World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

2 hours ago, DeepDish said:

Some very interesting numbers from the Norwegian broadcasters after the first matches.

Last World Cup, 1.02 million people watched the match in group games between Brasil and Switzerland. So far the numbers are highest in the match between France and Australia. Just 328,000 saw the match on our free national broadcaster. The channel has shown 7 matches with an average of 188,000 viewers. Last World Cup the average for the group games was 521,000 viewers.

If this is something we see in more countries, I would say that the combination of WC at the winter and in a place we do not have much faith in regarding human rights will be something the sponsors would notice.

Saw on dw earlier that the trend is even worse in Germany. FIFA started a fire that’s going to be hard to put out. They may not like western liberalism, but they do like the western buying power for their sponsors. With those numbers I imagine Coca Cola gets more bang for their buck somewhere else.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Genie said:

Apparently FIFA have moved to explain why attendances are above the official stadium capacity’s (especially taking into account lots of empty seats).

Some examples:

Qatar vs Ecuador – 67,372 (Stadium capacity = 60,000)

England vs Iran – 45,334 (Stadium capacity = 40,000)

Senegal vs Netherlands – 41,721 (Stadium capacity = 40,000)

USA vs Wales – 43,418 (Stadium capacity = 40,000).

In summary, FIFA and Qatar are cooking the books. Probably in an attempt to talk about how the stadiums were more full than any other World Cup. 

GiveMeSport

Tickets sold.. lol. Given they've sold all tickets,  even if only to themselves, I'll be amazed if there is a single game that doesn't show a 99% capacity.

In the scheme of things, this is just comical. The TV viewing figures will show the true apathy or anger that most people have towards this farce of a competition.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Tickets sold.. lol. Given they've sold all tickets,  even if only to themselves, I'll be amazed if there is a single game that doesn't show a 99% capacity.

In the scheme of things, this is just comical. The TV viewing figures will show the true apathy or anger that most people have towards this farce of a competition.

Most games have over 100% capacity 😂😂

4 hours ago, DeepDish said:

Some very interesting numbers from the Norwegian broadcasters after the first matches.

Last World Cup, 1.02 million people watched the match in group games between Brasil and Switzerland. So far the numbers are highest in the match between France and Australia. Just 328,000 saw the match on our free national broadcaster. The channel has shown 7 matches with an average of 188,000 viewers. Last World Cup the average for the group games was 521,000 viewers.

If this is something we see in more countries, I would say that the combination of WC at the winter and in a place we do not have much faith in regarding human rights will be something the sponsors would notice.

In my office is probably 20 people but WFH restrictions means an even bigger team and think 2 have spoke about the tournament

Every other tournament has been a sweepstake or similar but nothing has been even spoke about

Edited by Zatman

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

In my office is probably 20 people but WFH restrictions means an even bigger team and think 2 have spoke about the tournament

Every other tournament has been a sweepstake or similar but nothing has been even spoke about

I've been working from home well over 2 years and no talk about WC at all. Normally there would be a sweep and folks talking about it. Nothing at all for this one. 

3 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I've been working from home well over 2 years and no talk about WC at all. Normally there would be a sweep and folks talking about it. Nothing at all for this one. 

I’m not surprised there has been no chat in the office if you’re working from home. Maybe you should bring it up with the cat next time you pass each other in the hall?

• Like 1

FIFA have u-turned and have now said they’ll allow rainbow bucket hats and flags into the stadium for the Wales/Iran game today. It seems the FAW wrote to FIFA explaining that they’d promised an open and inclusive World Cup, and FIFA have since changed their minds. 

No mention of other games or arm bands though. 

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I’m not surprised there has been no chat in the office if you’re working from home. Maybe you should bring it up with the cat next time you pass each other in the hall?

Don't have a cat

I speak to folks at work all day and noone has mentioned it, we also message each other and nothing there either

15 hours ago, DeepDish said:

I was wondering something DeepDish, isn't the national broadcaster a tax subsidised service like the BBC? How does a country so out of favour with this world cup react to the extraordinary fees paid to FIFA for the showing rights? I presume there isn't a democracy on what the Norwegian broadcaster pays for? I would've assumed that spending the amount of cash FIFA wants for this dogcrap is a huge chunk of their budget?

Iranian players "chose" to mouth the words to the national anthem this time. You'd imagine the threat of torture and jail to them and their families will have played a massive part in this.

Read an article the other day pointing out it seems a little weird everyone is dogpiling Qatar for being an awful place that doesn’t respect freedom or tolerate homosexuality when the last World Cup was in Russia which was hardly a bastion of freedom even at the time and is literally now committing genocide in Ukraine, and the last Winter Olympics were held this year in autocratic China (also currently committing genocide and threatening to invade Taiwan), and there was nowhere near as much fuss about either.

It does seem a double standard now I’ve had it pointed out to me.

Edited by Panto_Villan

From a personal standpoint my enthusiasm is less than usual for this World Cup but beyond the stadium deaths I struggle to find a reason to boycott that I'd contradict elsewhere.

The South Africa and Russia World Cup bids were every bit as corrupt and I fully consumed those.

I follow a league that accepts clubs being owned by the Saudi and UAE regimes.

I never have but I'd considering travelling to one of the oil rich nations in the area.  (I imagine lots of people enraged by this tournament have been to Dubai/Abu Dhabi for instance).

Therefore I am going to fully partake in this month of wall to wall football on TV whilst they've taken my beloved Villa away.

Â