founding editor of Volksworld magazine, and me giving him some tuning tips whilst repping the double denim look.

46773990785_e164ecc764_n.jpg

I'm guessing this would have been something at Moreton in Marsh, because there's a drag strip.

You'd do anything after a cheeky vimto. 

On 23/04/2019 at 18:10, Xela said:

I've got used to driving an automatic, between the Ford in Canada and now the Porsche, but the second car is a manual 3-series.

Had to drive to Kidderminster last week in the manual and it was fine until I pulled into the services. I'd been in the 50 zone for ages and not had to change gear, so when I slowed down my brain was in automatic mode. Tried to stop in 6th gear and stalled it! Thought I'd broken down until I remembered!

I feel I can safely say I'll never by another manual car. There's just no point. They're the automobile version of vinyl.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2019 at 14:17, Risso said:

Anyway, one of these:

2017-gmc-yukon-xl-denali-4wd-instrumented-test-review-car-and-driver-photo-671883-s-original.jpg

Some clearing in the woods parked that kind of thing outside my home the other day. They had absolutely no idea how long the thing was let alone that people couldn't actually see through the huge metal piece of shit.

Genuine bellends.

Edited by snowychap

9 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I've got used to driving an automatic, between the Ford in Canada and now the Porsche, but the second car is a manual 3-series.

Had to drive to Kidderminster last week in the manual and it was fine until I pulled into the services. I'd been in the 50 zone for ages and not had to change gear, so when I slowed down my brain was in automatic mode. Tried to stop in 6th gear and stalled it! Thought I'd broken down until I remembered!

I feel I can safely say I'll never by another manual car. There's just no point. They're the automobile version of vinyl.

I did the opposite the other week.

Had an automatic courtesy car while mine was getting serviced. No biggy, I've driven them before, no issue with them.

But halfway to work I'd zoned out and forgotten and had to brake fairly sharpish on the motorway. Put my left foot down to put the clutch in and instead absolutely slammed the anchors on. My face nearly went through the windscreen :D

Luckily there was nobody immediately behind me or it might have been bad!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â