World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

12 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

I think it’s in support of Ozil, I’m sure after he mentioned that he’ll receive racist abuse when he would play bad for them. Also (not 100 percent about this for sure) he got expelled from the team after bringing awareness of the genocide to Uyghurs in China too.

He retired voluntarily but the criticism at the time was more about his friendship with Erdogan. I think Erdogan was his best man

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HKP90 said:

I know he's trying to make a statement of some kind about the German protest, but it isn't very good, because I have no idea what he's trying to say. Is he for the German protest? against it? Does he have a beef with Ozil? I am none the wiser.

He is also wearing a press pass by the looks of it

5 hours ago, blandy said:

There’s things in your whole post which are valid, but somehow I don’t completely share the outlook. Because underneath all the politics and noise, people all over the globe really love football. So I start from that standpoint. Which means that football should roam around the planet every 4 years. You’re of course right that FIFA is a grotesque, corrupt, money chasing, immoral ogre of an organisation and the process by which tournaments are awarded is, just, crooked. It’s also true that no nation has a right to determine how another one is run, IMO. In between nations, sits FIFA. Should it determine how nations are run? Bearing in mind how corrupt it is itself? Hell no. The awarding to Russia and Qatar in 2010 was the nadir of that corruption. The process has now changed as pretty much all the delegates have since been found criminally corrupt. The sty has not been cleaned, so much as we’d like, but it’s less smelly, but still massively hypocritical.

I think all I’m saying really is that the joy football brings should be shared around the whole world, not confined to either western approved places or moneyed oil states, and start with that principle above all.

no. but i don't think a world cup should be held in any country where homosexuality is against the law. nor should it be held anywhere where the law prohibits a solo traveling female fan from attending a match (so saudi shouldn't be considered).

FIFA's own values is that football is for everyone, and any country that goes against these values shouldn't hold the WC

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I read that the next WC is going to be 32 teams,is that correct ?

The current world cup is 32 teams. next world cup will be 48 teams.

it will make the group stage a bit of a mockery

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Sure, but think of those extra 16 votes for Infantino. 

What a joke. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I can't wait for Panama vs Finland or Greece vs Gabon in an 80000 seater stadium

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tomav84 said:

no. but i don't think a world cup should be held in any country where homosexuality is against the law. nor should it be held anywhere where the law prohibits a solo traveling female fan from attending a match (so saudi shouldn't be considered).

FIFA's own values is that football is for everyone, and any country that goes against these values shouldn't hold the WC

Yet you didn’t mind much when it was held in the USA, where paedophilia is legal, but abortion isn’t?

https://populationmatters.org/news/2021/04/child-marriage-in-the-us-where-is-the-outrage/

29 April 2021

Girls as young as ten are legally getting married in the United States – nearly 300,000 since 2000, according to a new report by Unchained At Last. With no protective federal law in place, over 20 states allow for child marriage at 16 years, and 10 have no age limit whatsoever. Population Matters Outreach Coordinator Florence Blondel uncovers an ugly and little-known truth.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

I can't wait for Panama vs Finland or Greece vs Gabon in an 80000 seater stadium

I used to enjoy the World Cup, but I've begun to realize what a high percentage of matches are bores. Letting in another 16 teams that don't belong there is just going to mean more teams playing for draws with cynical tactics. Sorry, but at this point, I'll take the Premier League over the World Cup 100% of the time.

8 minutes ago, YLN said:

Well at least the paedophiles are doing the honourable thing

Lol, good point.

I just find the whole ‘holier than thou’ argument tiresome.  What if the Germans had made a huge issue about the Euros being held in England because of our backward attitudes to prostitution? Do you remember the constant talk about that when we held the Euros?  Arm bands being worn in solidarity for the prostitutes living under draconian laws? No? Of course not.

Or the Dutch saying the Euros should not be held somewhere where Cannabis is illegal?  Isn’t it a human right to be able to consume what you wish if you are a consenting adult?

Let me remind you that the next World Cup is in USA again, so let’s see our manager and FA  are going to wear close ‘Guantanamo bay armbands’, and give ‘end child marriage’ interviews, and we can count the number of posts on here ‘condemning’ the decision to award the World Cup to country with flagrant human rights abuses.

Leave the politics out of football, or there will be no World Cup.

The number of lives we affected/destroyed by our illegal invasion of iraq will dwarf any accusation we can throw at the Qataris, so how about we get the **** off our high horse?

And let me remind you, it was the BRITISH that introduced anti-gay laws in many of the countries where it is still illegal in the first damn place.

/rant.

Â