World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

3 hours ago, TomC said:

I used to enjoy the World Cup, but I've begun to realize what a high percentage of matches are bores. Letting in another 16 teams that don't belong there is just going to mean more teams playing for draws with cynical tactics. Sorry, but at this point, I'll take the Premier League over the World Cup 100% of the time.

I would have less teams not more because of this.

4 hours ago, Thug said:

I just find the whole ‘holier than thou’ argument tiresome.

it's not a 'holier than thou' argument. the point i made is that the laws of the qatar and saudi prohibit certain fans attending the games. this is contrary to FIFA's 'football is for everyone' line so unless FIFA retracts this line, these countries should not hold world cups. it's really not difficult.

i'm sure i could read through the laws of every country in the world and find some i disagree with. this isn't the point here.

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Premier League football can't come soon enough.

Amazing what a new manager and a couple of good results can do.  When we were stuck in the mire of turgid Gerrard I was saying that the World Cup couldn't come soon enough.

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The current world cup is 32 teams. next world cup will be 48 teams.

it will make the group stage a bit of a mockery

Not gonna lie but **** hell that's too many games.  4 gamss a day alone is excessive. I love my football but even i been skipping some games as its just too much. So god knows how they gonna make this work.

More fans as well so how are smaller countries going to accommodate all the fans 

Nothing wrong with current format of 32 teams

Edited by Demitri_C

4 hours ago, tomav84 said:

it's not a 'holier than thou' argument. the point i made is that the laws of the qatar and saudi prohibit certain fans attending the games. this is contrary to FIFA's 'football is for everyone' line so unless FIFA retracts this line, these countries should not hold world cups. it's really not difficult.

i'm sure i could read through the laws of every country in the world and find some i disagree with. this isn't the point here.

What fans are prohibited from attending games?

Tired of going through this, but do you think their aren't gay people who live here already?

Do gay people have special Identification cards and passports?

Does the average gay person walk around with a loud speaker announcing their sexual orientation and " I'm gay " written across their forehead?

Just like straight people, flaunting sexual stuff or certain slogans etc in public in certain settings isn't encouraged here. People are just desperate to drive a point ffs.

No one is " prohibited " from attending games ffs.

Just like with everything else... There are segments of people who are desperate for attention or a story, and will do anything to get it 

" Look at me... Look at me... Please victimise me " 🙄

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Not gonna lie but **** hell that's too many games.  4 gamss a day alone is excessive. I love my football but even i been skipping some games as its just too much. So god knows how they gonna make this work.

More fans as well so how are smaller countries going to accommodate all the fans 

Yeah that new format sounds absolute bullshit. 

For all the negativity around Qatar it almost feels like it's going to be the last proper World Cup.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tomav84 said:

Utter nonsense.

You show me the law that says if you’re gay you can’t attend FIFA World Cup matches. (ie the law has nothing to do with football)

Can the detainees at Guantanamo Bay get to the World Cup games in 2026?  You know, the ones that have been held illegally without charge or fair trial or access to lawyers, and a total disregard for their human rights for 20 years?

No? Then how about you start questioning awarding the next World Cup to North America - a country with known human rights abuses and war crimes for decades.  Or does that not fit your narrative that was fed to you by the western press?

Qatar is a country that doesn’t burden its citizens with crippling taxes (income tax of 0% vs 45% here), has some of the lowest crime rates in the world, free (or atleast heavily subsidised) access to health care (vs USA) 

Yes they have some catching up to do when it comes to LGBT rights, but that’s minor compared to the shit that our American friends and our own corrupt leadership get up to.

RE:

[i'm sure i could read through the laws of every country in the world and find some i disagree with. this isn't the point here.]

But that’s EXACTLY the point though, isn’t it?  You’re saying that the World Cup shouldn’t be held there because you don’t agree with their law.  Yet it’s ok for the World Cup to be held in the USA because their actions are not relevant to  their suitability in hosting a World Cup?

Where are the endless TV documentaries about the American child marriage laws? Or their human rights abuses? Or their corrupt politicians? Or their proxy wars? Or does that not meet the British press agenda?

Will there be an interview with Southgate about what he thinks about their abortion laws or Gun laws? Will the england team pretend they want to wear armbands in support of the Guantanamo Prisoners, only to u-turn at the last minute and blame the threat imposed on them by the US government?

I won’t hold my breath waiting for your critical comments about them in 2026. 

48 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Tired of going through this, but do you think their aren't gay people who live here already?

Does the average gay person walk around with a loud speaker announcing their sexual orientation and " I'm gay " written across their forehead?

Just like straight people, flaunting sexual stuff or certain slogans etc in public in certain settings isn't encouraged here. People are just desperate to drive a point ffs.

Just like with everything else... There are segments of people who are desperate for attention or a story, and will do anything to get it 

the rainbow flag has been prohibited from entering the stadiums and there are various videos showing that

and hypothetically, if a gay person wanted to walk around with "i'm gay" written across their forehead, they should be allowed to. it's who they are and they cannot change that. are you saying that would be permitted in qatar?

there is a law that prevents someone from being who they are. it's no different than if a country had a law to say it's illegal to be disabled.

8 minutes ago, Thug said:

Utter nonsense.

You show me the law that says if you’re gay you can’t attend FIFA World Cup matches. (ie the law has nothing to do with football)

Can the detainees at Guantanamo Bay get to the World Cup games in 2026?  You know, the ones that have been held illegally without charge or fair trial or access to lawyers, and a total disregard for their human rights for 20 years?

No? Then how about you start questioning awarding the next World Cup to North America - a country with known human rights abuses and war crimes for decades.  Or does that not fit your narrative that was fed to you by the western press?

Qatar is a country that doesn’t burden its citizens with crippling taxes (income tax of 0% vs 45% here), has some of the lowest crime rates in the world, free (or atleast heavily subsidised) access to health care (vs USA) 

Yes they have some catching up to do when it comes to LGBT rights, but that’s minor compared to the shit that our American friends and our own corrupt leadership get up to.

RE:

[i'm sure i could read through the laws of every country in the world and find some i disagree with. this isn't the point here.]

But that’s EXACTLY the point though, isn’t it?  You’re saying that the World Cup shouldn’t be held there because you don’t agree with their law.  Yet it’s ok for the World Cup to be held in the USA because their actions are not relevant to  their suitability in hosting a World Cup?

Where are the endless TV documentaries about the American child marriage laws? Or their human rights abuses? Or their corrupt politicians? Or their proxy wars? Or does that not meet the British press agenda?

Will there be an interview with Southgate about what he thinks about their abortion laws or Gun laws? Will the england team pretend they want to wear armbands in support of the Guantanamo Prisoners, only to u-turn at the last minute and blame the threat imposed on them by the US government?

it's not a question of whether you or i agree with whatever laws the country has - i'll repeat myself - it's in contradiction to FIFA's own values around football being for everyone. 

OK - lets take qatar out of the equation - in saudi, it is illegal for women to attend a sporting event on their own. this means that if a WC was held in saudi, then by definition it would not be for everyone. therefore a WC should not be held there

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Thug said:

Utter nonsense.

RE:

Did you just compare terrorists to gay people? I find it ironic that the one complaining about rights just did that.

Do you even know who’s at gitmo?

Only a couple of days ago people with a rainbow coloured hat was prohibited from entering the stadium. That is a law prohibiting gay people.

Then you’ve got the fact that Qatari women can’t attend games alone without their owner (husband or father). I love it how some people can’t help themselves with the whataboutism.

Being a prostitute or smoking weed is not the same as being a woman or homosexual, do you really need that explaining?

Constantly comparing Qatar to whatever is whataboutism. The tournament is happening right now, in Qatar. Not in the US, Germany or Holland. 

To do what you just did. Do you know how people are treated in jail in Qatar and other Emirates? You complain about laws but then jump straight over the part where Qatar has no fair trials, no human rights and essentially do whatever they like to people in jail.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Totally agree. FIFA coming out with the lame excuse “ we want to give more countries the chance to participate at the World Cup “ Every country already has the chance to play at a World Cup. It’s called qualification. 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

hey, genuine question of interest if you dont mind.

Do you live in Qatar for work or is it your country of birth etc?

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Yeah that new format sounds absolute bullshit. 

For all the negativity around Qatar it almost feels like it's going to be the last proper World Cup.

3 team / 2 game groups sounds terrible and it almost certainly will be.

Look at the group dynamics in this World Cup - only 2 teams are out and 3 qualified from the group, not necessarily as winners. So much to play for it's going to be fascinating.

However, writing that has made me realise there can't be anyone out (aside from basically on a heavy GD loss) out after the first match, so no dead rubbers or cagey 2nd round group games.

Either way, I really hate the 24 team Euro format with 6 groups of 4 - 4/6 3rd place teams going through, pathways can't be calculated until after all matches completed. Awful. I'm glad the 48 team World Cup didn't go the same way (12 groups of 4) just to see the difference if nothing else.

**** it, if they're this expanded you might as well just do a 32 team Euros (Vatican City might qualify one day!) and 64 team WC.

Edited by fightoffyour

18 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Did you just compare terrorists to gay people? I find it ironic that the one complaining about rights just did that.

Do you even know who’s at gitmo?

Only a couple of days ago people with a rainbow coloured hat was prohibited from entering the stadium. That is a law prohibiting gay people.

Then you’ve got the fact that Qatari women can’t attend games alone without their owner (husband or father). I love it how some people can’t help themselves with the whataboutism.

Being a prostitute or smoking weed is not the same as being a woman or homosexual, do you really need that explaining?

Constantly comparing Qatar to whatever is whataboutism. The tournament is happening right now, in Qatar. Not in the US, Germany or Holland. 

To do what you just did. Do you know how people are treated in jail in Qatar and other Emirates? You complain about laws but then jump straight over the part where Qatar has no fair trials, no human rights and essentially do whatever they like to people in jail.

Thank you.  You just proved my point about western brainwashing.  

700+ detainees were released without charge after over a decade of illegal imprisonment. This means they were NOT terrorists.

They were held based on no evidence, tortured, and released with no charges after YEARS of imprisonment.

Did YOU just compare gay people allegedly not being able to attend a football game to someone being imprisoned and tortured for no reason?

Whataboutism - there it is.  Was waiting for this. The world that is immediately reached for by people wanting to criticise others and not wishing to be criticised themselves.   The tool of the prejudiced to hide their prejudice behind.

‘Stop eating the cookies steve.’

‘But Dave, Ralph and John are eating cookies, and you’re handing them out!’

’Whataboutism.  We’re not talking about them, we’re talking about you!’

’So you gonna stop them?’

’you’re a whataboutist.’

’well, are you?’

’Total whataboutery.’

At what point did I say that bring a woman or being gay is the same as smoking weed or being a prostitute?  Do YOU need explaining what is meant by having laws that other countries may find backwards?  Not comparing.

Â