World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

14 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

The guy in a thread about Qatar talking about Germany, Holland and USA thinking itโ€™s mean to call him out on it. How ironic.

Getting the George Galloway vibes when one mentions โ€˜western brainwashingโ€™ in a thread where one spends time defending a dictatorial regime because โ€˜others are mean too!!!!1โ€™

When did I say it was mean to call me out on it?

Some people canโ€™t read.

Call me out on it. ย I completely expected to be called out on it. ย Just donโ€™t doctor what Iโ€™m saying.

For those that have difficulty in grasping basic concepts:

1) Encouraging the Qatariโ€™s to be more accepting of all people no matter what their colour creed or preference is absolutely a must and I support that.

2) I would encourage the SAME enthusiasm with which you are condemning the hosts of this World Cup for their shortcomings, in condemning for the hosts of the NEXT World Cup for THEIR shortcomings.

ย 

No supporting dictators. ย No accepting of discrimination. Nothing. I have zero affiliation with Qatar. ย I just find hypocrisy intolerable.ย 

Just a good old โ€˜whatโ€™s good for the goose, is good for the gander.โ€™

If you think I need protecting from my opinion, or that that opinion needs โ€˜calling outโ€™ then thatโ€™s your shortcoming, not mine.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thug said:

1) Encouraging the Qatariโ€™s to be more accepting of all people no matter what their colour creed or preference is absolutely a must and I support that.

2) I would encourage the SAME enthusiasm with which you are condemning the hosts of this World Cup for their shortcomings, in condemning for the hosts of the NEXT World Cup for THEIR shortcomings.

ย 

No supporting dictators. ย No accepting of discrimination. Nothing. I have zero affiliation with Qatar. ย I just find hypocrisy intolerable.ย 

I'd agree with this as an overall principle, but the waters get quite muddy when you're bringing in certain aspects.ย  For example, abortion is not illegal in the United States... however,ย some statesย have decided to make it illegal there.

Whereas, as another example, homosexuality is illegal in Qatar.ย  Full stop.ย  No grey issues there - it's illegal.

ย 

On corruption, I think that's, sadly, everywhere and very hard to differentiate between countries - even if some governments are worse than others.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone see that Iranian reporter be kind of a prick to the us captain tyler adams?

What maturity he showed in how he answered that question. The Iranian was clearly trying to provoke a reaction out of him

Nah I'm glad someone called the yanks out on pronunciation, forget football he should have gone to town on him

"patronise? **** patronise?? Its patronise and pick the irony out of that"

Should have doubled down and thrown in fahrenheit and their calendar dates too

Edited by villa4europe
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Thug said:

When did I say it was mean to call me out on it?

Some people canโ€™t read.

Call me out on it. ย I completely expected to be called out on it. ย Just donโ€™t doctor what Iโ€™m saying.

ย 

If you think I need protecting from my opinion, or that that opinion needs โ€˜calling outโ€™ then thatโ€™s your shortcoming, not mine.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

In your wisdom of complaining about USA in a Qatar thread, did you even realise that in I.e England our league uses a minute before every game to protest USAs racism? Itโ€™s not like no one in the UK is complaining about the US. Instead youโ€™re lumping everyone into a box where everyone praises all democracies and no one has the right to call out Qatar on their Stone Age view of women and other minorities โ€˜because of gitmoโ€™ย 

Itโ€™s almost like you think criticising a regime in which women are property means no one understands that other states have issues too.ย 

There is definitely shades of grey, but FIFAs last two host countries are WAY darker than USA.

Edited by magnkarl

Stuart Andrew, the sports minister, has said he will wear the OneLove armband at the England v Wales World Cup match in Qatar tomorrow.

Mr Andrew, himself a member of the LGBTQ+ community, said he is "not going to shy away from who I am".

The UK's first openly gay sports minister said he was determined to make the gesture even though the world's football governing body FIFA has warned players they could be booked for making political protests.ย 

Asked whether he would wear the armband and risk upsetting the World Cup host, Mr Andrew told the Evening Standard: "I absolutely will be doing so.

"I'm not going to shy away from who I am.

"Our message very much is that no one should have to hide who they are."

Sky

He's my MP, and he's a wazzock. But on this occasion, good for him.ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I honestly think less people will. Obviously there will stillย  be huge audiences.

But I think the more matches we get, the less people are going to tune into games like Burkina Faso vs Latvia

FlawedFoolhardyDoctorfish-size_restricte

But yeah, the new format is stupid and it's pointless that so many teams will be flying to wherever just to play a measly two **** matches. Dismal. But I'll still watch!

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

FlawedFoolhardyDoctorfish-size_restricte

But yeah, the new format is stupid and it's pointless that so many teams will be flying to wherever just to play a measly two **** matches. Dismal. But I'll still watch!

With a flight in between those 2 matches probably too

Still a bit hard to understand the full logistics of the tournament at the moment, with no real thought to it I'm going to lazily guess its impossible to have a dead rubber in a 3 team group when 2 qualify?

But I do think fifa should allow for KO time manipulation to suit the teams audience, England vs Japan should be a morning game not an evening game etc just a bit of common sense... So that won't happen

ร—
ร—
ร‚