World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The most depressing part of it all is Saudi Arabia will win their bid in 2030

Was thinking the same.  I think SA will up their involvement in sport, similar to how Qatar did initially (bidding for WC and buying PSG).  Don't be surprised if Ronaldo moves to Newcastle on a huge contract, with a deal in place to move to a Saudi team in 2024, just as the bidding for WC 2030 begins.  And Messi has also recently signed some sponsorship deal with the Saudi's. 

17 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The most depressing part of it all is Saudi Arabia will win their bid in 2030. 

i think there will be worldwide protests. not a big enough fuss was made about this WC until it was too late.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The most depressing part of it all is Saudi Arabia will win their bid in 2030. 

It's not unlikely, unless 2023 is the year where Putin, FIFA and other totalitarian people\organisations are actually brought to heel. The viewing figures for this World Cup aren't looking great for FIFA, but that might have to do with the timing.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate why is everyone ignoring the gay FIFA Official who was beside Infantino when he made his speech?

The bloke spoke up himself about the " issues " as well. Why is everyone ignoring this?

What does that have to do with anything?

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate why is everyone ignoring the gay FIFA Official who was beside Infantino when he made his speech?

The bloke spoke up himself about the " issues " as well. Why is everyone ignoring this?

Defending Qatar based on you living there is one thing but don't try and defend fifa and infantino...

Corrupt and inept, **** clowns the lot of em

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

What does that have to do with anything?

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Defending Qatar based on you living there is one thing but don't try and defend fifa and infantino...

Corrupt and inept, **** clowns the lot of em

Fair points.

I retract.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Another thing people are missing, is that we have a very diverse fanbase from all over the World.

This includes many Arabs, which while they might not post, or you might not know who they are, they are PROPER fans, and actually matter.

I personally know.some of them, and they are great people.

The casual prejudice/ racism and bigoted type commenting where you're essentially lumping whole nations of people into the a category due to how you may perceive their regime's also isn't right. IMO

I agree, but almost all that I’m seeing is criticism of the Qatari state and politics. People calling the entire country backwards for example is wrong, my focus is on the politics. 

• Like 1

My hopes for a tournament that wasn't good, so as not to white wash the problems with FIFA having awarded the tournament to Qatar seem to have gone unfulfilled.

The results are everything a football world cup is about, just a shame its forever tainted. 

29 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

My hopes for a tournament that wasn't good, so as not to white wash the problems with FIFA having awarded the tournament to Qatar seem to have gone unfulfilled.

The results are everything a football world cup is about, just a shame its forever tainted. 

I dunno, the 2 great shocks aside and some good games there are also 3 out of the 10 played so far that have been 0-0

That said I'm sure it's the first game jitters and wanting not to lose, I'd say 2nd half of the Qatar game was poor and the Croatia game earlier was the first real dull 90 minute stinker 

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I dunno, the 2 great shocks aside and some good games there are also 3 out of the 10 played so far that have been 0-0

That said I'm sure it's the first game jitters and wanting not to lose, I'd say 2nd half of the Qatar game was poor and the Croatia game earlier was the first real dull 90 minute stinker 

I'm only really seeing the results and a smattering of the comments that get posted here about the games.  I'm about as uninvested in it as I can be, but when a match result makes the main news headlines I know its getting a level of positive attention I'd rather it didn't.

Sounds like most viewing figures are below the norm. Not sure it's even close to enough to make FIFA care or think twice about hosting a future world cup in a similarly inappropriate location. 

Â